Palit GTX 580 3GB bought - opinions?

OK - finally bit the bullet and parted with some of my hard earned moolah, and got me a 3GB Palit GTX 580. Opinions? Flames? Kudos?

Or a final verdict - is user msalama, as his wife always claims, indeed a bleeding idiot? :music_whistling:

3GBs of VRAM is indeed a bit much for a single display, granted. But the extra memory only cost me €30 or thereabouts...

PS. The computer this bad boy goes into is a brand-new i7 k2600 @ 4.4GHz and 16GB of RAM, so it's plenty fast enough for the card I'd reckon.

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I understand your wife's point of view :) Nevertheless I'd say kudos!!

In the end it all depends on how much time of joy you get for your buck. And assuming we're talking many hours, days, months, .... then it's money well spent.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Thanks guys! Yah, they say a 7970 beats a GTX 580 hands down, but I don't know - I only do DCS and occasionally RoF nowadays, and for those at least the card is aplenty...

S!

Edited by msalama

I have a Zotac 580/3GB and I am very happy with it. I haven't done lots of actually testing but in one test on ROF I saw GPU-Z report memory usage right at 2GB but nothing higher so far.

Two monitors total resolution 2560x2520.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

OK, the card is installed and configured. Getting some 100FPS in the A-10 cockpit at max settings now when everything's up and running it seems :D Will cap it at 40FPS or so I think - we shall see. Onwards with tinkering now...

S!

OK, the card is installed and configured. Getting some 100FPS in the A-10 cockpit at max settings now when everything's up and running it seems :D Will cap it at 40FPS or so I think - we shall see. Onwards with tinkering now...

S!

First off: Kudos and enjoy sir.

Second off: 100fps in the cockpit at max settings? Damn. I think I have to get what you just got! :)

Let us know how the tinkering goes.

CS (LFFPS - Looking for FPS :))

CheckSix

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe G3, i7-2700k@4.5GHz, EVGA Classified GTX590 3GB, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Prolimatech Armageddon CPU Cooler, Intel 510 SSD 120GB, Western Digital 750GB, Silverstone 1000W Gold, CoolerMaster HAF X case, CH Fighterstick, CH ProThrottle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro

Thank you Sir Checksix!

Have the card capped at 30FPS now, being the conservative that I am ;) Ran a couple missions already too - no stutters @ max, no fuss, no mess, no nothing! And looking at the temps the bugger doesn't even break sweat @ 30FPS it seems - we're at 50Cish after a long and pretty lively mission now.

Yah, looking oh so bloody good :D But we'll see what happens when the initial euphoria wears off - time for some critical thinking & opinions tomorrow or the day after I'd reckon.

As always - S! Will get back to you later.

Yep, this card is excellent. Have everything at max except HDR off and shadows, civvie traffic and water low, plus tweaked the fog and haze parameters as instructed in this thread. The sim is capped at 30FPS, and seems to pretty much stay right there. One happy camper here I'm telling ya :D

Nice purchase of yours, I assume more GPU Ram is better FPS and smoother graphics! Yesterday I got ASUS GTX580 DCII 1.5MB. I am getting much better FPS! although FPS drop dramatically near airbases. Anyway I need to test it more also need to optimize graphics options!

System specs below

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - Corsair AX750watt

Board - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO

CPU - Intel i5 6600K 3900MHz

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Memory - Kingston HYPERX 16G DDR4 2400Mhz CL15

Graphics - MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 NVMe

Monitor - Philips 277E 27" 1920x1080 60Hz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Flight Controllers - Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek COMBAT RUDDER PEDALS, TrackIR 4, Track Clip Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's funny how different HW / SW combinations seem to affect the sim so much. As I said I've conservatively locked both BS and WH at 30FPS now, and suffer no stutters / FPS losses at all since buying the GTX580 because the framerate never seems to go below that. I did experience some highly annoying stuttering and occasional low FPS with my old GTS450 however, but that's no wonder because said card really is craptastic after all...

So yah, a happy camper here still :) Where do you guys have your FPS locked at, BTW?

Waxi,

Open the file C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS[black Shark|A-10C]\Config\graphics.cfg and scroll down to line 373. There's a variable called "MaxFPS" which defines the maximum framerate for the sim.

msalama what res do you have it at?

Hah, using my ancient 17" CRT display for a couple of monts yet so it's still at 1024x768 :D Looking for a new screen ATM & will probably buy one in a month or two though.

I'm however pretty confident that this card can handle a much heavier resolution without croaking, so I'm looking to run it at 1920 x something or so. (Sordid) details following...