New Imacs and Lock-on-A-10

Ok guys here is my situation:

I have been playing lock-on since 2006 on an imac with dual core running bootcamp. With the advances in graphics and the new a-10 sim I ran totally outdated and I'm not able to play lock-on 3 and a-10 at all (lock-on just crashes while loading) A-10 runs very slow. My experience with macs is very positive, beautifully crafted design with solid reliability. I also do some graphic design work so my mac is just perfect for the task, and I don't feel like buying a dedicated pc just for the hobby. I want to use my computer for work and playing a-10. Recently I saw the new imacs and I was wondering if this new macs can run a-10 at good settings.

Here are their specs:

21.5-inch: 2.7GHz

• 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
  • 8GB (two 4GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M with 512MB

or

• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB (two 4GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB

or the 27 inch version very expensive

• 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB (two 4GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB

What do you guys think? are this computer good enough? to play simulators?

Build your own for less then and buy iOS and Win7

or

Install Win7 as a duel boot..

EDIT:

This is not AND WILL NOT be an Apple Vs Microsoft..

Apple are VERY good at what they do and that is work related tasks.

Depending IF you can run the game in iOS at all.

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I think you *might* be able to play DCS World on any of those, or at least the 2nd and 3rd options. The GPU is really the limiting factor here, but the CPUs should be enough to get you by.

Edit: I'd like to add that I think the 3rd could definitely probably run it, and the 2nd probably could too, it would just look not as pretty. I'd say the first is a 'maybe probably', however I wouldn't expect miracles out of any of these GPUs, and lower you go, the less likely the computer could handle it. So if those 3 are your choices, then I'd say go with the 2nd, unless you have the money for the third. But if you want to risk it and save money, you could go with the first. None of these computers are bad, it's just DCS is a very intensive program. Also Merry Christmas.

Edited by Sel94

If you check my signature you'll see what imac i have, with that system i get between 30 and 40 fps at medium with the full resolution 2560 x 1440 (changing it to 1080 didnt help)

I think you should upgrade to the 27 inch for sure, as a mac users for years i know what its like to have a machine that works amazing running OS X but with games it lacks.

DCS world seems to be mostly about your graphics card, i have a pretty powerful processor but my video card is a mobile card so its not nearly as powerful as most desktop cards.

Personally my next mac will be a mac pro once they get upgraded which rumor says will be next year, the new imacs dont appeal to me because they are so thin that they have no room for a second SSD like my current imac has (which i will be installing in the next month or two) no VESA mount option, no bootcamp compatibility with 3TB hard drives, altho the best thing seems to be upgraded graphis.

Your best bet is to wait til the new mac pro or get the new imac. You suould post the specs of your current mac to get a better idea

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

All the processors are fine, I ran DCS with a 2.6 quad core and it was fine. It's really just the GPUs I'm unsure about. I'v actually looked at some benchmarks for the 640m(first choice), and it's not a bad card. People can play modern games on it(BF3, Crysis 2) with relatively good fps. You can see here in the last picture that it can handle those games pretty well. Just, look, it runs BF3 at an average 37fps on high!(But mind the lowest fps, 20!) And that's just the cheapest option, the second option has a slightly better GPU, and the third choice is a bit of a jump up from #2. However, DCS is a much more intense game for a computer, so it's kind of hard to judge the performance. I think if this was a matter of playing any other game, the first choice would be fine, it's a good computer. In my opinion, I think the first computer is good enough to play DCS at low settings with decent fps, 2nd choice is med/low, and third is medium with decent fps. I just can't be sure without benchmarks.

It's really your call, do you think a GPU that runs BF3 on high with 37 average fps(but drops to 20) can run DCS?(first choice) If not, do you think a slightly better GPU can run DCS?(second choice) If not, the third's GPU is quite a jump from #2's do you think that can run DCS(Actually, I'm pretty sure #3 will be able to handle DCS with med settings quite smoothly)

Thanks for the input, about the macbook, I have a 2011 macbook pro with this:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

and a-10 looks weird, my guessing is that the video card is not up to the task.

So I guess I'll have to go for the 27". Yesterday they had a good deal on a refurnish model of the previous gen iMac, not the new one they are offering, if I'm not mistaken it had the same video card and processor of the new model.

I might have to wait a little bit to see if I can get the 27" instead. They are very nice machines, that is what I use at work.

Take it from someone who has already tried and do not get an iMac to play games on. (got a late 2009 27" iMac, awesome for everything but games)

If you are a gamer you will not get around having a dedicated PC for games, otherwise you will be plagued by performance and driver issues.

Especially DCS is extremely hardware hungry (mainly because its not properly multithreaded) and you will need every bit of CPU and GPU power you can get.

Get a nice screen and hook your Macbook up to it for everything non-gamey and get a decent gaming-pc.

i5-3570k, 16gb ram and HD7950/gtx660i shouldn't break the bank if you are prepared to get an iMac.

Edited by Nopileus

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the input, about the macbook, I have a 2011 macbook pro with this:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

I too have the same macbook. I do connect it to a 22"Screen and have been running DCS A-10 at 1280xsomething. All set to Low/lowest, and get about 18fps in single missions. Just playable. But have to wish for more. I was also in doubt like you on getting an iMac. My budget constrains me to just getting the base 21.5 inch iMac option(1). In my country it cost about $1570.

And with the new model 21.5 inch not having an option to upgrade the RAM by user (no BTO in my country). I find it very limiting.

So I am finally making up my mind to get a PC for about $1300 (Things are about 30% more expensive here) to Run Games and Houdini. My Gaming includes only Simulators. (X-Plane10, DCS A-10, IL-2 1946, LockOn, Falcon4 AF, netKarPro, F1 2012).

What I am eying on is: Intel i7 3770K, Intel DZ77RE-75K, Geforce GTX 660Ti, 16GB RAM

I had wished that with iMac Apple should have added a better GPU with better cooling system and allow user upgrade of RAM as standard. Or even equip the MacMini with a dedicated GPU at least.

Edited by sapam

[2012 imac 27" 3.2GHz GTX675MX] [CH Fighterstick] [CH ProPedal] [saitek ProThrottle] [CH Flight Yoke] [TrackIR4 Pro]

Sapam, i think you should get a cheaper MoBo, and 8Gb of RAM, but a 670GTX or better instead.

W7x64u + DCS all highest + a freaking loaded map took my 6GB or RAM. 6.1 because Itunes always runs.

My gigabyte D3H supports SLI, PCI3x, USB3, Sata3x2, dual efi, precise overclocking and was very well reviewed. it costs me 90$. 660Ti is overpriced for what is it really.

For iMacs, they'll never do that, because it's already overheating !

And please, this is MacOS, not iOS !! damn !!!! Android x64 lovers !

Edited by Erforce

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Sapam, i think you should get a cheaper MoBo, and 8Gb of RAM, but a 670GTX or better instead.

W7x64u + DCS all highest + a freaking loaded map took my 6GB or RAM. 6.1 because Itunes always runs.

My gigabyte D3H supports SLI, PCI3x, USB3, Sata3x2, dual efi, precise overclocking and was very well reviewed. it costs me 90$. 660Ti is overpriced for what is it really.

!

I might look out for budget MoBo that can easily Overclock Safely, so that I can squeeze in a GTX 670. I still need 16GB ram will be going for 32GB later (for my Houdini Simulations). I'll keep a note of your MoBo. For sure I'll never going to Use SLI, but I'll surely be overclocking the i7 and RAM. Thats why I am looking out for a stable MoBo for Overclocking.

Thanks for the suggestions.

[2012 imac 27" 3.2GHz GTX675MX] [CH Fighterstick] [CH ProPedal] [saitek ProThrottle] [CH Flight Yoke] [TrackIR4 Pro]

So you need a machine which runs DCS optimally AND you have to do design work? I run adobe cs 6 on my PC just fine...

Yes, for Gaming as well as a lot of FX works. I initially planned on an iMac for the user friendliness and quality. But as for the same price or less I am getting a PC many fold powerful than the iMac I am convinced to get a PC.

I'll still keep a bit of my Photography workflow, its library, part of video editing and Coding (XCode) on the mac (macbookPro). And maybe I'll try adding a little more juice to it by adding in a SSD for some read/write speed improvement coz i have already maxed out the RAM to 8GB.

Gaming, Houdini FX, part of video editing go to the PC.

• 2 months later...

Well, after checking out every possibility I am all go for getting the 27inch 3.2GHz imac with 1GB GTX675MX (there is no BTO in my country)

PC was too tempting for the price but after contemplating all the pros and cons I have decided for the higher end 27inch iMac (the non BTO one). My reasons being I want to play few games but also want a platform to do all my Video and Graphics work and the 3.2GHz imac fits the requirements.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the 2012 iMac 27" 3.2GHz GTX 675MX (we haveno BTO option in my country, so that is the highest model)

I am all good at 1920x1080 resolution. Didn't try out the maxed out resolution of 2560x1440 as HD is more than enough for me.

Am very happy with the performance.

Regard,

Sapam