CDU Offset Tutorial

WarriorX

.......Fish seems to call AWACS for a bullseye call........

Awacs is @7000ft, and comes on station over the target area, not realistic. I did request picture, but not sure if I would have got the call back if i did'nt call it. From what i remember, it felt like the call was made because the AWACS was threatened by those targets, cause when i put it up higher, i could not get the call. If that makes sense.

Edited by Fish

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Great stuff and very simple once you understand it.

I could do just about everything in 10 except find targets on missions since I hadn't figured out the CDU offset. Now I'm a hunter killer from the sky!

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a useful tool for making points which are defined relative to other places. If you know coordinate certainly you can create a point defined that way. But bullseye calls are a format that you cannot directly enter.

I think usually I would hook BE on the TAD and use the bull-cursor readout to find the spot with the cursor and mark point it. It depends exactly what it was for if I would create an offset or wing it with a mark.

If the terminal controller wants you to IP-to-target 10 miles from the east and egress S I might enter the target coordinate and make a new point 090010 and 180005 as my IP and egress points and link all three together in a flight plan. That way I can go from A to B to C without worry during the attack.

Not always, the ability to read and enter the coordinates makes the tool more useful. It's possible to be doing a task which has a combination of creating new points from direction-distance offset, entering coordinates directly, reading result coordinates. If you're creating offsets and decide to make a new point which is not an offset you don't have to change pages. Since it outputs coordinates for reading purposes they might as well be editable too.

Offset page also operates as a calculator. You might be making these calculations and reading out the results over the radio to someone else. It can also measure MH/DIS between two entered points. It can answer the question "what is the MH/DIS from waypoint 15 to N41,41.41/E041,41.41?"