Hellfire's for the A-10?

Guest Jinker

New engines are not part of the C upgrade but are a seprate program. Also the engine upgrade is a non-funded program at this time so "new" engine are not for sure at this time.

Ahhh dang O.o

That must have hog pilots in tears.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 1 month later...
114s.jpg

I, and very much everyone here can hook up the R-37, R-77, AIM-54C and KAB-1500 or the Durandal to the A-10, so what? Why making science fiction loadouts whaen real loadouts are discussed, sure, it's fun, testing various bombs and how they behave on non-AFM planes. But what's the point in spoiling a zombie discussion by adding a pac of the a-10 with hellfires that you won't be able to guide?

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Really? I heard that what every hog pilot wanted most was a third engine ... any hog drivers around to comment?

It's not about what the pilots want it what the pilots need! The A-10s engines are some of the more reliable in the USAF and still meets the original designed specs. If you look at some of the other airframes in the USAF a % of them will be down because they have no engine to go in them...we call them "holes". The F-16/F-15 engines have to be removed for mantenance, damage, and inspections and so many are removed becasue of this the backshops can't keep up with demand. The A-10 fleet have no holes today haven't had any in over 10 years!!

So how do you justify new engine? You have to prove the aircraft must have them to complete the mission and the A-10 is not at that point. There are just to many other "project" and programs fighting for what money there is that I don't see the airforce "throwing away" the best engine in the fleet because pilots what a few more 1,000 pounds of thrust.

Ugly but well hung!

I was at Nellis AFB a couple of weeks ago and was able to sit in an A-10C for about an hour and use the Litening II pod and the new MFCDs. The stick is almost identical to the F-16. The left throttle is the same as the A-10A and the right throttle is similar to the F-15E.

The A-10C PE upgrade includes a new stick, throttle, two MFCDs that feature a Digital Stores Management System, a Tactical Awareness Display, interface with the Mavericks and the Targeting Pod. The Charlies also have a new Up Front Controller, a new Armament and HUD Control Panel, new HUD software, an updated Countermesures system, and several other improvements.

It is totally cool.

The A-10 will not carry Hellfires.

Hellfire's for the A-10 anytime soon? Mavericks are good missle's, but the hellfire's are a much better missle. When might we see a fire and forget missle. TV guided missles are very old techmology.

IR Mavericks already are fire-and-forget. Only the mmw Hellfires are fire-and-forget, not the laser guided ones.

What other reasons make you think that the Hellfire is much better than the latest Maverick?

(However, it's necessarily not true that the A10 would need a Longbow-style mmw radar to use the mmw Hellfires. The British Harrier Gr.9 will use the Brimstone missile (a development of the mmw Hellfire) and the Harrier has no radar ... the missile's own radar head does the job.)