Add functionality for NDBs and AFD navigation

LostOblivion

I searched the forums and found this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=27478&highlight=ADF+NDB

What happened to NDB and ADF navigation in DCS: A-10C Warthog, and will this be implemented in future modules of DCS, such as DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, if be it? I am really missing this feature from DCS, and I think it would bring a lot of fun into what is already a really good flight simulator.

Lost

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

Yes, it is there, which is why I find it strange it is absent in DCSW. If you set your UHF radio to ADF, the needle will point to what seems to be the north side of the middle of the map, as if they "barely" left it out.

(That was a hint.)

But doesn't the Hawg UHF radio stop at 299.00MHz, whereas NDBs usually operate in the high KHz / low MHz range, f.ex. 945KHz = 0.945MHz? Or, in other words, the WH UHF radio operates in a much higher frequency band altogether and would thus be completely unsuitable even if the frequency counter went up to, say, 1000?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

A-10, AFAIK, like most military Jets, does not need ADF nor NDB. ED didn't stop modeling it. The A-10 does not have it or use it, nether do many F-16, F-117, etc

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Ah, yes, according to Wikipedia, the NDB conforms to ICAO standard by being in the range 0.190 to 1.750 MHz. My apologies for my false anticipation, effte, I think I got put off by the manual which puts the ADF functionality of the A-10's radios in the same category as features that are not modeled by simply stating it is "Not functional".

All is good now, thanks for the clarification! :)

Edited by LostOblivion

Yes, indeed. However, I do not see the reasoning behind the painstakingly accurate checklists in the DCSW manual about how to operate the ADF when the radios (obviously not custom made for the A-10) do not support it with the rest of the suite. It suggests inputting the correct frequency for ADF navigation, which I find strange, unless there are other radio transmitters operating in the valid range for the AN/ARC-186(V) VHF and the AN/ARC-164 UHF radios that can be used by the ADF functionality. It is quite misleading. Clarify, please?

However, it is perfectly understandable, and I am thankful for the fact that ED actually goes the extra mile to make the switches work, UHF/FM lights on the NMCP illuminate, etc, even though the authentic avionics suite does not include a working ADF extension from the VHF/UHF radios into the aircraft avionics suite. Cheers.

Edited by LostOblivion

• 2 years later...