So you want to be a P-51 Pilot ?

Slap_Chop

Gotta Say I'm really enjoying this P-51 Sim. Wasn't sure I would like it but the impeccable modelling

of all the systems right down to switching fuel tanks etc. etc. etc. really gives you an idea of what

flying one of these war birds would be like.

Anyway after many many crashes (Mostly on Take Off and Landing) it occurred to me that if this is a

reasonably accurate flight model of the P-51 (which it appears to be) then it would have been incredibly

scary to step into one for the 1st time in real life.

So to soothe my bruised ego, after a little research I found some articles which seem to indicate that

others have had a problem taming the mustang in real life.

According to the Army Air Forces (AAF) Statistical Digest, in less than four years (December 1941- August

1945), the US Army Air Forces lost 14,903 pilots, aircrew and assorted personnel plus 13,873 airplanes ---

inside the continental United States. They were the result of 52,651 aircraft accidents (6,039 involving

fatalities) in 45 months.

Quote taken from the article Below.

http://www.sodahead.com/living/wwii---scary-facts-and-figures-on-air-force-training-and-casualties/question-1776633/

Also found this Article on actual P-51 accidents with Registration Numbers

you can search in the NTSB database link provided in the article .

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/p51accidents.php

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gotta Say I'm really enjoying this P-51 Sim. Wasn't sure I would like it but the impeccable modelling

of all the systems right down to switching fuel tanks etc. etc. etc. really gives you an idea of what

Anyway after many many crashes (Mostly on Take Off and Landing) it occurred to me that if this is a

reasonably accurate flight model of the P-51 (which it appears to be) then it would have been incredibly

So to soothe my bruised ego, after a little research I found some articles which seem to indicate that

http://www.sodahead.com/living/wwii---scary-facts-and-figures-on-air-force-training-and-casualties/question-1776633/

Wow...that is quite interesting to see..more homeland casualties than in the war flying the Cadillac...but still love this bird..

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

wow.. fVck that, man!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Ideally the military trains a guy in steps from trainers to less demanding aircraft until the likes of a thoroughbred race horse. Chuck Yeager's 1st bailout was in training in a P-39. I have Yeager's 2 autobiographies, I think that is stated in the 1st book. He started out as a mechanic in the Air Force.

I have been flying a lot in the FSX carrier planes. There is a free download of the Boeing T-45 Goshawk to train on the AiCarriers2 carrier practice free download to ease in to the F-18 and the Superbug. I did not know the Navy had this two seat trainer, the training pilot in the back seat. They 1st practice to a land based airfield with cables and zones to stop within before their carrier traps and cats training.

Just heard a true story of an experienced pilot, by this guy's Air Force buddy. The pilot was in an A-10 that flew a combat sortie in Iraq, stationed in Saudi Arabia. On his way back home, he landed ok, his nose wheel collapsed and he died.

Edited by ErichVon

I actually can land her pretty well. First one was pretty wild, but it only took me three or four tries to get it right. Takeoff is another story; this is incredibly difficult for me. Every single one has me tense as anything, and I can't keep the bird from bouncing up and down and skidding from side to side on the runway. The easiest way I've found is to fly off the ground in the 3-point attitude, at very high alpha, but that's a terrible way to take off an airplane, so I'm trying to practice raising my tail a while before rotation. However, raising the tail without the gyro effect becoming uncontrollable is almost impossible for me, and the elevator is so very sensitive that I'm pounding my poor wheels with PIO just as I start to rotate. I probably should try using the trim settings that the manual recommended, but I seem to recall reading that trimming for takeoff is at least partially bugged in the current version.

Edited by Echo38

I actually can land her pretty well. First one was pretty wild, but it only took me three or four tries to get it right. Takeoff is another story; this is incredibly difficult for me. Every single one has me tense as anything, and I can't keep the bird from bouncing up and down and skidding from side to side on the runway. The easiest way I've found is to fly off the ground in the 3-point attitude, at very high alpha, but that's a terrible way to take off an airplane, so I'm trying to practice raising my tail a while before rotation. However, raising the tail without the gyro effect becoming uncontrollable is almost impossible for me, and the elevator is so very sensitive that I'm pounding my poor wheels with PIO. I probably should try using the trim settings that the manual recommended, but I seem to recall reading that trimming for takeoff is at least partially bugged in the current version.

It is, but setting the trim to 2.5 degrees instead of 5 should work fine in the current release.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

I find that the elevator nose down trim is important for take offs, I probably put in about 10 to 12 degrees, (not sure the exact number). I also keep the stick back into the lap during initial rollout to lock the wheel, then push the stick forward around 70 or 80 MPH (when I get enough rudder authority) and let the nose level out, then gently pull back to lift off the runway.

Edited by Tailgate

Take off is indeed somewhat more tricky than landing as, most times, you have significantly less power on during your approach / touchdown. Personally, I've found that 3 pointing this AC is the way to in landing.

In VH, for our 2 ship show, we have to do a formation take-off. In IL-2, the wingman could focus entirely on the leader and never need to take his eyes off the boss. If you try this way in DCS, you will almost certainly ground loop. The only way we can do a formation take-off and retain directional control is to constantly keep flicking backwards and forwards between looking at the leader and looking in the direction we are travelling. It is significantly more difficult than in IL-2, but I can't help but feel that this is how it should be.

We currently use very little elevator trim (2 clicks nose down on my trim button) and 2 - 3 degrees of right Rudder trim. It is also worth noting that I do not hold the stick back on take-off... I just let the tail come up when it's ready and ease back on the stick to get airborne. I've never had an issue keeping it straight using this method. Keeping control of this aircraft on take-off is all about the application of power and how quickly you want to apply it...

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

I understand that pulling back locks the tailwheel and you should have about 6 deg of tailwheel rotation in neutral, but for some reason I have much more control holding the stick back than in neutral. Maybe I'm increasing power too rapidly and holding back on the stick keeps the tailwheel nailed to the ground until speed builds up enough for rudders to kick in. I'm not really sure at this point, I'll have to experiment.

I'm not really sure at this point, I'll have to experiment.

My taxi technique involves a lot of brake wear! :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

But also increased my respect for any pilot from that era.

Most definitely. I have so much respect and admiration for Aces of all nations during those years. The skill it takes to dogfight is really amazing.

Edited by almonds

"The art of simulation design is about understanding limited fidelity...

...compromises must be made. Designers have to consider cost vs. fidelity and processor time vs. fidelity. Additional trade-offs must be made between graphics, AI, flight models, number of units and more...

...never ask the pilot what he wants to learn because he too will end up building an airplane. Instead, ask the pilot what he needs to learn."

-Gilman "Chopstick" Louie