Tank Plinking

Lio

Yes ive learned a new term :)

Ok so ive been practicing my bombing skills using the GBU-12 since ive found trying to hit hard targets using MK82's is just not realistic.

Now my problem is the GBU-12 is widly inaccurate for hitting tanks. The documentation do say it got a 9 meter impact radius which seems about right with the results im getting.

Maybe its just a problem with me being use to LGB's being spot on in other flightsims.

I find it helps a bit if im up high at like 10.000 feet compared to maybe 5000 ft. using the CCRP flying straight and level when dropping.

Anyone who have any hints or i just have to get used to having to ripple 2-3 bombs to get a certain kill in one pass.

I get the same results as you, and it makes it a little bit more exciting IMO ;) Thats why I like the LGbs and Mavs over the JDAMs, because the JDAMs are just no challenge at all :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

The LGB model is still a WIP so isn't quite there yet.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

The LGB model is still a WIP so isn't quite there yet.

It wasnt so much critisim more just a question. I mean as it is now seems realistic enough given the 9 meter accuracy stated in the manual.

But if your telling me its WIP and the accuracy will actualy improve thats just awesome :P

Looking at TGB camera films of LGB's being dropped, they do seem very accurate.

Try manual laser. After bomb release, on the bottom/right of the TGP, you should see a countdown in a black box, when it gets to 10, press NWS switch, this should activate the laser if you have it in manual. So far I have gotten the closest by doing this. Also aim a bit long.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

From limited experience, LGB's seem to be much more accurate if dropped from medium altitudes (8000ft and above). I've been able to score direct hits on armoured targets pretty reliably when doing this. At lower altitudes I often miss by several meters.

I've no idea if this reflects the real-world performance of these weapons, but I'm pretty sure that this is how LGB's are typically used in practice.

Try manual laser. After bomb release, on the bottom/right of the TGP, you should see a countdown in a black box, when it gets to 10, press NWS switch, this should activate the laser if you have it in manual. So far I have gotten the closest by doing this. Also aim a bit long.

I think that was what F15E crews did/do. They release the LGB and when at a determined distance they would paint the target. Don't know the numbers but it was like you are doing.

Regards.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

"The sequence is as follows,

The airplane releases the smart bomb. Its eyes are 'closed', and it falls like a free fall bomb. Meanwhile the WSO moves the cross hairs on his screen, over the target to be hit. Then maybe 10 seconds before the bomb hits the ground, the WSO 'opens the bombs eyes' (i think this means he switches on the laser)................When the guidance head locates the laser signature on the target, guidance fins are activated, and the bomb becomes 'smart', adjusting itself to land on the target. "

Section from 'Flying the F-15E in the gulf war. William L. Smallwood

This approach works good if you got a buddy lase, or WSO with his head down on the TV, while the pilot concentrates on HUD and pickles in CCIP. Time over target is probably reduced since the bomb 'flies' less.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Suggest use of auto-lase and latch functions available in the A-G / CTRL page.

Worked a treat, on Zsu-23. Auto-lase on by default. :thumbup:

Office333.jpg

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

But latch isn't

A little easier to set latch, since its on the TGP control page. A little more work to get to the auto lase on the DSMS control page.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

From limited experience, LGB's seem to be much more accurate if dropped from medium altitudes (8000ft and above). I've been able to score direct hits on armoured targets pretty reliably when doing this. At lower altitudes I often miss by several meters.

I've no idea if this reflects the real-world performance of these weapons, but I'm pretty sure that this is how LGB's are typically used in practice.

Accordingly to the internets, the Paveway III has been designed for the USAF precisely for being more efficient at low altitudes, since it uses a proportional guidance instead of bang-bang. I'd think the bang-bang guidance expends the munitions potential energy faster when dropped from low altitude (= higher drag), but if that's any close to reality I can't really say.

Love that CCIP

I am amazed at how complex it is to setup a simple dumb drop. I have a new respect for the pilots of these things :drink:

I really like the idea of using the smoke to identify the target instead of using labels! Great job ED

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I am amazed at how complex it is to setup a simple dumb drop. I have a new respect for the pilots of these things :drink:

I really like the idea of using the smoke to identify the target instead of using labels! Great job ED

Just wait until you learn how to use JTAC and SADL, combined with the TGP you will never use labels again :D:thumbup: just pick the targets from your TAD and slave the TGP to them :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.