War emergency power

mnrty

more importantly, how did they 'stay away' from WEP once wire broke?

Don't slam the throttle? It's something you shouldn't be doing anyways.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Don't slam the throttle? It's something you shouldn't be doing anyways.

it is actually a brilliant idea to implement the detent key 'E' for WEP. so, even on my CH pro throttle, if I slam it forward, I still have to hit E key for WEP. Just brilliant!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

it is actually a brilliant idea to implement the detent key 'E' for WEP. so, even on my CH pro throttle, if I slam it forward, I still have to hit E key for WEP. Just brilliant!

What just happened? :);)

Just so you know, everytime you slam the throttle on an engine that is still at low RPM, you are overboosting the engine until it catches up RPM, which will, over the course of just a few of these manouvers, make it seize.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Technically speaking 'E' key just breaks the safety wire, and thus allows to advance throttle beyond its maximum position. So to enable WEP it is not necessary to fly at sea level.

Ahh, thanks! I was wondering why I couldn't seem to turn it off. Now I know I just have to keep the throttle below max after hitting WEP.

What just happened? :);)

Just so you know, everytime you slam the throttle on an engine that is still at low RPM, you are overboosting the engine until it catches up RPM, which will, over the course of just a few of these manouvers, make it seize.

As I found out on a low pullout... Got slow, slammed the throttle forward, and was rewarded with a loud bang, then silence! At least I got it down OK in a field nearby :).

• 1 year later...
I can turn it on no problem but it doesn't turn off. I tried changing the supercharger to low which doesn't do much. So to regulate it I keep the throttle so the pressure is normal, but can't seem to turn it off.

You can't turn it off.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Crew chief: "Oh no, not again!". Must have taken a lot of discipline not to use every ounce of power to get out of Dodge.

You got to remember most real P51 pilots were usually engaged over enemy territory and probably quite far from a friendly airfield. Probably not a great idea to cook your engine unless you had no other choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem until I realized E just breaks the wire. Do you max the corners of your stick, throttle and trim wheels before you fly so Windows understands what you max throttle setting is. I use a Saitek 52. Helped for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pressing E (WEP) also changes the range of the throttle in the sim which can result in accidentally using WEP when you didn't intend after you have broken the wire.

Since WEP (E key on keyboard) just breaks the wire, as stated, E just allows you to move the throttle further forward in the sim and hence increase the manifold pressure beyond 61 inches to a max of 67. It is a little confusing because at lower altitude it doesn't seem to do anything, but that's been explained in previous posts.

Also confusing... pressing E changes the range of throttle movement (sim vs. our real controller). So, before pressing E, you have to move your controller throttle to 100% to get 61 inches MP. But, after you press E, 100% throttle movement now represents 67 inches, and 61 inches is now somewhere around 80% throttle. Because of this, it is easy to accidentally push into WEP when you don't want to or need to and possibly blow your engine sooner. I assume in the real P-51, pilots who broke the wire would use muscle memory of the throttle position to avoid using WEP any more than they had to, but we don't have that in DCS because of how E changes the throttle range.

So, if you have a programmable controller, you might want to program the throttle axis to compensate for this. I wanted my physical throttle control to match what the sim throttle was doing, including having to think about not breaking the wire, or not pushing into WEP if I didn't need it after breaking the wire.

Using my HOTAS Cougar, I programmed the throttle so that before breaking the wire, 0-80% movement of the Cougar throttle represented 0-100% in the sim (61 inches MP). The 80% spot on the Cougar is right at the upper click on my throttle. But if I push past the upper click, I programmed the Cougar to press E, and I re-map the Cougar throttle so the Cougar 0-100% is now 0-100% in sim as well. Now, if I move the Cougar throttle to 80% (the upper click), this is exactly as it was before - 61 inches MP. It creates the illusion as if I actually broke the wire, and it still forces me to not be ham fisted with the throttle, constantly shoving it all the way forward into WEP, which would blow the engine.

You'll want to program a reset on your throttle to change it back to "wire not broken" for when you load a new mission (without having to reload the controller profile). The Cougar, for example, doesn't know I've reloaded the mission, and hence does not know the state of the wire. I programmed that if I pull the throttle all the way back to 0%, it changes back to the pre-WEP setup.

Most WWII sims of the past didn't seem to have this because moving your physical controller throttle to 100% engaged WEP automatically. But DCS P-51D is being more fancy having an actual key to break the wire.

Not trying to turn this into a HOTAS Cougar discussion, but if you are curious, here's my TARGET code to do it (because I know someone will ask). Note, the throttle axis is actually reversed compared to my comments above - 0 to 100% on Cougar is actually 100-0% in the sim. That's normal.

// Throttle
   //   Throttle is mapped to have an upper dead zone of about 20% which is at the upper notch for my throttle.
   //   This gives 61 in. manifold pressure at upper notch (may need to adjust this depending on notch position).
   //   If upper notch is exceeded and pushed to max physical throttle, WEP is enabled on P-51D (break the wire).
   //   I also re-map throttle axis to use the full range of physical movement as though the last 20% range is
   //   equivalent to moving past the wire in WEP. Interestingly, it just works out that after breaking the wire
   //   the notch still makes about 61 in. manifold pressure, and the upper 20% now moves to the WEP max of 68 in.
   //   You cannot reset WEP in game (once wire is broken, it's broken), but to reset range on throttle, pull back to 
   //   minimum throttle and SetSCurve is reset back to pre-WEP scale (20% dead zone at top).  This is needed if I 
   //   reload the aircraft.  If I accidentally resest to non-WEP, push to WEP again and it goes to WEP mode.
   //   Remember, WEP really only works if Pitch is set to max RPM (3000 RPM). Otherwise you won't see increased manifold pressure.
   MapAxis(&HCougar, THROTTLE, DX_Z_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
   SetSCurve(&HCougar, THROTTLE, 21, 0, 0, 0, 0);                    // upper dead zone at 2nd notch to allow for WEP engagement
   KeyAxis(&HCougar, THROTTLE, 0,
       AXMAP2(LIST(0, 2, 98, 100),                                 // 0-2% is "set WEP" range.  98-100% is "Reset WEP" range
           CHAIN(
               EXEC(
                   "SetSCurve(&HCougar, THROTTLE, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);"    // Engage WEP - change throttle to use full range, no upper dead zone
               ),                                                    // and
               PULSE+ENG_WarEmergPower                                // engage WEP (break the wire)
           ),
           0,                                                        // do noting in center zone (2% to 98%)
           EXEC("SetSCurve(&HCougar, THROTTLE, 21, 0, 0, 0, 0);")    // Reset WEP - reset throttle curve to non-WEP if I go to 0 throttle.
       )
   );

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1