ILS deviation bars never show up?

When coming in for a landing, I always contact tower and get permission and switch to ILS mode (from the Navigation Control panel) and also set the frequency and turn on the ILS from the right control panel. I'm always about 10 miles, I hear the morse code, but the ILS bars never show up on my ADI. They will show up during the tutorial, but that tutorial is bugged as they never give you a waypoint that puts you right in front of the runway a few miles out so you can coast her in. It's always a waypoint to the airport itself.

Anyone else having this problem?

This is what you are missing, probably.

10. Pitch and Roll Bar Switch. The switch labeled PTR enables you to display or stow the pitch and roll steering bars on the ADI and the course warning flag. Setting this switch to ABLE enables them to be shown and setting the switch to STOW disables them unless TISL or FM homing are active.

Page 117 Flight Manual

1280674651_steeringbars.JPG.b84c07afab51aa5b462a06a3984a3d58.JPG

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm nowhere near instrument flying (I can not keep the bars centered like a "cross" on the ADI by just looking at the instruments) capable.

I'll double check what you guys mentioned and see if this helps.

2 things I found extremely tough in flying.

1) Landing centered on the runway. I can NOT do this. I'm either too far to the left of the centerline or coming in too high and touching down too far from entrance to the runway only to run out of road (even with airbrakes and wheel brakes applied).

2) Doing a correct 360 degree turn without veering off from altitude or speed significantly. I have yet to pass this test in the tutorial.

-M

Edited by Shaderhacker

Are you adjusting your trim when you do this test? I can imagine it would be impossible (or at least very difficult) to complete it without adjusting your trim.

Additionally- on the first point... are you actually engaging wheel steering once you've landed? Just because you've put the gear down doesn't mean it's enabled. I know that had me stuffed for awhile.

There are loads of potential things but I know these were some of my initial problems.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Are you adjusting your trim when you do this test? I can imagine it would be impossible (or at least very difficult) to complete it without adjusting your trim.

Additionally- on the first point... are you actually engaging wheel steering once you've landed? Just because you've put the gear down doesn't mean it's enabled. I know that had me stuffed for awhile.

There are loads of potential things but I know these were some of my initial problems.

I don't like putting NWS on until I slow to about 50kts. Just small minor rudder movements with NWS on makes the tires squeal and have my plane about to roll over on it's backside! So I avoid activating it immediately after touching down until I've straightened the plane.

I'm nowhere near instrument flying (I can not keep the bars centered like a "cross" on the ADI by just looking at the instruments) capable.

I'll double check what you guys mentioned and see if this helps.

2 things I found extremely tough in flying.

1) Landing centered on the runway. I can NOT do this. I'm either too far to the left of the centerline or coming in too high and touching down too far from entrance to the runway only to run out of road (even with airbrakes and wheel brakes applied).

2) Doing a correct 360 degree turn without veering off from altitude or speed significantly. I have yet to pass this test in the tutorial.

-M

Try this. it might help.

The videos basically use simple geometry to set up a customised ILS approach and you essentially have a straight in approach in low visibility. And they also show you how to use the CDU more efficiently.

Part1

Part2

Enjoy

Redfish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men