Great, my 1156 board is obsolete

I was going to upgrade my CPU to an i7 so I could enjoy DCS on HIGH for a change, but when I went to my fav online store, they told me no one carries them anymore. So now I have to buy a new mobo + a cpu. I wish for an ef-u Intel smilies right about now.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I am in the same boat. I have an 1156 i5 and do not have the money at the moment to upgrade.....

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the only compatible one on newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115061&Tpk=Intel%20i7 but for the performance you are looking for and the price of this one you would be better off with a new motherboard as well imho. The i5 2500k can close to match an i7 once overclocked from what I hear so heres neweggs cpu/motherboard specials. http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDeals.aspx?ComboStoreID=1&name=CPUs-Motherboards for not much more than the compatible i7.

Edited by pacotito

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

I'm in Thailand so can't order from Newegg.

Kuky, why ram? Socket 1155 uses DDR3 too don't they?

Dolimo, I know how that feels, brother.

Edited by leafer

ah sorry, you're right, both 1156 and 1155 are dual channel DDR3, I was thinking of quad channel 2011 so thought you needed new paired RAM sticks :doh:

No longer active in DCS...

I'm in Thailand so can't order from Newegg.

Dolimo, I know how that feels, brother.

DDR3 dual channel (not triple channel thats for X58 MOBOs)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Heh, yeah, Intel loves to switch out their sockets waaaay often, unfortunately. It's not even guaranteed that all 1155's will support Ivy. (Though exact specs for that are yet to be released in a properly official capacity.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I just assembled this computer mid 2010, so it hasn't hit a one year mark yet. :dunno: My i3 seemed like a giant leap from my old Sempron, and runs BS extremely well on high, but it can't hang with DCS A-10 if a fire fight broke out. Due to my budget, I'm seriously considering 955BE which costs a heck of a lot less while yield much better performance than my i3. I'd love to go the 1155 socket path, but that'll cut deep into my budget for an Intous 4. Oh well, such is the life of a hobo simmer. :D

Yeah, that one pin difference was a bit of a slap in the face, even though there more than probably are sound technical reasons for it, it's still taunting. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Well, I ordered more ram anyway. Got money and had to buy something. :D

The Phenom II x4 955BE is half the price of the i5 2500K and I can use the difference to get a mobo.

hmmm, check that CPU is actually any faster than the one you already got first!

My PC specs below:

Yes the 955 is faster but not by much. 3.2 vs 2.93 and its a quad core instead of dual core. Have you tried overclocking? After a quick google it looks fairly easy to get the i3 to 3.6ghz or higher. That will hold you over till you can save for the i7. If you really want the i7 or i5 and have the ability to save up for it do it...you don't want to be six months down the road again wishing for an i7 or i5. Intels have the better performance but imho amd has a better performance/price ratio. If you end up getting the 955 or other amd processor. I would recommend getting an am3+ socket motherboard that should be the amd socket standard for at least a couple years.

Edited by pacotito

Pacotito

I got a feeling that being quad core means squat for DCS and FC3 titles. The I3 has a much more efficient perfomance to clock ratio.

My PC specs below:

pacotito: first of all, never ever look at the clock frequency when comparing processors of different architectures. It's worthless and can serve only as the most vague indicator of performance. Being faster means very little, what matters is how much computation you do, not how fast your metronome is ticking.

valve-particle.gif

Notice how the 2-core i3-540 pwerforms better in this multithreaded test than the quad-core Phenom...

That is a processor with 4 cores, each working at 3,4GHz, was beaten by a processor with 2 cores working at 3.06GHz... Thus, don't make the mistake of using clock frequencies to compare processors for performance, nor core counts, unless they are of the same architecture.

Now, that all is very task-specific - the 965 will do better in some things, but also worse in others. For most games the 965 does perform better - but by a very small margin. (Some 10%.) After looking through those old reviews (I stole the above pic from this one: http://techreport.com/articles.x/18216/1 ) I don't feel that going for one of those old Phenoms is enough of a performance boost to be worth the bother. You don't rip a computer apart to get 10% better FPS in a few select applications, better Zipping performance, and worse performance in a few. (For example, I'm not sure one should expect any difference at all in DCS products, possibly even a performance deficit with the Phenom.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I can agree with you there my findings were based on the game numbers here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=118. Like you said 10% improvement in the games tested. If hes getting 20fps spending money to get to 22fps isn't worth it. Not once did I say anything about an improvement of fps in dcs. I was simply trying to lend some advice.

Pacotito

Thanks for saving me. I went and read some reviews and you guys are right abot the955be. Ive decided to wait until Nevada is out to see how thirsty that new engine is. That give me plenty of time to save too.

thanks, guys.

Your welcome. Just ask away when the time comes.

My PC specs below:

Will definitely do, Pilotasso. I hate reading those review sites and when I do I only read the conclusion. Btw, I did check out Ebay, but it wont work because I dont have credit card.

I'm going to try overclocking after I get a better HS and fan. Any overclocking site for dummies you'd recommend?

Edited by leafer