Binoculars

Teriander

A video simply because I have never worked with autohotkey before and scripts are crushing my brain...

I could not even figure out how to see what keys my joystick has. :-/ I will try that later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

@Divide Et Impera

everything you need to increase the view and LOD can be found here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71639

@Megagoth1702

What can I show what isn't already covered by hundreds of tutorials available on youtube and easily accessible if you know the basics to use a web-search-engine?

:)

The script is almost ready to use - you don't have to understand it - just use it!

- you only have to find out which ID your button has you want to assign for this script.

Use JoyIDS Utility to find out the joy id and the joystick-controll-penal from windows for your button number. (this takes about 2min inclusive installation of JoyIDS Utility)

Than install autohotkey and download my script - right click on it and choose "edit-script".

than edit all "4Joy17" entries - for instance : You want to use Button #5 at joystick #1 - so you have to set in "1Joy5".

-than save it and run this script. (simply put it anywhere you want and double-click the script)

And you ready to go in about 5min total.

If this is too much for you - you have to tell me only your Button and Joy ID you want to use for this and I would compile this script to a .exe an load it up for you- so you wouldn't even need to install aoutohotkey at all .

@all

Is there something like a cross-hair/scale to see in the optics of the binos you usually use in the a-10 or is the sight just clear? -no one mentioned something like that in the previous postings -just want to be clear about this. (see attached video)

And I'm right that x12 are the usually magnification you use?

Edited by PeterP

• 10 months later...
Navigate to your DCS:A-10C/Config/View folder and open the view.LUA file with Notepad++.

Go down to line 126 to the following entry-

CameraViewAngleLimits[A_10A]   = {20.0, 140.0}

and edit the first value (20) to a lower value (lower the value the further the zoom). Save and exit and you're good to go.

I am not certain which value corresponds to the bino view the Hog-Drivers got with Bino's. Somehow 6 rings a vague bell, but I'm not sure - you'll need to experiment.

According to Kosovo, 15 power binos.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

It's a spin-off of this mod:

NVG ANVS-9 more REAL...

All info about the "how to" can be also found in this thread.

The video shows a overlay that is created via a third party program in windowed-mode. and It is trigged via a AHK script that also zooms fully in and activates the precision-mode of the Track-Ir to simulate giro-stabilisation for the binoculars.

Edited by PeterP

I think zoom must DON'T exist for two reason :

First : i don't know why but people always unzoom and create this ugly microscopic cockpit effect where completely twisted when we turn the "head", like (for example) at the end of this video where the guy unzoom at an unrealistic way

or this http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/jan09/BSrps05.jpg and it was ugly, everything look small and its stupidly impossible, except if we turn Binoculars in the wrong side.

Two : ok pilot have binoculars but will NEVER use it while strafe on a target, you need one hand on throttle and the other on the stick, so zoom when we strafe or in dogfight give a stupidly unrealistic advantage.

Why people use zoom ? (i have never use it except for sometime see the too small letter in the cockpit)

Simply case like i have say since a lot of time (and people was totally accustom to simulation size and don't notice it now) the size are TOTALLY and 100% unrealistically fail !

Everything are small for compensate a big map, i have NEVER be able to judge correctly of distance in the sim, i can't see if object is 10 Km or 50Km cause size are totally wrong, that why i always talk about FPS game, they are made for embody an HUMAN with EYES and not a camera, when i look car or boat in the game it look like RC model and NOT like a real huge things, the scale DON'T represent real world.

It look like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/3146625047_b79b53b4f5.jpg or like this http://www.yerres.fr/image/CADRE_DE_VIE/urbanisme/maquette-ville.jpg but certainly not like this http://www.etaag.fr/_uploads/images/pages/232.jpg like this http://cliophoto.clionautes.org/galleries/GEOGRAPHIE/FRANCE/Centre-Est/Rhone-Alpes/TN-Grenoble.jpg or like this http://www.r2k-architecte.com/datas/projets/images/548.jpg

And if you can't see the difference its exactly what i have said : you are accustom to this, EVERYONE who never see aircraft simulation will say the same thing : it look like SimCity, now only cause of graphic rending but cause of small scale.

If we are forced to use zoom its cause the scale effect are TOTALLY FALSE and that everything look TOO small compare to real life, including cockpit.

Before implement binocular, two things must be do :

Disabled the zoom AND make a graphic engine or rework the actual for give a credible visual scale, and simulate human eyes rather than camera, and after this, binocular must be something that we have to TAKE (don't teleport instantaneously in our eyes, we have a develop of few seconds before be able to use it) and unlike eyes, the view vibrates, cause unlike hands, eyes have a scanning rate over what human body can resist in term of vibration, so difference between eyes and camera/binocular :

Eyes see object vibrate and the body can move or vibrate and we see it but the view itself still stable and don't vibrate, the eyes mechanically compensate it and the brain do the rest by stabilizing the perception.

Camera or binocular are not stable (even with stabilizer).

So : necessity to zoom come from a big error of realism in the sim, zoom must don't exist and binocular must be implemented in a realistic way and it must be implemented only after the scale error was corrected.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Demongornot, are you saying that your computer screen has equal resolution to that of your eyes? ;)

Zoom is a fair tool to adjust for deficiencies of the equipment we use to play our simulators. Same way it's not a "cheat" to use TO-assist in the P-51D; in reality you have a very good instrument onboard that you don't have when playing simulator (your butt) which helps a lot with aircraft handling. So those that want it have an option to use a tool that compensates for the deficiencies of a desktop simulator. Same thing with zooming.

Whether zoom options go too far is a different question though, but do recall that not everyone plays on huge high-DPI screens. What is "just right" for one person can be "not enough" for someone that plays on a laptop, and "too much" for someone that uses a cinema screen.

That said, you're not forced to use zoom. I never do in my A-10C, I don't feel any need to do so with my standard 24" 1920x1080.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I think zoom must DON'T exist for two reason :

First : i don't know why but people always unzoom and create this ugly microscopic cockpit effect where completely twisted when we turn the "head", like (for example) at the end of this video where the guy unzoom at an unrealistic way

or this http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/jan09/BSrps05.jpg and it was ugly, everything look small and its stupidly impossible, except if we turn Binoculars in the wrong side.

Two : ok pilot have binoculars but will NEVER use it while strafe on a target, you need one hand on throttle and the other on the stick, so zoom when we strafe or in dogfight give a stupidly unrealistic advantage.

Why people use zoom ? (i have never use it except for sometime see the too small letter in the cockpit)

Simply case like i have say since a lot of time (and people was totally accustom to simulation size and don't notice it now) the size are TOTALLY and 100% unrealistically fail !

Everything are small for compensate a big map, i have NEVER be able to judge correctly of distance in the sim, i can't see if object is 10 Km or 50Km cause size are totally wrong, that why i always talk about FPS game, they are made for embody an HUMAN with EYES and not a camera, when i look car or boat in the game it look like RC model and NOT like a real huge things, the scale DON'T represent real world.

It look like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/3146625047_b79b53b4f5.jpg or like this http://www.yerres.fr/image/CADRE_DE_VIE/urbanisme/maquette-ville.jpg but certainly not like this http://www.etaag.fr/_uploads/images/pages/232.jpg like this http://cliophoto.clionautes.org/galleries/GEOGRAPHIE/FRANCE/Centre-Est/Rhone-Alpes/TN-Grenoble.jpg or like this http://www.r2k-architecte.com/datas/projets/images/548.jpg

And if you can't see the difference its exactly what i have said : you are accustom to this, EVERYONE who never see aircraft simulation will say the same thing : it look like SimCity, now only cause of graphic rending but cause of small scale.

If we are forced to use zoom its cause the scale effect are TOTALLY FALSE and that everything look TOO small compare to real life, including cockpit.

Before implement binocular, two things must be do :

Disabled the zoom AND make a graphic engine or rework the actual for give a credible visual scale, and simulate human eyes rather than camera, and after this, binocular must be something that we have to TAKE (don't teleport instantaneously in our eyes, we have a develop of few seconds before be able to use it) and unlike eyes, the view vibrates, cause unlike hands, eyes have a scanning rate over what human body can resist in term of vibration, so difference between eyes and camera/binocular :

Eyes see object vibrate and the body can move or vibrate and we see it but the view itself still stable and don't vibrate, the eyes mechanically compensate it and the brain do the rest by stabilizing the perception.

Camera or binocular are not stable (even with stabilizer).

So : necessity to zoom come from a big error of realism in the sim, zoom must don't exist and binocular must be implemented in a realistic way and it must be implemented only after the scale error was corrected.

Forgot the part where not everybody has a NASA computer and can't max everything out ...:)

@ EtherealNFor the distance as we look the screen yes, human eyes don't have more than 15000x15000 "pixel" and in fact it was no more than 11000*11000 for black and white, 3162*3162 for the color, so yes in the area where we looking a screen, the screen have more definition than human eyes, that why you see and image and not a group of dot, screen are create for give today better definition than what eyes can see.

The only difference between a screen and the eyes was the field of view, but we don't need giant field of view for game/simulator.

And you just use another example of the same problem, if the sim had a good scale, we would not need to use zoom for see instruments, maybe an option like : distance of the screen -> screen size to answer to calculate automatically a correct scale or make like FPS game design for human eyes, i have a 29" screen 1920*1080 and i was forced to use zoom to see what is write in the cockpit, and i was close to my screen, i don't need to do it in any other game, only simulation.

@EtherealN & ogata321

And i talk about FPS engine SCALE and not rending details, and if we can't max it out with any computer (including mine who are really powerful) the problem don't come from customer's computer but from the graphic engine, but i will not talk again about it.

So yes if we try to reproduce human FOV it will give bad result, we need an FOV directly CONTENT like if the screen was a single glass that we look through, that why i talk about a correction depending of the distance and the screen size.

And basically more logical FOV will give less power needed, maybe a little more hard for people who don't have Track IR or Free Track, but for people who have it, that will not change something except more realism, more immersion and finally less calculate needed cause of smaller view FOV, correct optimization can finally take advantage of this and give bigger texture resolution for compensate the difference...

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

• 1 year later...
Navigate to your DCS:A-10C/Config/View folder and open the view.LUA file with Notepad++.

Go down to line 126 to the following entry-

CameraViewAngleLimits[A_10A]   = {20.0, 140.0}

and edit the first value (20) to a lower value (lower the value the further the zoom). Save and exit and you're good to go.

I am not certain which value corresponds to the bino view the Hog-Drivers got with Bino's. Somehow 6 rings a vague bell, but I'm not sure - you'll need to experiment.

Is it possible to edit the maximum zoom level with the new file architecture? The file still exists but there is now line containing cameraviewanglelimits anymore. The Server.lua contains that line, but lowering that value does not seem to have any effect. (although raising it seems to decrease the zoom level)

• 9 months later...

Now the file has to be edited for each aircraft. For the example to edit it for the Hawk, you need to change line 5 of "DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Hawk\Views.lua". I couldn't find the file for the A-10C and the KA-50 however. Changing it doesn't do anything for the maximum zoom level however.

Sorry for the Necro, but it is on the wishlist anyway ;)

Edited by audax