BSOD: Power_driver_state_failure randomly occurs while playing...HELP

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Comrade,

Sorry I vanished on you but Jeff was doning fine and until you got a working hub I had nothing to contribute. Also I have been dealing with my own hardware stuff (standard new build Win7 headaches but still a PITA) so I have been tied up as well.

Skimming the thread it seem like you are down to a problem that "acts" like it is due to a combo of DCS and the X52.

The only thing I can say to that is 'it makes no sense'. I have used my X52, with and without a hub, on my laptop with DCS and except for the low power issue I told you about it worked just fine. I just only use the laptop for the occasional study issue so that is not often.

I am in the process of setting DCS and my X52 and stuff on the new machine. Perhaps I will stumble into something in the process.

Not ignoring you, just busy.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, at this point I'm going to return the x52 and put the money toward the WARTHOG! :) :) :) :) The TIR functions fine in the USB port, so I don't see it being some kind of general USB malfunction- I think it must be a defective stick. Sound like a good plan, sound reasoning?

alright guys, I'm now the soon to be proud owner of a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog :) God, even writing it feels good! hopefully the difference between brands will solve the issue- I remember the thrusmaster worked but didn't have the number of buttons necessary for even a sense of immersion. If I get a BSOD with the Warthog, I think that'll be it- probably something internal to my system that might not be compatibile with Warthog (although it did fly for over an hour on autopilot with no stick in, so WFT)?

hey Man,

it just occurred to me you might have been serious...at the time I didn't think I could ever get a Warthog-I'm actually new to the sim community (not really, mid 90s stuff when I was a kid with my old beautiful Sidewinder 2). I really want to get back into it recently; I played Apache air assualt for the 360 (I'm also a console gamer; just got a new pc, last one was 7 years old) and I loved it, but could tell it wasn't a REAL simmer. I bought a basic thrustmaster HOTAS X (cheap, but with minimal buttons) after I had bought this. Then cichlidfan introduced me to the wonders of TIR and my bill has been on a steady climb ever since...LOL Now, though, a HOTAS Warthog man- if It weren't gay, I'd kiss my Dad, I still might :)

OK... new warthog is good. I thought you had one before, sorry.

Panzertard has a good point... it could be a driver issue, But Im thinking the BSOD would show that. My reasoning here is the stick is shorting out and causing the OS to crash.

I want you to try any game with the stick plugged in and just sitting there... not using it. it doesnt matter what game it is. be sure the stick's software is turned off! that will help us determine if the driver is causing the problem.

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

Thrustmaster has always been a good brand ever since i can remeber (I'm 24 BTW) and it wasn't the the HOTAS X was terrible, it was just that programming was a COMPLETE pain in the ass and it just did not have enough buttons- I ended up with about 5-6 modifers alone that I just couldn't remeber. Hell, at the time I was intimidated by the cockpit startup training.

no through the USB is fine.... hmmm. I would think the pc would blu screen with that test.

would you mind trying the test again with arma but this time run the saitek software and try using the stick in a helo or plane if possible. that should tell us if the driver or software is f00ked.

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

Hey Jeff, I'll have to try that tomorrow as I'm on my OLD (2004) Dell XPS 2! If it doesn't bluscreen, what would you surmise? Do you think buying the warthog was a good investment? Do you think it will solve the problem or do you think there is some other deeper underlying cause?

Well, at this point I'm going to return the x52 and put the money toward the WARTHOG! :) :) :) :) The TIR functions fine in the USB port, so I don't see it being some kind of general USB malfunction- I think it must be a defective stick. Sound like a good plan, sound reasoning?

I have to agree that the stick is suspect at this point though I would be happier if we had a better way to test it but we don't so...

Assuming that it really is the stick then yes, return it and put the money toward another stick. Myself, though I really would like to have one (and can afford it), I just can't get myself to pay that much for a Warthog. Now if I could touch it first...maybe.

I am not thrilled with my X52Pro but until I can lay hands on some good stick to compare I am going to stick with it for now. Besides I just drilled four holes in my desk.:joystick:

So go for it, at this point it is better than no plan. Besides if the problem turns out to be something else, you will still have a Warthog!!:thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

if there is no BSOD running arma with the stick and software, then I would have to say its something with A-10 and your stick.... some software issue, most likely your driver is bad and needs reinstalled.

NOTE - it would be best to try this on your laptop. not some other PC.

heck at this point, if your family is buying you a warthog, Id say "f00k that x62 dad, its broke"! LOL

Your;e gonna like that warthog bro.

Edited by jeffyd123
  • Like 1

if there is no BSOD running arma with the stick and software, then I would have to say its something with A-10 and your stick.... some software issue, most likely your driver is bad and needs reinstalled.

Question, silly at this point perhaps, you do have the latest drivers?

When I got the X52Pro the drivers/software that came with it did not work correctly (not as bad a as yours but...) and when I tried to get new ones the site was hosed.

I finally got links from MadCatz via email that worked. Unless this issue has been dealt with I wondered what the version and dates for your drivers and programming software were.

Ignore if you and Jeff have taken care of this.

hmmm...im not sure- i did use the link provided to dl the newest profiling software (allowing my native .dat program to accept .pr0 files bit not sure if the STICK drivers were updated. when yoiu say "driver is bad needs to be reinstalled, exactly what do you mean- what would I reinstall and how would i go about it?

Also, if I'm getting a TM WARTHOG, and I get a bluescreen with that...what would you guys say. one other question regarding the WARTHOG- would I run the WARTHOG through the extenral USB?

I'll get to that test Jeff, its just such a beautiful fcking day out!

cichlidfan- do you still have those links and if so could you provide them- this is another avenue of investigation worth pursuing.

The Pro model uses a different driver but if you did not dl the latest driver when you got the software definately do so. It would appear that they have fixed the site since I sent them some nasty emails a few months back.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

The profiling software on their site is newer than what I am using but the profiling software is not likely to be the issue anyway.

As for the Warthog, don't try to imagine problems that you don't have yet. It simplifies life. I would plan on using it with the hub though. That thing has to draw at least as much power as an X52Pro!

Hey cichildfan and Jeff, this is straight from MS forum support. Maybe you guys can help, let me know what you think please.

The driver that appears to be causing the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) stop error is the nvlddmkm.sys:

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

As the nvlddmkm.sys is the NVIDIA disp

lay driver the problem appears to be related to the display adapter.

Which version of display adapter driver are you using and from where did you obtain the driver?

Also, does the error occur only when the joystick is connected?

Also, one of the minidump files showed a MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH1 (deaddead) stop error.

I would not think that you manually initiated a crash but did you have beta drivers installed recently for any device?

Is the BIOS version the most recent version?

Here is what I just replied back with:

Hi,

Thanks for helping me out, i appreciate it.

The nvidia display adapter driver is for the geforce 540m is 8.17.12.7061. I obtained the driver I believe by downloading it from nvidia's driver utility (in the control panel)

I did initiate a crash due to the fact that I did not know how to create minidumps initially and wanted to test and see if I had enabled the foler properly Not the best thing to do I realize now.

Yes, the problem occurs only with the joystick connected and in conjunction with a specific game (DCS A-10C). However, the joystick issue is moot as I am returning it to amazon for a better model. (I still have it if you need me to perform tests.

I'm not sure if the Bios is the most recent version or how to tell if it is the most recent version. I do have an HDMI Port and use it to display high definition on my tv, but this issue has always been independent of being hooked up to the high defiition tv.