matrix board for X-keys

CAT_101st

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So any advice on where to buy push-buttons and switches? I looked at RadioShack and they are crazy... like 3.99+tax for a regular switch. That would get expensive way too fast for me....

Also... anyone care to make a "guide for dummies" type tutorial on how to make x-keys, cats board, and switches/buttons to work??

I think you will find that most of the switches out their are $4-$7. I byt the smaller ones that are $2.99 - $3.99. If you get a count on how many you need and make a order at the desk you can get a discount and they ship to your door for free. Un like there online store that charges shipping. I have about $240 (80 switchs) in switches in my BS pit. And I am building a A-10 pit now that will have dobble that in switches. Making pannels and pit building is not a cheap hobby to have. Cost more than my shooting hobby. But keep in mind once you built it you get to enjoy it for years. goin on to 3 years now with my BS pit. and looking forward to 3 years in my A-10 pit ro till DCS comes out with the AH-64.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I've been thinking about switches and the associated costs, if we can get a few of us together we might be able to order from a source with a bulk order on basic switches and maybe a smaller order on some switches that are one off. Here in California we have a huge electronics store called Fry's that carries virtually everything you could need at reasonable prices (two way mom on-off-on mini toggles were $3.49ea) the downside is that the store is sometimes picked over and you're lucky to get enough to make a panel. That said if we ordered from a source we could probably get toggles at half that price but we'd have to order at least 100 of one type. In a nutshell it really comes down to how accurately you want to make a simpit, accuracy has a price and generic lets you tweak the details to fit your plan or budget!

I'm going to buy a Leo Bodnar board next to re-wire my rudder pedals, can't afford simpeds and the saitek combat pedals are over priced especially for lack of hall sensors. If I do this right I'll have an extra 32 inputs from that board for panels. These controllers are relatively cheap too which is good since I don't have disposable income anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Good work there!

I sure would like to sign up for one of those boards, if you decide to make another run that is?

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

Ok. you are the second person to ask I need a 10 unit order to make it worth my time. If you can help convince more people to buy one it might happen faster. ;)

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

• 1 month later...

Still ordering boards?

I'm interested if it'll help the count towards 10.

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD

Ok I see I have 2 that would be intrested. I will make a few post around the flight sim world forums and see if I can come up with enough to make a order. It may take sevral weaks to make it happen. If you don't mind waiting.

Don't mind at all

I can wait. I've looked at doing the wiring on breadboard or stripboard. 128 connections is mind boggling can't get my head around the layout even. It would seem like you could advertise these as some sort of universal breakout board and approach XKeys or Leo Bodnar or other emulator companies as a partner and supplier of breakout boards. Just a thought but I know it would be more complicated than that. Well, anyway I'll be waiting finger's crossed.

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD

I'm glad I got one from Cat on the first run! Its an overwhelming job to do all this your self. The board cuts the work out by probably 2/3rds. I'll be honest I haven't started assembling mine yet but it's much more straightforward than doing it yourself from scratch!

Edited by HitchHikingFlatlander

Well this is a good stert I have 4 people that want to buy one of my boards.

List so far

Dachs

gcompc

FLIM

gflinch

I will have to post areound a little more to get enough orders. If you guys help it may go quicker. I need 10 for the price brake and I will probly keep one for my self. So we need at least 5 more units to be ordered. I hop I get enough so I can do this for you guys.

Someone just pointed out this thread to me. First off, this is going to be my first project so what is a break out board? Is there a pic of this thing in actual use?

I may be interested in buying one if you could quote me a price of shipping to the UK.

- Ice

It depends on the IO card that you buy. Their are many companys that make them. A brakeout board is basickly a spliter betwean the IO card and the switches. I only sold 7 of theas boards in the first run. Not sure if they have had time to make ues of them yeat. I am short cash to buy a X-keys matrix board witch is what I made this brakeout board for. If you search this tread you will find pics of the unit but not in use.

Price is $38 for the brakeout board and $8 for a connector cable. If you want to DIY I am cargin $28, Comes with all the parts needed to build it. Shiping can range from $18 to $80.

You have pleanty of time to think about it just don't think too long. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

CAT,

I am using the XKeys Matrix 128 boards, two of them. I think your break out board works for these.

"Price is $38 for the brakeout board and $8 for a connector cable."

Assuming I got it right, I will take two boards with connector cables.

Let me know how and when to pay. Figure shipping to 46077 zip code.

Froggie

Kurt "Froglips" Giesselman

wishing someone would do a two seat sim like LB2...I ain't much of a pilot but I am a helava good shot.

System specs: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 4170, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2 x Palit 560Ti 2GB video cards SLI, TIR 4, 26" main display, 21.5" Helios display, 10" Shkval display, 9" ABRIS display, XKeys Pro panel, Copy Cat Controls cyclic/collective w/custom KA-50 head/rudder

Dachs

gcompc

FLIM

gflinch

Froglips x2 + 2 connector's for X-keys

CAT

Well that is 6 so far. I need 4 more orders to put the build order in.

Thanks for the order froglips I don't know how long it will be befor I can place a order for the parts. If you can find or send pit builders to this thread and mabe get me a nother sale or two it would help us all out.

CAT_101

Edited by CAT_101st

CAT,

You should post over on SCSimulations. FLIM is moderator there. Lots of pit builders. Also try Viperpit.org

Kurt "Froglips" Giesselman

wishing someone would do a two seat sim like LB2...I ain't much of a pilot but I am a helava good shot.

System specs: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 4170, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2 x Palit 560Ti 2GB video cards SLI, TIR 4, 26" main display, 21.5" Helios display, 10" Shkval display, 9" ABRIS display, XKeys Pro panel, Copy Cat Controls cyclic/collective w/custom KA-50 head/rudder

I have posted on sevral forums already. FLIM fly's with me in the DCS-mercenaries now. And I think I did post their as well. Their website just went thrue a major over haul. I havent tryed Viperpits yeat. I will look into posting there. Thanks

CAT_101

Hey cat... Please send me a connector cable when you get a chance, just let me know what total cost (shipping and all) is and I'll paypal ya.

I probably won't mess with it till this fall/winter, simming is my "wintertime hobby".

To anyone that is thinking about getting one: I recommend having cat make you a cable and also assemble the board with connectors. Then all you basically have to do is attach the switch wires to the connectors (supplied in kit) and then plug them into the matrix board.

No problem Walker. I don't have the parts right now to do it, but you do have the time to wait any ways.

I think I am going to go ahead and put a order in for 10 boards and I will have a few extra on hand if anyone wants one after the fact.