SPO-15 "Beryoza" question

From the manual FC3 p. 54:

SPO-15 "Beryoza" Radar Warning Receiver

The RWR display indicates any threat radars illuminating ("painting") the aircraft. Information is presented as symbols representing the type and direction to the threat. Six illuminated symbols at the bottom of the display notify the pilot of the threat radar type. The system indicates both enemy and friendly radars. Detailed information on the SPO-15 RWR is provided in a separate chapter.

Where does it indicate this The system indicates both enemy and friendly radars?

You can still make the difference between an F-15/Su-27 radar and a MiG-29 radar using your SPO-15 and your own radar. At the same range, F-15/Su-27 radar will appear closer on the SPO than the MiG-29 radar as they have a more powerful radar. Combined with mission intelligence, it might be useful sometimes. You could then separate F-15/Su-27 depending whether you get a Launch warning early (Su-27/R-27) or no launch warning (F-15/AIM-120). It will not be true every single time but it is still a good educated guess.

• Like 1

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

This is interesting.

I want to make some assumptions:

1.- A RWR can detect radar emissions in a range of frequencies.

2.- Also a RWR can tell the difference between different types of radar emissions like search mode-tracking mode-launch mode.

3.- Also a RWR can tell the difference between specific types of radars, like specific aircraft, SAM system, Ship. ( ELINT work in peace time recording electronic emissions )

So, you can adjust the RWR to detect a list of radars ( enemy radars ) as priority detection targets and pass friendly types, or at least set a list of priority radar emissions to be showed in the RWR screen and others to be left at the end of this list.

So, no IFF but, with software and hardware adjustment it´s possible to have a RWR with only enemy or unknown emissions as potential hostile radars.

Someone with enough knowledge about RWR could tell me if this is a correct approach?

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

This is interesting.

I want to make some assumptions:

1.- A RWR can detect radar emissions in a range of frequencies.

2.- Also a RWR can tell the difference between different types of radar emissions like search mode-tracking mode-launch mode.

3.- Also a RWR can tell the difference between specific types of radars, like specific aircraft, SAM system, Ship. ( ELINT work in peace time recording electronic emissions )

So, you can adjust the RWR to detect a list of radars ( enemy radars ) as priority detection targets and pass friendly types, or at least set a list of priority radar emissions to be showed in the RWR screen and others to be left at the end of this list.

So, no IFF but, with software and hardware adjustment it´s possible to have a RWR with only enemy or unknown emissions as potential hostile radars.

Someone with enough knowledge about RWR could tell me if this is a correct approach?

This may only work if a technology is unique only to your country, like S400 but then again, a pilot should be aware of that :) And to maintain such information up-to-date, is quite hard.

SPO15 has no sophisticated software background like western types, but in theory I guess ou are right. Also, think with a pilots head. In an already complicated EW environment, what would you like? 1. To learn difficult method of RWR selection and match it with your SituationAwareness every time you look at the RWR, or 2. don't filter anything and you rely on your own navigation and intel you just had before takeoff?

Ideal would be both, but that only applies to cutting edge EW systems on 4+ gen. aircrafts

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

Very interesting.

Could you tell me more how modern RWR works now? They have something like IFF ?

For me one of the most important things to know is if a RWR detect and show friendly radar emissions or if it´s possible to filter all friendly ( memorized or adjusted previously), emissions and only be focused on " not recognized ones".

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

No, RWR are not able to tell you if emissions are friendly or hostile.

By analyzing the radar emissions (I guess frequency, wave length, power), it is simply able to tell you what kind of radar is around (plus a relative position based on power)