Free flight mission. Landing extremely difficult.

bloomstomb

I have played multiplayer, and some other missions. I can land perfectly almost everytime.

For somereason, in the freeflight missions I always pop tires, break tails. As Im coming in on aproach, my a10 starts flying very unsteady .Speed starts going from 120-150-130-15-110.

My nose starts wildly pointing in different directions. Wind is showing 30-50.. Could this be the problem?

Any suggestions on how I can land it without dammaging my plane?

PS I am trying to land at koubeleti , in the free fly mode, air start.

Bad turbulence and wind are the likely causes of what your experiencing on approach. The free flight ramp start mission has awful weather for me. I only flew it once so it may have dynamic weather ( bad idea ).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

Check your loadout and fuel quantities... coming back from a mission you are significantly lighter then going straight in for a landing fully loaded in free flight. If that is a possibility then you need to increase your approach speed a little according to how heavy you are.

Wind is also gonna be a factor. I'm not sure if gusty conditions are modelled... i'm still pretty new to all this! :) Again if there are gusty conditions, increasing your approach speed until coming over the threshold will help reduce the possibility of your airspeed becoming dangerously low if a headwind drops off. If its gusty then you'll just have to work that throttle like the real pilots do! :pilotfly:

Sloth

"You get enough sleep when you're dead!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TM WH HOTAS, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5 Pro

Processor: i5 2.67Ghz

Board: Intel DP55WB

Video: Nvidia GTX650 Ti Boost

RAM: 8Gb DDR3 1333MHz

Im pretty sure those "gusty" conditions are modeled in because thats exactly what it felt like!

Also I dont believe this is dynamic weather. I get the same old sh*t weather everytime up in this freeflight mission.

I guess the question is how does one handle turbulence, which seems to really get out of hand just as im nearing the runway.

The dynamic weather varies from place to place on the map, as opposed to the 'classic' weather which is the same everywhere. The dynamic weather may also change as the mission progresses (though I'm not sure about that). Point is, the 'dynamic' weather will always be the same on every playthrough because it's seeded from static starting conditions. If it was 'random' weather then it'd be impossible to playtest the mission to ensure it's completable with that weather.

Just loaded the free flight air start mission in the editor and it does indeed use dynamic weather, so I think that's the problem. Something changed somewhat recently and previously quite playable missions with dynamic weather suddenly gained massive turbulence at low level. I think it has been acknowledged but I don't know when/if/how it'll be fixed.

Ahhhh ok so Im not nuts then:megalol:. It may be labeled dynamic, but its been consistently very tough to land in these conditions, when you get low.

I finally landed without any damage to the plane (or me) in these conditions.

What I did was put the speed breaks up all the way, full flap down, then used alot of throttle to keep stable.

Even so, the vector velocity was all over the place. Speed swings were terrible and constant throttle input was necessary, going from from full throttle, to no throttle, to full throttle .

The dynamic weather varies from place to place on the map, as opposed to the 'classic' weather which is the same everywhere. The dynamic weather may also change as the mission progresses (though I'm not sure about that). Point is, the 'dynamic' weather will always be the same on every playthrough because it's seeded from static starting conditions. If it was 'random' weather then it'd be impossible to playtest the mission to ensure it's completable with that weather.

Just loaded the free flight air start mission in the editor and it does indeed use dynamic weather, so I think that's the problem. Something changed somewhat recently and previously quite playable missions with dynamic weather suddenly gained massive turbulence at low level. I think it has been acknowledged but I don't know when/if/how it'll be fixed.

Yeah, I believe there is a flaw in the dynamic weather. What would work brilliantly is having the same system but having a limit so it never goes over the A-10's maximum capability, if you understand what I'm saying.

I've had some horrendous flights online that were caused by dynamic weather, turbulence and wind so severe that the moment your wheels leave the ground your nearly on the taxiway 100 meters to your 9. That is if you managed to get airborne without breaking off a wing or your gear. In real life no aircraft would be cleared to take off in those sort of conditions, no matter what.

I don't know if wind shear is modelled but what was causing you to be thrown around, dropping alt and gaining it fast was turbulence.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

bloomstomb: I have the exact same issue.

At the first try of the Free Flight from ramp I got the bird on the ground but it took some demage.

I put it to the ground safely on the second turn though. But it need all my focus to do so, and the HOTAS was quite sweaty when I turned in on the taxi way... ;)

In real turbulent conditions, you do indeed have to very carefully micromanage your landings. Worst case scenario is you have a really bad wind shear, in which case you opt for a go around, and try to anticipate it the next time around.

The only real fix for turbulent weather is to find a heavier aircraft. Lighter aircraft have less mass, and therefore get thrown around like a kite.

I was flying around for a couple days in a Beechcraft King Air 350. The week's weather wasn't the greatest; with a strong crosswind and gusty conditions which would shred my usual Piper Archer. But, weighing in at almost eight times as much as the Archer, the King Air had no trouble handling these winds.

Two months from then(being used to flying in those winds), I went back and flew the Archer again. It really came as a shock to me that my plane was now being thrown around like so much tissue paper at winds that weren't even 3/4 as strong as the ones the King Air was swiftly flying through.

When you are in turbulent conditions, adding more weight to the plane will help you tackle maneuvers easier.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

A few weeks ago when i was learning to land i had it at the worst snowy weather i could and managed to land pretty well freestyle with no ils. By the end i realised low and fast did the trick because obviously at 120-130 you get more movement. 150-160 and then brakes and off the throttle right before you touchdown works for me!

I made it quite well after some training, and deploy the speedbrakes to around 30 to 50 percent. i dunno if its done like this in the real aircraft, but it helps me alot to keep the aircraft on a stable approach vector.

It makes sense that it would be done with brakes because to maintain speed, you have to have the throttles open more, putting the engines in an RPM range where they are quicker to respond to your inputs.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly