FC 2 Opinion

wilbur81

Is anyone else kind of disappointed with FC 2.0's lack of in-game graphical scalability options (manually changing graphics.cfg and .lua's does not count)? I'm coming from thousands of hours on 1.12b and not Black Shark (I do not own it). I find FC 2 to be somewhat, how can I describe it...closed? or fixed? It seems more arcade-ish than FC 1.X, like the user has less ability to get "inside" the simulation to tweak and configure it. I read on these forums about all the changes people are having to make in order to make the sim look graphically acceptable and those changes involve messing with codes and files outside the sim. With the apparent lack of development of a new version of LOCFG for FC 2.0, I sure wish the new sim had more in-game access to tweaking/configuring.

ps - on a positive note, It's great to see how ED has improved night flying visuals....much darker and more realistic

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

No..

I think FC2 looks better to me than FC1 did after hours of tweaking.

(payloads are too restrictive, now solely in the mission designers hands, in FC2... but that is the only backward step in my opinion)

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

manually changing graphics.cfg and .lua's does not count

those changes involve messing with codes and files outside the sim.

I disagree, I don't think there's any particular need for them to have to provide a graphical interface for every tweak/adjustment/etc. I think modifying .cfg and .lua files does count and I wouldn't consider those "outside" the sim, they are the sim configuration files. I'm impressed at how configurable ED's stuff is, BS and FC2, in that they provide all the .lua and .cfg files rigth there in the open allowing anyone to configure it. No need to put a million options in a UI, just provide as many as possible and people can then modify they to fit their needs.

No, I can't say I am disappointed by FC2.0!!!

The lack of scalability options is a "matter" and the lack of weapons load-out is a disadvantage to me BUT these aren't game characteristics... Two examples :

1) Who criticized CoD4 for its limited options in graphics menu? I find it "poor" but its not bad since the game runs smooth on medium systems.

2) Did you ever thought Janes USNF or ATF as superior sims cause you could change loadouts? I think no.

As a sim FC2.0 is very good... it could be better but its not disappointing.

No need to put a million options in a UI, just provide as many as possible and people can then modify they to fit their needs.

Couldn't agree more. So why didn't they provide as many possible options so that people can then modify them to fit their needs? Too bad we lost water detail, haze, and terrain distance options in game. I'm still hoping that some folks will release some FPS Tweaks for FC 2.0

ps - I cannot get the Frames Per Second counter to work, even when I try assigning it to different key strokes (like the good old RCTRL = BKSPC)

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Couldn't agree more. So why didn't they provide as many possible options so that people can then modify them to fit their needs? Too bad we lost water detail, haze, and terrain distance options in game. I'm still hoping that some folks will release some FPS Tweaks for FC 2.0

ps - I cannot get the Frames Per Second counter to work, even when I try assigning it to different key strokes (like the good old RCTRL = BKSPC)

The manual says that frame counter is RCTRL + Pause. Does that fix it? If not try mapping to a custom key.

I have software that can set all the options, including those not shown in the LockOn GUI. One day I might get around to writing a GUI for it, but at the moment it is a low priority for me (have other stuff to do, like player statistics and mission generation/dynamic campaign).

Edited by Moa

I’m very satisfied and impress with the outcome of FC2. The only lack there off is the missing campaigns for the Su, Migs, etc… However I heard they are working on that. So hats off on those working on them.

I like of not having to go through a third party for being able to play MP. However some progress in that area would be a nice touch. Aka “chat” rooms would be a nice addition.

As for the Visual, I’m very impress. I like the new sound engine. It is very graphically customizable, however true; you need to edit the LUA files.

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

Weapon Loadouts should not be a problem for anyone, it is quite simple to open the lua file for the aircraft you want to add something to and add the weapon you want to the pylon list for whatever pylon you want to hang it on.

To identify a specific weapon can be a little tricky, the easy way to do it is open up Lomac and in the MEini file each weapon is identified by it's unique CLSID ref number and what it actually is, the same numbers are used in BS and LFC2. Example:

CLSID="{ADD3FAE1-EBF6-4EF9-8EFC-B36B5DDF1E6B}" Name="Mk20" Picture="ROCKEYE"

Copy and Paste into BS or LFC2 in the same format as they use and when you go into the Mission Editor it will be there to select under a new loadout option - simples !