Diveplanes updated Audio

diveplane

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Fraser, you can only do what you can with whats available, i can understand that, still really looking forward to this mod :thumbup:

really it wont get much better than what me and frazer can do guys, so its the best we are going to get within lockon, considering the limitations. videos so far prove the audio is very realistic now to real life.

Just a note there though: videos only tell you how a real engine sounds through a given microphone and audio recording device. There is no guarantee that it is what would be heard by a "real ear". Videos as "proof" only go so far.

That said, most of what I've heard from your demo vids are fairly close to what I've heard IRL, so superb job done. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yea speaking of the limitations, the new 3D sound engine makes the immersion and quality of the sounds much better (and also almost bug free). Still though, the new 3D soundengine is really only an overlay. A better name for the new 3D soundengine would be "3D sound processor".

We are still dealing with the exact same hardcoded sound files that did not change since the very first LockOn. You can only replace these sounds, you can not make new sounds with new "triggers". We can only make the game sound fully real if ED (and they will with DCS:A10 and other new DCS series) codes new soundfiles with their hardcoded triggers.

As example "Planewind". This sound will be hearable from speeds from ~60km/h up to unlimited. The trigger is the speed.

Now, without going in to too many details. Real jets sound very diverse (like tens of different sounds in different situations). In lockon, we are basically dealing with 4 soundfiles.....

PlaneFrontEngine

PlaneBackEngine

PlaneWind

PlaneAfterburer

And then, the PlaneFrontEngine must sound good both on the ground, and in the air, at high and slow speeds. PlaneWind must sound good at a cargo aircaft, aswell as a jet, aswell when the jet has the engines off.

In short, we are very limited.....

Hapily we can edit sdef files, with which you can edit the sound behaviour like ranges and angles a little bit, but that is in fact only for finetuning.

We do the best we can with these few files, but only ED would be able to give us the ultimate realism, which is absolutely possible with the new 3D soundprocessor! (The future is bright :D)

Edited by Frazer
  • Like 1

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yea speaking of the limitations, the new 3D sound engine makes the immersion and quality of the sounds much better (and also almost bug free). Still though, the new 3D soundengine is really only an overlay. A better name for the new 3D soundengine would be "3D sound processor".

We are still dealing with the exact same hardcoded sound files that did not change since the very first LockOn. You can only replace these sounds, you can not make new sounds with new "triggers". We can only make the game sound fully real if ED (and they will with DCS:A10 and other new DCS series) codes new soundfiles with their hardcoded triggers.

As example "Planewind". This sound will be hearable from speeds from ~60km/h up to unlimited. The trigger is the speed.

Now, without going in to too many details. Real jets sound very diverse (like tens of different sounds in different situations). In lockon, we are basically dealing with 4 soundfiles.....

PlaneFrontEngine

PlaneBackEngine

PlaneWind

PlaneAfterburer

And then, the PlaneFrontEngine must sound good both on the ground, and in the air, at high and slow speeds. PlaneWind must sound good at a cargo aircaft, aswell as a jet, aswell when the jet has the engines off.

In short, we are very limited.....

Hapily we can edit sdef files, with which you can edit the sound behaviour like ranges and angles a little bit, but that is in fact only for finetuning.

We do the best we can with these few files, but only ED would be able to give us the ultimate realism, which is absolutely possible with the new 3D soundprocessor! (The future is bright :D)

thank you for to explain to us these details and for to give us also examples for to understand better..

after this, I can understand very better what you and diveplanes are doing with this work, as now I understand better what mean to have limitations or what mean to have another sound engine for to work completely better..

I think that Eagle Dynamics will hear you and every people here that (I am sure!) would like to have finally a powerful sound engine with high fidelity/quality .. years ago they started to create a wonderful game/simulator and I will be always gratefull for this, and now again they are doing a fantastic work (FC2 and DCS) .. the biggest work is did, but sometime some detail can make special something already beautiful...

I wish that ED will ask your help for this job soon.. :)

cheers!:smilewink:

working on some of the gun sounds , atm.

great to hear, diveplane. Can we expect a release this week, not to rush you I am just really excited for this new sound! Sound is half the experience!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

Final video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJn0z_jTOZ8

showing some of the Tank APC Engine and track audios, along with the powerful AAA Gun and bmp small gun.

best your going to achieve in lockon sound engine. not bad at all,

a lot of the gun audios are shared, found that the infantry share the same audio as the AAA sound, so nothing i can do for this.

rather have a powerful AAA sound over a weak audio, sadly the m16s ak47 infantry will sound heavy, along with some of the other models guns.

final tweaks and testing going on now.

thx all.

Edited by diveplane

:thumbup:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

will be creating 2 audio packages guys

1= OGG FORMAT =at 22KHz Sound range all of the files will be played in mono format.

this will still sound ok, not as good as higher ranges though and stereo effects will be lost with this, however this will have advantage in less cpu audio processing and gain frame rates over the wav package, intended for low end to med systems, with basic audio cards.

.................................................................................................

2= WAV FORMAT

this package will be a mixture of high quality stereo mono 22KHz/44.1KHz range .Wav format sounds , this is uncompressed audio that will be played back in the lockon world,

previous thread videos showed this format playback.

intended for med to high end pcs only with EAX Sound cards X-fi or any other card of high quality that can handle big audios. , downside using this package may loose slight framerates.

stay tuned guys working on formats now and testing them.

Audio Mod will be avalible at lockonfiles.com

finishing the mod format packages here , everything in testing my end looks ok runs great.

packages will be modman 7.2.0.0 ready install

1=.wav version

2=.ogg version

and the added extra content will be provided as well

incockpit audio details

1= low

2= med

3= high

and also in both audio formats = performance or quality..

this can be added manually in the audio sound folder within lockon 2.0,

choice is there for the player in which audio they like inside the aircraft.

however full audio is the realistic setting inside the aircraft.

will post up when its ready for download at lockonfiles.com

thx all... was great fun making this mod and tweaking it.

real as it gets.

Edited by diveplane

Ok audio is uploaded to lockonfiles , however its awaiting approval.

We have received your Download submission.

We currently have 23 submissions waiting for vailidation.

Thank You!

site link here , need to register in order to download

http://www.lockonfiles.com/

if there is a problem with the mod will investigate and fix it. hope its smooth sailing for you guys during install.

enjoy all.

ps mind turn the volumes way up and enjoy the power. hehe