The resurgence of the flight sim

Slayer

Good times...I thought they were gone forever.

I have fond memories of the 90's and all the great (and terrible) flight sims from that time period. We had to endure a long drought with very little but Falcon mods, LO mods, FSX until Arma and DCS:BS came out.

Now I have that same old feeling that I did back then...so many great sims and not enough hours in the day to play them all.

I for one am glad to see the resurgence of the flight sim market and am glad that there were a few companies that carried on and stuck to their vision and listened to us that there was still interest in this genre.

Thanks to ED, BIS, 1C, 777 and the countless modders and artists for keeping siming alive. Hopefully a new generation can enjoy flight siming as much as I do.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

It is sweet. And even better than the Nineties, you have small, fan-based operations coming out with incredible stuff (hopefully) like the upcoming F/A-18 and Apache sims. And of course BMS, which is quite an achievement, and in my mind all Falcon should and could have been.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is sweet. And even better than the Nineties, you have small, fan-based operations coming out with incredible stuff (hopefully) like the upcoming F/A-18 and Apache sims. And of course BMS, which is quite an achievement, and in my mind all Falcon should and could have been.

I really want to try BMS but the day it came out I couldn't find my F4 disk. Found the 3 ring binder with the flight manual but alas the sleeve where the disc is supposed to be is empty. F4 had probably the best game manual ever I spent countless hours pouring over this thing.

I have so many old software boxes packed away in my moms basement from the 90's its unbelievable LOL. Looks like it time to go hunting for it. I'm usually very anal about my flight sim boxes. Hopefully I haven't lost it in the process of moving 3 times

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

There are not enough hours in the day. Flaming Cliffs got me back into sims but I was still mainly a RTS/XXXX guy, then Black shark comes out. That got me into A-10, and then I bought Cliffs of Dover. Hmmmm. it’s not ready yet, so I got Rise of Flight. Can’t shoot for crap but very very nice. Then BMS came out and Falcon came back from the dead.

Now BS2 and Take on Helicopters. MS Flight in the works, DLC upcoming for ToH. A Fixed CloD (hopefully). Dynamic campaigns in ROF, (assuming I ever learn to shoot in those old crates), and then DCS-NEXT.

Phew. 2012 is going to be a good year for flight simmers IMO.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Echoing my same thought coolts. I have so many sims to play now it's hard to choose. I'll buy every one of them anyways except the throwaway ones like Janes and HAWX.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Let me tell you how awesome sims are right now. I didn't buy Forza 4 and rearranged my cockpit from racing to flying (pedals wider apart and secondary monitor instead of wheel). I have a feeling it'l stay in this config for quite a while...

X plane 10 this christmas is the next big thing...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes seems we have entered a new cycle for flight simming...

The only drawback is: They are much more comlete in the sim department than in the golden age so now it takes a lot more time to be proeficient with them...

There s really not enought hours in a day. Nor enought memory in a head...lol

You start getting on one and start loosing skill on the other!!!

RoF

CloD

K-50

A-10c

TOH

And add some space sim and BMS and its total madness.

• Like 1

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

I have the original disk, the hardbound manual and AF falcon.. as i have EF2000 V2.0 manual, flanker 2.0 manual, fleet defender manual, , mig alley ace, red baron, and some others..

Just by those name you see the time gap between an era and another.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.