I did it!!!

darrenl

Nice one...it's great when you get contact!! Still haven't managed a full refuel yet...and as if it wasn't hard enough anyway, now you can break the boom :huh:

I always go last on refuels LOL!

"The sky is not the limit.....it's my playground!!" @paraglidecass

I was practising this over the weekend for hours and eventually got a full load of fuel over the course of some 10 or so contacts, only being able to stay connected for a maximum of 10 seconds.

My problem seems to be pitch instability as even with a good trim my A-10 needs pitch input to try and keep it in position under the tanker, eventually leading to too much pitch at some point and the inevitable disconnect.

Some tips would be appreciated.

^^That usually happens to most newcomer pilots due to their lack of perception ie. confidence of how much stick input they need in order to controll the plane ie. get it from point A to point B.

If the tanker goes up, you make the correction and gently pull the stick and when you notice you're getting closer to the tanker, DON'T panic and imediately think you're gonna crash into it and twitch, just let it slide and then again, gently, push the stick forward (in order to level the plane and stop it from further approaching the tanker) and then repeat the same process over and over again.

It's the same thing like close formation flying. Once you stop being overly worried about crashing into your wing leader, you'll actually start getting better and improve.

Remember, this is a sim so even if you crash, it's not a big deal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

Does the tanker have a wake that can upset the hog flight characteristics if your flying in trail a little high or level with the tanker?

~~~ Win7 64bit // i5 2500K @4.2Ghz // ASUS P8P67 Pro ~~~

~~~ H50 Cooler // 12GB 1600 DDR3 // EVGA GTX580 SC ~~~

~~~ TMW // Combat Pedals // TrackIR 4 ~~~

That would be neat though! I haven't even attempted this yet, I don't have the time to obligate to it, I wouldn't be able to stop until I at least made contact. Congratulations on yours though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

Well done! I haven't even tried it yet...

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

No, the vortices are not modeled, nor is the jetwash. Maybe at some later time.

For the love of God, please dont. The last thing I need is you boys putting MORE detail into the sim that will screw up my half baked attempts to refuel like a line caught tuna on speed.

• Like 1

I was running it in SP with no issues.

Just an FYI. The tanker called Texico takes a bit to get past the airport where you're taking off...so take your time spooling up. Check F10 to see where the tankers are before you take off so that you know at least one is close. First time I tried this mission I couldn't find Texico because...well..he was behind me ;)

1 timer here ;) lots of times. tip is trimming and deactivating track IR for the refuel.

tracks available ;)

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

imho, the most important thing here is that flight level.. Focusing on your FPM bubble and keeping it flat on the horizon line before you start your final approach to the tanker is key, as it is throughout the process really. Get yourself flat and trimmed so you are making little to no inputs to keep it level once you get it there.. (You cant run autopilot with the fuel door open so you have to get it trimmed as level as possible and hold it..) when you have it under control and have called for pre-contact, watch the boom come down, and what I do is orient my nose level with the bottom of the boom probe..then very slowly ease forward within range of the boom..focusing on that alt level, not the boom. The boom will come to you if you are within it's reach and if you stay on level and close very slowly. When the boom is filling your hud, you should be less than a half knot closure up to a stop...then just inch forward til it connects and hold it there.. this is the best way to attain sustainable connections i have found. You can approach faster and from angles and get connections,but they almost always disconnect right away in my experience so far.. I've held it until topped off several times now, and it's pretty wild. Keeping it within the red zones on the boom when connected is just as much a challenge as connecting was. Hope this helps..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

please... please... please... let the next DCS module be an F-18 fighter aircraft :worthy:

No, the vortices are not modeled, nor is the jetwash. Maybe at some later time.

Add some vortex generators to the leading edges? Clean them with some jet wash?

We used to mess with people so hard in the mil ac maint community with 'vortex generators' heheh. "Hey Ricky, get in the illustrated parts breakdown and find me the part number for the vortex generator". Of course Ricky wouldn't want to say ' what the hell is the vortex generator' as it sounds too important and he'd show his ignorance.

They actually do exist though, but they're just little polygon shaped pieces of rubber that go on leading edge de-ice boots.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm