Missile Versus GAU-8

Antorian

So I'm wondering. Is it possible to shoot a missile out of the sky with a GAU-8? If so, does anyone have a track?

Windows 10

Intel Core i5 4670k CPU 3.4 GHz

16GB RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

TrackIR 4

Possible? Yes..

Likely to ever happen? No way..

DCS A-10C II Warthog, DCS AV-8B, DCS F/A-18C. DCS F-16C DCS KA-50 III, DCS F-14B. DCS AH-64 Apache. DCS Mirage F1. DCS F-15E.
System: Z690 - i9-12900k - RTX 3080ti - 32gb ram - 2tb NVME - 2x2tb HDD - TM Hotas Warthog - MFG Rudders - Trackir/VR

I remember firing at a maverick I launched and it blew up, maybe that was a fluke I don't know.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

like the CIWS phalanx? Maybe MP (LAN) will test the theory. Nice question though. Also, use the BGM tomahawk for the test.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

And here I thought we were talking cruise missiles etc. Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd want to tackle such a missile at all. Even AMRAAM would not be able to intercept it at full speed - the closure would likely end up out of seeker/processor RF limits, or out of fuze RF limits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

And here I thought we were talking cruise missiles etc. Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd want to tackle such a missile at all. Even AMRAAM would not be able to intercept it at full speed - the closure would likely end up out of seeker/processor RF limits, or out of fuze RF limits.

I think you're underestimating AMRAAM. I once hit a target 30 miles out without a lock on, direct hit.

The target also happened to be me, but that's just a minor issue.

A bit more on topic, I'm pretty sure I've seen in one of my mission logs that a gun has hit a missile. I know for sure that missiles can hit missiles. Neither is easy to do.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

This has nothing to do with range. This has to do with radar capabilities. Typically air to air missiles cannot handle the closure of a high-speed missile.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I think you're underestimating AMRAAM. I once hit a target 30 miles out without a lock on, direct hit.

the problem isn't tracking the target, it's fuze timing. If the fuze is programmed to account for a rate of closure ranging from, say, mach 0.5 to mach 2, and it is closing head-on with a mach-6 missile, the target will be behind the AMRAAM by the time the fragmentation cone is fully developed.

It's the same problem Patriot missiles used to have with ballistic missiles, the rate of closure is so fast that the target is clear of the blast area of the missile before the warhead finishes detonating.

The seeker can have issues too. You can have doppler cut-off, eclipsing or folding happening. Heck, the ECCM might decide that such a closure means the missile is being jammed. Who knows.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't worry, the first part of the post was just a joke referencing a time I shot myself with my own missile. It has nothing to do with the subject of the thread. The second part does.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

It's hard to tell sometimes; in FC1 I had a 60nm kill on a Su-27 with a 120C ;) I guess he wasn't expecting it, and fell out of the sky before he even got LA, hehe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]