• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not.

Neither are you.

Let me recap here for you:

What they say:

1. They are saying that locked servers are destroying the online community.

2. That we should unlock our servers to "help" out.

Here is what I have been saying:

1. I would, but my concerns are just as valid as theirs.

2. I am willing to help if they address the problems that make public servers problematic.

3. Missions that requires locks cannot be unlocked or my time is ruined.

And what you quote is my response to this attitude:

Unlock your server, I am not going to do anything to help even if you keep repeating your concerns.

So any of you want this as a real solution, then listen to the concerns and do something to correct the concerns and reasons that locked servers exist in the first place. It is very frustrating to be told what to do by a group of people who are doing nothing else but complain. Other than my posts, and those about idiots or concerned server owners, the unlock your server side has had no real solutions or suggestions worth comment here. Not even a consideration for any of it. Is that fair?

Edited by pbishop

So any of you want this as a real solution, then listen to the concerns and do something to correct the concerns and reasons that locked servers exist in the first place. It is very frustrating to be told what to do by a group of people who are doing nothing else but complain. Other than my posts, and those about idiots or concerned server owners, the unlock your server side has had no real solutions or suggestions worth comment here. Not even a consideration for any of it. Is that fair?

Well said that man.

"You must spread some rep around before giving it to pbishop again"

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Well said that man.

Thanks man.

And to who ever said this in my rep above:

Who the hell decided you're the new moral arbiter of ED forums, with your 28 posts? GTFO

Thanks, but its 30 now.

Let me recap here for you:

What they say:

1. They are saying that locked servers are destroying the online community.

2. That we should unlock our servers to "help" out.

Here is what I have been saying:

1. I would, but my concerns are just as valid as theirs.

2. I am willing to help if they address the problems that make public servers problematic.

3. Missions that requires locks cannot be unlocked or my time is ruined.

And what you quote is my response to this attitude:

Unlock your server, I am not going to do anything to help even if you keep repeating your concerns.

You should reread the op's opening post and then leave because you clearly don't have anything to contribute here or understand this threads intentions. Personally after reading your posts i'm glad you keep yourself locked away and wished to hear no more from you. But unfortunately you seem to think the community you wish not to part of owes you something or you're expecting it to do something for you. I'm not interested in this self centered attitude and I doubt neither is the op.

We are looking to people that want to contribute to the community and invest their time in making DCS:online a better more interactive place. You made it clear from the outset you have no intention of this so what are you doing here just stirring up hate.

the op wrote:

this post should not be read as "I wanna play in every server" more than "think before you generally password protect" (f.e: swedish server passwording for their swedish players / french for french players etc..)

You want to keep your server locked fine, no one is telling you to do otherwise, this thread is making a statement that being open is beneficial to the community while being locked ain't. You said your piece left then came back after JABO stuck up for DCS after you deriding it as an unacceptable multiplayer sim, nothing to do with your server being locked.

Thread opener

too many password protected servers online imao.

I understand this for squadron trainings or VFS MP events, but it appears that many guys set up their "for my homies/DCS forum members only" servers, which is a bit worrying when lookin at the current MP overall situation:

-> some servers open, no more than 8 to 12 players online at high times (network coding troubles is a separate issue) ... most of them not more than 3 to 4 players online and even these are often pw protected.

seems ridiculous since the community belongs to the interaction of humans..

this post should not be read as "I wanna play in every server" more than "think before you generally password protect" (f.e: swedish server passwording for their swedish players / french for french players etc..)

Inherently, for some reason we have not too many MP guys in DCSW out there and the ones that are online, often additionally limit access to others... limits the MP fun for no reason. -> Teamkillers, too high pingers, etc can be easily sorted out, so no need for all this passwording..

I hope this changes once FC3/ mig 21bis etc.. comes out..

another oppinion which can often be heard in this forum is the "Flaming Cliffs low fidelity" versus "DCS high fidelity attitude" with players saying we are the best and we're not allowing FC /DCS planes here ...

for god sake why ?? let everbody fly the kind of simming fidelity he wants to fly, some will change to full DCS fideltiy afterwards, some may not...but no reason to separate themselves beforehand.

would really appreciate to hear some response here...

cheers

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

think the community you wish not to part of owes you something or you're expecting it to do something for you. I'm not interested in this self centered attitude and I doubt neither is the op.

Re-read what you wrote there for a minute. Who wants something here?

We are looking to people that want to contribute to the community and invest their time in making DCS:online a better more interactive place. You made it clear from the outset you have no intention of this so what are you doing here just stirring up hate.

I have said that I want to help in almost all of my posts. Would it be fair to you if I made a thread that reads "Stop not hosting servers" and look down on you regardless of your reasons for not hosting one? I would be far more happy if I could unlock my server, but that cant happen until my concerns are met with a clear mind and a willingness to contribute to solving any problems I may have in doing so. Blaming a group in the community for the short commings or even hinting or drawing attention to them is not helping the community any more than you like me at this moment. My intentions are good, but like many others I am sure of, your request or comments have not brought a sentiment of willing to open up as you say.

At the very beggining (when I started to play this game) I had my server unlocked, but you dont care that I had opened up and that my time playing this game was ruined on so many occasions. You only want your point to be heard, which it has been, but open your eyes and see the other side, neither of us gain anything from you continuing to argue against my "attitude", which I only have because I find this thread a bit insulting and damaging from everything starting with the title to your last post, regardless of the intentions behind it.

Read the title, that is not a suggestion. It plain and simply reads as an order. Regardless of the OP. What I dont understand, and fuels my "attitude" you dont like, is how you think its alright to say I expect anything or dont contribute anything here when I have not asked for anything and shared thoughts and ideas with good intention. My attitude comes from your response, not the basic idea you started with. You still dont want to address the issues, you just want to keep at my frustration, which every response like the one above fuels.

Edited by pbishop

Thing is i'm willing to give my time and I do. It's clear you don't wish to open your server, there was no issue with that other than what you made.

I did not say I never want to. Try and grasp my point of view. I have and will continue to say, help me solve the problem with idiots and I will more than gladly help you out. And I am sure everyone else will too if you can make a reasonable argument for doing so.

My initial response was to this:

I see passworded servers as some sort of exclusivity epeen thing.

Which is probably why you still dont get why I have taken this thread as an insult (with the title) incase you didnt read it. Which is probably what you didnt do. Because you quoted my response to that and said this to me:

It's all about promoting the series and broadening our small community, unfortunately some don't wish to play their part in that.

Edited by pbishop

It's simple to me. It's my toy and I will play with it however I want.

Spot on!

Again, the root of the matter.

I host because I can choose my own settings, my own aircraft and who I let in there... Dead simple way to get what you want.

keep your "community is broken negative attitude" and do it the way you want..

^^ Isn't it you that was complaining that the community wasn't doing what you wanted?

Well said that man.

I agree with most of what is said here...

I normally host public servers. But, on occasion I have seriously considered passwording them because of idiots we get in that simply either can't read/follow the server rules or, after spawning, start questing the rules and my decision to enforce them. I find it quite a simple thing really: If you don't like the server rules - get lost and find a server where you can behave... Dead straight forward.

Jabo, If you don't like these passworded servers, host your own. If many people feel the same way, they will start joining. You can not tell people what to do with their spare time. 'pbishop' is dead on with what he said. It's our time, our money, our servers. We'll run them how we damn well want. If I want to password my server, I will. If I don't want to allow FC3 aircraft because I consider them too easy, I wont. I personally don't like the idea of having mixed fidelity aircraft in the same mission... Over this last week, 90% of the people who have disregarded my server rules have been flying FC3 aircraft... Out of that 90%, most of them argued when I stated the server rules and started to question them. Some of them also then blatantly and repeatedly broke the server rules intentionally, several times. I never have this issue with pilots flying the higher fidelity aircraft.... Normally with anyone in an A-10, Ka-50 or P-51, if I warn them once or reiterate a rule, they acknowledge it, apologise and it doesn't happen again. I am seriously considering removing the FC3 aircraft from my missions if this attitude keeps up...

If you really have a problem with people choosing to lock their servers or limit aircraft choice, go host your own and fix it for everybody. If you can't find somebody who can - It's really not that complicated!

At the end of the day, you've come here moaning at people who are providing a service for others to enjoy. I host every weekend as much as I can and usually get a good crowd of respectable pilots in. People who can't follow simple rules, or don't like my server settings are more than welcome to **** off and find another one. I really don't care for this attitude. Most people appreciate having servers hosted for them. You then question why we choose the settings that we do, and then when you get a no bs answer from 'pbishop', you dismiss it angrily. He said exactly how most of the hosts feel... No bull s**t, no sugar coating, just saying it straight.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Don't like what we offer? Feel free to go and host one yourself to your own specs - until then, stop telling us how to run ours!

Edited by VH-Rock

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

I did not say I never want to. Try and grasp my point of view. I have and will continue to say, help me solve the problem with idiots and I will more than gladly help you out. And I am sure everyone else will too if you can make a reasonable argument for doing so.

You are free to your opinion, but until you or anyone else here addresses the issues and attempts solutions to them I consider this whole thread nothing more than a failed attempt to troll people who lock their servers

You don't come across too helpful.

I've tried making it clear that driving fools away is impossible, if you can do that then you need to apply for leader of World peace. These idiots that have joined and messed servers up for fun are a temporary thing that happens everywhere. They have probably never even heard of FC and soon enough they disappear. Patience is key, if you don't wish to take this path then so be it I don't see anyone judging you for this in these pages. I admit the heading of this thread is not good but misleading on the op's intentions.

Different groups reside in their own TS servers as long as they're learning to fly serious missions in a serious manner then that's what counts. With this openess and social interaction comes growth, new squads are formed and more inspiration and drive occurs. The more immersive the mission then the more people want to join the big picture and get hooked up in TS, use TARS and just enjoy flying in a heavily populated server. That is how non dynamic campaign driven online worlds thrive.

If your server's powerful enough then put it to good use, let it open for a duration, let people experience your hard work, why not. In FC2 we fly ip training in populated servers with no issues whatsoever, after all you only need to ask and people amazingly respond positively, they understand you pay the bills.

People need to learn and respect your rules it's not a given but the results pay off, and if you announce 'the server will now close for uber hardcore session, only TS users allowed' then i'm sure the response would be ten fold and you might just be shocked at how many join TS and hey presto you've created interest and drive.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

driving fools away is impossible

Perhaps, but its good sport... :pilotfly:

JK, really, the community is composed of 2 sides IMHO and they often dont mix well.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

the community is composed of 2 sides IMHO and they often dont mix well.

Indeed. The divide between DCS fidelity and FC3 fidelity is like the divide between PC and console pilots... A huge difference between the too. Some times, no matter how hard you hit the 2 pieces, they just aint gonna fit together.

Indeed. The divide between DCS fidelity and FC3 fidelity is like the divide between PC and console pilots... A huge difference between the too. Some times, no matter how hard you hit the 2 pieces, they just aint gonna fit together.

Wow. When DCS:A-10 came out these idiots were a pain. Now they're down to FC3. The arrogance is nauseating. It's clear the divide has nothing to do with flying. :doh:

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

The divide is simple. There are so many ways this game can be played, and for any part of it to succeed will require that threads like these never get created in the first place. We are all responsible for what we make of this game and how we want to play it, to not respect or question someones preference is not a road the "small" community will grow with. If there is something you dont like, start by changing yourself before attempting to change others.

That is what we should all walk away from this conversation with.

^^ Isn't it you that was complaining that the community wasn't doing what you wanted?

No, I wasnt complaining about the community , I was complaining about too many locked servers in MP, or at least a tendency going towards this.

People hosting servers only represent a (small) percentage of the whole community..

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

No, I wasnt complaining about the community , I was complaining about too many locked servers in MP, or at least a tendency going towards this.

People hosting servers only represent a (small) percentage of the hole community..

Before this thread de-rails again, how about you increase that small percentage by +1. Only then will you have done your part in solving what you see as a problem. Creating this thread was a mistake, you could have and should have made your own server. Now before any other responses are made, let this thread die. I feel as I have made enough new enemies to last me a year and I think we can all agree nothing good is going to come from keeping this conversation going.

Before this thread de-rails again, how about you increase that small percentage by +1. Only then will you have done your part in solving what you see as a problem. Creating this thread was a mistake, you could have and should have made your own server. Now before any other responses are made, let this thread die. I feel as I have made enough new enemies to last me a year and I think we can all agree nothing good is going to come from keeping this conversation going.

there he comes again, the small shouting "die thread, die ! " troll... haha... you just made me laugh.

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

there he comes again, the small shouting "die thread, die ! " troll... haha... you just made me laugh.

And how exactly does this comment not only prove my point, but serve absolutely no purpose. I guess I will leave that to a moderator to decide. And take my leave as well.

Forum rules:

1.2. - Members must treat other with respect and tolerance. Material that is offensive, insulting or constitutes an attack against any individual or group will be subject to administrative actions.

Edited by pbishop

let this thread die.

Well the reason it lives is because your concern actually touches on a more fundamental issue that has been debated extensively over the years and, for which I will now bow out of as I have been dowen that road far too many times.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

This is so one eyed, high fidelity resides in FC2 servers, it's called DCS:BS. I've seen so many quality Ka50 pilots co-operating in these servers with outstanding survival rates, on comparison the pilots i've seen who solely fly BS2 couldn't hold a candle to these guys.

The same will happen with A-10C, A-10 pilots that fly together in large FC3 servers will become so profficient (some probably already are) that they will make the falcon loving - hate LOMAC part of the community, who kid themselves with the facade of 'hardcore', look like grannies on a sunday jaunt. Yes the falcon pilots may come into these FC3 servers on occassion, get shot down and cry off about arcade/nonsense/blah. The reality is they fail because they lack the skill and nouse to deal with serious high level threats much prefering the mundane AI which fall like flys in hollywood styled, player centralised, dynamic campaigns or tailored missions. ;)

• Like 2

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Yes the falcon pilots may come into these FC3 servers on occassion, get shot down and cry off about arcade/nonsense/blah. The reality is they fail because they lack the skill and nouse to deal with serious high level threats much prefering the mundane AI which fall like flys in hollywood styled, player centralised, dynamic campaigns or tailored missions. ;)

So you're seriously trying to tell me that the FC3 style push a button and go fly is just as hard has having to know all your aircraft's systems, how to manage them and use them correctly in specific situations that you do in a DCS fidelity aircraft? Pah! :lol: My 7 year old cousin has flown FC series aircraft - try sticking him in the A-10 or Ka-50 and you'd better take cover (If he can even start the thing, that is).

These mixed servers, especially in a combat situation, will just never work. Can you imagine it in F1? We have half the cars with ABS and other driver aids, and half the grid without? The ones without the driver aids wouldn't stand a chance. If you've got the computer doing 90% of the management for you (infact, you don't manage the engine at all other than power), then that's a lot less for you to think about in a mission ;)

If you guys want to fly with these mixed aircraft, go and host your own ;) If you enjoy that kind of thing, great. But I do not see why I should be told how to run my serverl

• Like 1