Power supply question

As I see in people signatures, many have power supplies 700, 800watt. This happens to people who have just one VGA card and normal system parts. I wonder if there is any particular reason why you have much more power than needed to your systems?

System specs below

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - Corsair AX750watt

Board - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO

CPU - Intel i5 6600K 3900MHz

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Memory - Kingston HYPERX 16G DDR4 2400Mhz CL15

Graphics - MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 NVMe

Monitor - Philips 277E 27" 1920x1080 60Hz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Flight Controllers - Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek COMBAT RUDDER PEDALS, TrackIR 4, Track Clip Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They are also susceptible to degradation over time, so if the unit is intended to be in use for many years, having additional margins is a good idea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Also the price difference between a 650w and an 850w is often very little. Meaning it's a no brainer going for that extra bit of power as you would have enough headroom to sli/cf in the future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First to Fight, First to Strike.

In addition to all the above, if you want a modular PSU, or other high end features such as a very low noise model or a larger number of connectors they are quite often 850W and above anyway.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

It is not enough to look at power output. You have to check power distribution too! In common PC you need 12V, 5V and 3.3V. But atx power supply has certain limits concerning power-shifting, i.e. you might have 700W supply, but if it gives max 150W in 3V+5V and you need more, it is not sufficient for you even total power you need is less than 700W...

One more thing: power supplies with higher output have generally better cooling (bigger heat-sinks, better fans, etc) because they are designed with higher level of maximum dissipated power in mind. If you need 400W from 800W-rated PSU, its fan is barely rotating and audible, while 500W-rated PSU (of the same series/efficiency/design/etc) is nearly on its max not only concerning power-output but cooling too. And while producing about the same amount of heat, it needs higher fan speed due to smaller heat sink surface...

PSU is the thing where user should never try cutting costs of his pc down. Unfortunatelly, exactly this is happening quite frequently...

Thank you all for the info!:)

System specs below

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - Corsair AX750watt

Board - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO

CPU - Intel i5 6600K 3900MHz

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Memory - Kingston HYPERX 16G DDR4 2400Mhz CL15

Graphics - MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 NVMe

Monitor - Philips 277E 27" 1920x1080 60Hz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Flight Controllers - Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek COMBAT RUDDER PEDALS, TrackIR 4, Track Clip Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PSU is the thing where user should never try cutting costs of his pc down. Unfortunatelly, exactly this is happening quite frequently...

And, even more unfortunately, it's a component that almost all "off-the-shelf" manufacturers (like Dell, HP, etcetera) cut costs on, which usually ends up both limiting the lifespan of the machine, increasing the risks of catastrophic failures (I've seen a faulty PSU take the whole computer with it) as well as almost guaranteeing that a video card upgrade will also require a PSU upgrade.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

And, even more unfortunately, it's a component that almost all "off-the-shelf" manufacturers (like Dell, HP, etcetera) cut costs on, which usually ends up both limiting the lifespan of the machine, increasing the risks of catastrophic failures (I've seen a faulty PSU take the whole computer with it) as well as almost guaranteeing that a video card upgrade will also require a PSU upgrade.

I so Agree. I run Corsair 1000w PSu's in both my machines, Having the newer GPU's require an 8pin and 6pin connector for each GPU, The 1000w has them, so upgrading in the future is no worries.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

all good reaplies... in general PSU have best efficiency at about 50-75% load so really if you estimate to be needing 400W total power for the system you should get at least 600W PSU. If they run at current close so their max ratings the components degrate and will fail lot sooner compared to componenets that were not stressed all the time. There is also stability issue when PSU runns close to its rated power.

So really you should never go cheap on the PSU, it should always be of good quality and you should always have more power then you "need" ;)

No longer active in DCS...

.... or use 2 PSUs on 1 PC :music_whistling:

without going into details. Tried it. I'ts not worth the time, effort or trying to save money just cause I had two extra PSU's lying around. :doh:

My Specs. below

ASUS TUF Z390 Pro Gaming

I5 9600K@4.5 Ghz.

32 Gb. G. Skill Rip Jaw V DDR4 @ 3200

MSI Gaming 1070 TI

Samsung 970 EVO+ NVME Pcie 500GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

OCZ 120GB vertex 2 SSD

Win10 64 Pro

TM Warthog

TM Cougar

Samsuny Odyssey +

CH Pro Pedals

ASUS 32" 2560X1440 Main

Samsung 23" LED/LCD 1920X1080

Corsair TX 850W

Corsair H100i GTX

HAF 932

without going into details. Tried it. I'ts not worth the time, effort or trying to save money just cause I had two extra PSU's lying around. :doh:

Especially since two mediocre power supplies are still not going to make one good one.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: