Nvidia 670

Hey everyone! So here's the deal. I'm looking to upgrade my computer and I'm trying to figure out what will get me the most bang for my buck. My current system is in my sig. So I'm looking to boost my FPS. I run two screens (one with the view, the other with two MFD's). I've heard about the GTX 670 and I'm interested. However, I've recieved advice that claims that an upgrade from my current card would do little to my overall performance and I should be looking at a new CPU instead. Does anyone have thoughts on this CPU versus video card debate?

From where I stand, a new CPU would require a new motherboard (thank you intel for changing your socket from 1156 to 1155 :mad:) and would be roughly $450 for a motherboard and CPU. Not to mention reinstalling Windows and all my beloved programs. However, the GTX 670 is simply a card swap and is cheaper. I'm just curious which one would yield the best returns for time, energy, money, and FPS. Thanks guys!

Windows 10

Intel Core i5 4670k CPU 3.4 GHz

16GB RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

TrackIR 4

The real experts will be along soon but for my money I would not bother with a graphics upgrade as your CPU is probably more of a hinderance to your current system.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks. Just to be specific, the slowdown seems to occur over cities and hits my fps to 15. Normally I can pull 25-30 fps with scenes to low but I feel that something needs to be on the ground (the reason for the upgrade). I have scenes set to medium and the load across my processor cores are about 20-30%

Edited by Antorian

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

FWIW, I just upgraded from two GTX 460s SLI to a single GTX 670 and I couldn't be happier. It's night and day how solid the performance is, even though my previous setup wasn't exactly hurting my frames either. I run everything 1920x1080 on a 40" screen with maxed out graphics settings and rarely ever run into any kind of framerate issues, and I'm quite picky about keeping them at a constant high, too (>40 fps in DCS/LOFC or 60 fps mimumum in newer games that take better advantage of your GPU). We all know DCS/LOFC is mostly CPU bottlenecked, but I'm rarely ever below 45 fps in the most graphic intense areas with cockpit shadows and every other setting as high as they'll go (MSAA 4x+). Other games such as BF3 I'm usually seeing 70-80 fps or more with Ultra settings maxed out in battle.

My specs are in my sig. I'm also running an older generation i7 (just like you, although the Bloomfield), so hopefully this helps some...

My advice: I think if you buy a newer and faster CPU/Mobo combo you're going to want a better GPU as well, so why not start with a 670 and see! You can always transfer it to your new build eventually... I bought the EVGA GTX 670 FTW (uses the same PCB as the GTX 680, but with fewer CUDA cores - otherwise the same card). I'd highly recommend that card!

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

I have a 670 FTW also and I love the card. I upgraded from a 8800GT so there was a huge improvement for me. It runs A-10C with high settings at 50+ FPS. I run 2 monitors off my 670 a 26" and 24" at 1920x1200. All the games I play I run on high/highest settings and everything is smooth, no FPS issues here. I still need to run some FPS test with running my CPU at stock and overclocked.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

i7 860 + Nvidia 670 + Scenes in High (Resol 1920 x 1200) = 35 - 45 fps

So thats your current system?

Also, thanks to all for your advice.

Edited by Antorian

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

Antorian, I'm currently in the process of building a new PC and, after reading lots of reviews, chose the EVGA GTX 670 as my card. I haven't had the chance to get the system operational yet, but I'm sure you will not be disappointed with it's performance.

As was suggested earlier, I would say go for the GTX 670 and try it in your current machine. If you don't see a markable improved, you already have a major part of a new PC build. Save up your cash and build a new machine and put the 670 in that. Either, it's a great card.

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

I would advise you either to do the following

1. Upgrade to the 670 MSI OC power edition and keep your current CPU and wait till next gen. Overclock your CPU to like 3.5Ghz in the meantime.

2. Dont upgrade anything yet and get a new CPU and GPU when Intel/Nvidia release the next gen stuff.

The reason is if you look at the graphs the Next gen will blow all old gen stuff away. I would also Overclock your CPU until it is released. If you want to see the graph just let us know :P

I also read an article that stated Intel in 2015 would have a CPU that would have better graphics than a dedicated GPU. If you want to wait till then though I think you maybe in trouble playing games on low! XD:D

"Too Tall" SQ 213

i7 870 / 8GB RAM 1333MHz / 2x500Gb Hard Drives @7200 RPM / Windows 7 64 bit / ATI Sapphire 6870 / Asus P7P55D-E / NZXT Phantom Case/ Corsair H80 liquid and fan cooler.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Overclock your CPU see how that goes then think about throwing more money at the box

I can't overclock. My cooling isn't that good and the CPU would get a bit to close to overheating for marginal gains in CPU power.

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

Of course you can overclock. You can overclock the most new CPUs a lot without even having to increase Vcore (Core voltage).

This means only a small increase in heat.

I would say with Hyper Threading disabled in BIOS (which eats up fps anyway) your CPU should do 3.5-3.7Ghz(with TurboBoost) on default voltage level.

Then with good cooling you could go up to 4-4.2Ghz.

As long as the CPU doesn't heat up over 75°C in stress testing the temperature is fine.

Read a proper overclocking guide before doing this though.

Edited by Migo

As long as the CPU doesn't heat up over 75°C in stress testing the temperature is fine.

In stress tests it goes to 80-85°C. Tj. max is 99°C

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

If your CPU heats up that much at stock speed there must be something wrong. Usually the default CPU cooler will keep a quad core at around 55-65°C.

This was using intelburntest v2.53 with stress level high 2048MB. Hotest it got was 92°C at that level. However, normal everyday operation is around 50 to 55°C. 68-75°C when playing DCS. I would love to overclock but first, I'd need a good guide to look up and then the question is with my stock cooling how much more could I get out of it.

Edited by Antorian

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

Try to buy coolermaster hyper 212+ cooler its not that expensive and i am runing my cpu on 4GHz> overclock is easy i am sure that someone will help.

use a good thermal paste it makes a miracles.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

well I just turned off hyper threading and I've got a noteable change in FPS about 10 more frames. so low density is now 60ish and high scenes being rendered and other objects is about 25 to 30. However, there are still strange stutters. Anywho, I may try the CPU cooler option. The replacement fan I baught was a pain. Since it required a bracket to secure it, I had to remove the motherboard completely. Fun times.

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

Strange stutters seem to happen though. Is there a way to lock the frame rate? I have it rockin at 60 but it will smack down to 30 fps.

Edited by Antorian

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

FWIW, I just upgraded from two GTX 460s SLI to a single GTX 670 and I couldn't be happier. It's night and day how solid the performance is, even though my previous setup wasn't exactly hurting my frames either. I run everything 1920x1080 on a 40" screen with maxed out graphics settings and rarely ever run into any kind of framerate issues, and I'm quite picky about keeping them at a constant high, too (>40 fps in DCS/LOFC or 60 fps mimumum in newer games that take better advantage of your GPU). We all know DCS/LOFC is mostly CPU bottlenecked, but I'm rarely ever below 45 fps in the most graphic intense areas with cockpit shadows and every other setting as high as they'll go (MSAA 4x+). Other games such as BF3 I'm usually seeing 70-80 fps or more with Ultra settings maxed out in battle.

You just saved me £150 off of my new pc, thank you. I was torn between this and the 680, i was all but set on the 680 but il go for the 670 now, im only running a single 24" screen anyway, il upgrade 12-18 months down the line when the 690 is a more sensible price i think so i can think about multi monitors. For now il put the savings towards a bigger ssd. Cheers.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Hey everyone! So here's the deal. I'm looking to upgrade my computer and I'm trying to figure out what will get me the most bang for my buck. My current system is in my sig. So I'm looking to boost my FPS. I run two screens (one with the view, the other with two MFD's). I've heard about the GTX 670 and I'm interested. However, I've recieved advice that claims that an upgrade from my current card would do little to my overall performance and I should be looking at a new CPU instead. Does anyone have thoughts on this CPU versus video card debate?

From where I stand, a new CPU would require a new motherboard (thank you intel for changing your socket from 1156 to 1155 :mad:) and would be roughly $450 for a motherboard and CPU. Not to mention reinstalling Windows and all my beloved programs. However, the GTX 670 is simply a card swap and is cheaper. I'm just curious which one would yield the best returns for time, energy, money, and FPS. Thanks guys!

Get an i7 2600k(kurz) 3.4 GHz 8 Mb cache memory CPU. It will make a lot of difference. It's socket 1155 though, so be sure your mobo supports 1155.

Afterwards, you may get the GTX 670 @ 2Gb for the same price.

Both for 600 USD, but you could wait it out to Christmas for discounts.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Get an i7 2600k(kurz) 3.4 GHz 8 Mb cache memory CPU. It will make a lot of difference. It's socket 1155 though, so be sure your mobo supports 1155.

Afterwards, you may get the GTX 670 @ 2Gb for the same price.

Both for 600 USD, but you could wait it out to Christmas for discounts.

I would love to get a new system but due to the hastle involved with purchasing a new motherboard/CPU (mainly, reinstalling windows, all my lovely programs, you know, a whole day worth of work) I'd rather put in a 670 but I'm worried that doing such a thing would not end up solving my problems since I've heard that the CPU is a bottleneck given how DCS works. I'm trying to get input if the 670 would give me at least 10-15 fps boost on the most difficult renders given my current CPU. Is there a way to determine if a new card would make a difference or is it guess work?

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

Is there a way to determine if a new card would make a difference or is it guess work?

It may not be pure guess work for someone sufficiently knowlegable however, due to the many variables in pc hardware combinations the only sure way to get an accurate answer is to try it.

Even if someone with a 'very similar' setup get certain results that is still not a gaurentee the you will get those same results.

Personally I doubt you are going to get 10-15 from adding that card.

On another subject, most decent CPU coolers are going to have brackets which require you to have access to the back of the mb. If you look at some of the better cases out there you will see that the motherboard pan has a cutout to allow exactly that.

EDIT: The hassle of upgrades is part of life with gaming machines, IMHO. That's why nothing I rely on from day to day is on my primary game box.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

On another subject, most decent CPU coolers are going to have brackets which require you to have access to the back of the mb. If you look at some of the better cases out there you will see that the motherboard pan has a cutout to allow exactly that.

EDIT: The hassle of upgrades is part of life with gaming machines, IMHO. That's why nothing I rely on from day to day is on my primary game box.;)

well I may be able to just get a good cooler and over clock...

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4

A good cooler is rarely a bad investment. Many will have the potential of fitting your next CPU/MB with only the additional purchase of a new set of mounting hardware (for whatever the next configuration is). It will also cost much less than the video card.

Not sure what you can expect with regard to oc'ing that chip but as I said; the cooler will still be useful later. Noctua is a good brand for after-market air cooling options.

I would not be upset if all I had to do was get a good cooler and oc but it depends on how cool I can make it...next month I may be purchasing a new motherboard and CPU due to a too much money problem (thank you wedding season).

Windows 10

16GB RAM

TrackIR 4