New here. Just saying hi

sk82712

Hey guys. (Mods: I'm sure this is posted in the wrong section..But I couldn't find a suitable one) I'm kind of at a loss as to where to go with DCS A10. I've half heartedly ran through a few of the tutorials...Which kind of helped. I spend most of my time still playing LOMAC: FC2, but I want to make the switch to DCS A10. What do you all suggest to get used to it? I'm running an X52 Pro, track IR 5, and Saitek pro pedals. I suppose I need to just print out a profile for the x52 and learn it? Then learn the systems as i need them (just as i did with lomac), then eventually the whole bird.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

-Adam

Edit: I'm off to the field tomorrow...I'll see you all in 7 days.

Edited by sk82712
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Army EOD

i7 940 3.5ghz (OC-ed), ATI 5970, 12 gigs Corsair Dominator (8-8-8-24), 60 gig SSD, 2x 1tb Caviar Blacks in RAID 0, Saitek x52 pro, Track IR 5 pro, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Welcome Adam. The flying part will be fairly easy as you are coming from FC2 but keep in mind the flight model is much improved.

Setting up your HOTAS correctly is certainly a key step combined with a careful read of critical HOTAS functions. Understanding SOI and SPI is also crucial to using these systems and sensors.

Try this link for some X-52 setups http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=135

Also do a search for WarriorX and Paulrkiii as they have a ton of "How to" threads which will answer any questions you still have after going through the manual.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I started this simulator without any experience.

What helped me:

1. This Forum

2. Good HOTAS joystick and configuration

3. Training Modules in the game

4. Practice Practice Practice

5. Youtube

6. Flight Manual

7. 2nd monitor for MFCD

8. Dont give up.. :P

and welcome..

• Like 1

HI Adam! Welcome to A-10!

A lot of good tips have already been given above so ill just stick with the welcome. :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

hey SK...

check this forum section for your X52 profile... theres a lot to read and try.

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=135

here is a learning tool for the HOTAS commands that I made...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=69610&highlight=graphical

since you have been simming for a while you are gonna find you'll be learning the pit functions and the HOTAS mostly at first.

Personally I didnt use the training missions in the sim (broken when I bought it)... I used the very good training vids by headspace and wags (as well as others) to learn mavericks and CDU usage.

enjoy... and if your wife asks what the hell youre doing on the PC all the time just look up at her then snarl and hiss.

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

Hi adam i hope you have loooots of time on your hands!

You wont find a closer forum to help each other than this on the web.

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12

Welcome on board!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

Welcome Adam, pleased to have you here. :)

As far as learning, my tips would be these:

1 - Make sure to learn one thing at a time. Don't rush. Don't go "okey, so now I took off, now I want to kill stuff". The key to remembering things in a complex beast like this (remember, the real aircrew spend years to get qualified) is to do one thing until you are GOOD at it. Not just able to do it - do it until you are GOOD at it. This will help to ensure that you don't forget it. (I ran into this a lot back with DCS:BS - I constantly forgot how to work the datalink.)

2 - Set up your controller to mimick the real one. This means - use the HOTAS section to map up, or link your x52 profile to the keyboard keys found as default in that section. This will allow you to us the HOTAS reference sheets in the manual even though you don't have a Hog-stick. (Pages 86 to 93 in the Flight Manual PDF.) This really is essential, and if you have a printer, make a selective print of those pages and keep it on the desk as a reference while training. If you have an I-pad or second screen or laptop, you can just keep those pages up there as well. This is extremely helpful any time you get lost with the HOTAS controls (which will happen). Also, there's often times you wonder "can X be done?" and a quick look at the sheet ends up not only confirming that it can be done - but also shows how. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Welcome to the community, Adam.

As I find referring to manual during a flight slightly inconvenient, I have created a sheet of HOTAS switches with their functions, most of them on the single page in a friendly format. I have omitted those switches that are obvious (slew, trim) or those I feel comfortable to remember, but you can add them yourself if you miss them. Hope you find them useful.

HOTAS_reference_sheet.zip

Thanks for the replies guys. Some damn good info on this thread.

OT: I go to the E-6 board soon!

EDIT:

How exactly would I get the two MFDs to show on a 2nd / 3rd dedicated monitor?

Edited by sk82712

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Army EOD

i7 940 3.5ghz (OC-ed), ATI 5970, 12 gigs Corsair Dominator (8-8-8-24), 60 gig SSD, 2x 1tb Caviar Blacks in RAID 0, Saitek x52 pro, Track IR 5 pro, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.