My review of DCSW on Metacritic

StrongHarm

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Nice write up bud. :thumbup:

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

What, only 5 user reviews on metacritic?? There's no one else that loves this sim? I'm shocked! :)

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Vibora, I liked your review! As a RL Pilot that lends a lot of credibility! I also liked Paulrkiii's and the credibility he provided. DCS:A-10C may get the exposure and respect as a product that it deserves. Awesome!

Does metacritic pick up magazine reviews by itself or does it have to be pointed towards such? Because there are a lot more than 2 professional critics already, yet they have not picked up on any.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Metacritic is like a newsfeed basically. A lot of gaming websites use it to populate the ratings on their sites. They do not feed from other sites though.

I registered but still haven't received the email confirmation, so I'm not able to login in and write a review.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

I registered but still haven't received the email confirmation, so I'm not able to login in and write a review.

Check your spam folder. I've scratched my head for hours before remembering that anonymous, automated email often goes directly into spam.

Check your spam folder. I've scratched my head for hours before remembering that anonymous, automated email often goes directly into spam.

Thanks for your reply bud, but yes I checked my SPAM filter and there is nothing in it. Not sure what is up with that site. :)

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

This is what I had wrote....some may not agree but that's your opinion and this is mine :)

I have over 5,000 hours flying P3s, Tutor, T33, F5, C172s, and other aircraft and have been actively flying simulation software since Flight Simulator 1995. I have been actively involved with beta testing simulation software such as Flanker 2.0, and involved as a developer for Falcon 4 community mod projects.

I have followed the decline of simulation software since the late nineties, and like so many other hardcore simmers have desperately waited for someone to release a 21st century hardcore simulation; a new bench mark so to speak. I heard whisperings of such a sim being developed by Eagle Dynamics but I was not a fan other ED's other efforts in the combat simulation genre. A video become public of the A10C being started from a cold status , so I figure okay I'll buy it, but felt it would end up on my shelf like a few others that released over the past decade. Falcon 4 was my bench mark, and I still fly it today. DCS/ED decide to release the beta to buyers, which I thought was a great idea, so I purchased DCS A10. From the moment I entered the quiet cockpit and started clicking the battery power switch to initiate the start up I was sold. The terrain, 3d model, cockpit model, sounds, lighting, avionics, and weather are the best I've seen; on par with FSX and exceeds Falcon 4.0. The flight model and ground handling are fluid and feel very good although I find the ground bump on take off exaggerated. The damage model is simply the best available. It is the small details that make this sim awesome. Land too hard and you will blow a tire. Look at the tire and you will see it shredded. Take some hits from triple A and you will see where you were hit.

Where is DCS A10 weak? In my opinion DCS A10 is weak in two areas. The first area is communications. In game voice communication via radio is a must now for online flights; a feature that is sadly missing in DCS A10, however a great little community mod called TARS fills that void. Also, the AI communication is not very good. The AI sound segmented, robotic, and there is very little environmental radio chatter. Falcon and FSX are the benchmarks in this area and ED/DCS would be wise to follow suite.

The second area of weakness is effects. Where's the canopy glass scratches, cockpit shadows (I'm told this is coming in a patch), and the explosions although satisfactory could be much better.

Overall, if you're a hardcore simmer this is a must have. Even with the two weak areas I mentioned this simulator is the new bench mark for all others to follow.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Nice write up. What's this: "the ground bump on take off?" Us it the sort of stiction when trying to pull the nose up?

No bud, its the bumping around in the pit when you're rolling down the rwy. I turned the head movement off, but I find it is about twice what it should be.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png