Easiest SAM to see and evade?

Modulus

Hi there.

For learning try out the SA-1, SA-9 and SA-11.

With the exception of the SA-9 both SAMs have a corresponding jammer program and both require chaff dispensing to evade. The SA-1 requires the SAM1 jammer program and the SA-11 requires the SAM2 jammer program. Running the corresponding jammer program and chaffing will help.

The SA-9 is an Infrared Guided SAM. This means there is no Jammer program for it. However if you set up a flare program, you should be okay.

With the jammer programs, you have pull some manoeuvres well to make it effective.

Do some breaks, wing overs and general erratic manoeuvres to break the lock.

I hope this helps

• Like 1

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

wow that gave me such a good idea, cant believe I never thought of it before!

I made a small mission to help me practice sam evasion. I set myself as immortal though to see how many passes across 3 SA-9's (12 sam's total) I could make haha! It is a blast, although I need a lot of practice. Another reason to keep flying :joystick: I notice I need to pay more attention to how much chaff/flares Im spewing out my back end!

I'll attach it in case you're interested. I have little experience with the editor, so I'm not sure which enemy unit would be best to practice against. Also it would be nice to give them an infinite amount of sams to shoot at me! Also a track to see how it goes :)

SAM.miz

SAM.trk

System:

i7 920 @3.8ghz; GTX 560ti 448; 6gb DDR3 1600 ram; 750gb HDD; 750w PSU; Win7 64bit; x52 Pro; TrackIR 5

Here's the thing.

The SAM is much faster than you. You cannot outrub it - so don't try.

The SAM can pull a lot more G's than you, so you can't out-turn it with a sustained turn.

However the combination of these works to your advantage. It turn out (pun intended) that the high Gs of the missile can't compensate for it's excessive speed. This means that the turn radius of the missile is very large. What you can do on missile launch is turn perpendicular to the missile wait until the missile is a couple of seconds from impact and then pull up or down (better if you are inverted, since gravity is helping) as hard as you can. The missile will attempt to turn with you but since its speed is so high the resulting turn radius is much much larger than yours, so it can't get close enough for its proxmity fuse to activate (although only impact fuses are modelled in the game, AFAIK). Unfortunately such maneuvers deplete your energy severly so even with good timing (from practice) you usually can't defeat more than a couple of missiles. This means it is a good idea to do your pull in a spiral direction away from the SAM.

Whatever you do, try not to lose sight of the missile, and once the missile is defeated try and re-acquire the launcher as you exit. Also don't get fixated on the launcher. Often evading one launcher can put you in the arms of another.

The other things you can do is to hide behind prominent terrain such as a ridge or hill. You may be some height above terrain but from the launcher's point-of-view you are underground!

Another thing to keep in mind is that the missile must fly an intercept course. It doesn't fly to where you are now (which would be 'pure pursuit') but to an intercept point ahead of you. That means for long-range missile launches (such as the lethal SA-10, but at least you get a RWR warning) if you dive toward the ground the missile will dive too and if you dive enough the intercept point me be below ground . The missile can be made to fly into the ground in this way (you have to be careful not to hit the ground either).

For long-range launches where you are near the edge of the missile's engagement zone you can simply turn around and climb. The missile will climb too and lose a lot of its energy. Eventually the missile slows down so much it can't intercept you. For this you need to have understand what missile was fired and your approximate location within its engagement zone (only works when you are near max range). Note that the SA-15 is especially tricky. It waits until you are well within it's engagement zone before launching. If you see an SA-15 launch on your RWR then you won't be able to turn and run then climb, since it has lured you close. You have to use the last ditch high-G pull maneuver to defeat these and then get the hell out of there before it launches again.

In the case of IR missiles you won't get a missile launch warning. Fortunately these missiles have shorter range and less maneuvering eneryg than the bigger SAMS. Without that launch warning you do need to keep your 'head on a swivel' though (look around!). Doing a pair attack where one A-10 is the 'shooter' while the other flies 'cover' to watch and calls SAM launches is *very* effective. Then when the first guy is winchester you swap roles.

In the case of IR missiles you won't get a missile launch warning.

This is incorrect. The MLWS will usually, if not always, warn of an IR missile launch. In fact it will pick up all the missiles launches in your vicinity, including friendly air to ground missiles. This is why, when operating near friendly aircraft, it's important to listen close to radio chatter, and to call out your missile launches in multiplayer.

• Like 1

This is incorrect. The MLWS will usually, if not always, warn of an IR missile launch. In fact it will pick up all the missiles launches in your vicinity, including friendly air to ground missiles. This is why, when operating near friendly aircraft, it's important to listen close to radio chatter, and to call out your missile launches in multiplayer.

A yeah, forgot it was DCS we were talking about rather than FC2 - you are perfectly right about this.

What is the correct call for launching an AGM? The other night while playing i got a launch warning, and a friend said "missile launch". I asked if it was him and he said yes, but he was just confirming it was him that called it. seconds later i get a missile so far up my arse it burned my tonsils.