My Akers-Barnes Build...

Juicehead

Finally decided to take this sim stuff a bit more seriously. Found the Akers-Barnes plans online and decided to have a go at it. Luckily, I have access to many CNC stuff. Just so happens we have a CNC router as well. Took me longet to load that sheets of plywood.

The only drawback to finishing the edges with a .375" bit is that I now have a ton of edges to square off. More pics to come...

36"x48" sheets cut

YDlW5CB.jpg

Loaded on the CNC

09bWDfY.jpg

Cutting

UHRfyBS.jpg

Cut

fwhNleE.jpg

Cool, Great Start:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I think this was the first cockpit I built that wasnt based around a desk, quite a few years ago now and before I had all my CNC gear. It was good, I think I used foam padding for the seat but all in all it was comfy enough.

Probably too late now but doesnt the software you use have some sort of fillet like 'dogbone' or t-boneor similar? I use it for this type of stuff so I dont have to chisel out the inside coreners to make them square, the cnc takes care of it by notching the inside corner so a sqaure piece will fit.

Looking good so far. What gear do you have....HOTAS, monitor...etc...?

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Looking good so far. What gear do you have....HOTAS, monitor...etc...?

I actually ended up building this because my new TM Warthog didn't fit on my desk.

I have a 23.5" monitor, TM Warthog, TrackIR, and Saitek Cessna pro pedals...

I am a bit worried that the monitor will be too far away. I think I will deal with it till the Oculus VR is released.

I actually ended up building this because my new TM Warthog didn't fit on my desk.

Hmm this doesn't fit, should I get a bigger desk, heck no, lets build a cockpit. :D

Any excuse will do hehe, look forward to seeing the end result.

:thumbup:

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

I so wish I had a CNC n the garage :) My AkersBarnes hides of shame next to this :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

I have a 23.5" monitor, TM Warthog, TrackIR, and Saitek Cessna pro pedals...

I am a bit worried that the monitor will be too far away. I think I will deal with it till the Oculus VR is released.

Won't know how the monitor does until out try it out. I have a 26 inch monitor and it sits about 3 feet away from me. It works really well, but may be upgrading to a 36+ inch TV when I get back home. My pit is looking like it's gonna be in my bedroom and the wife wants a TV in there.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Won't know how the monitor does until out try it out. I have a 26 inch monitor and it sits about 3 feet away from me. It works really well, but may be upgrading to a 36+ inch TV when I get back home. My pit is looking like it's gonna be in my bedroom and the wife wants a TV in there.

If you pull that off, a new 36” TV for your pit and have your pit in the bedroom, I will call you DA MAN. It’s taking me 8 months to convince my wife to put my pit in OUR OFFICE in place of a treadmill that hasn’t been used in 2 years lol. I got her a Gym membership so that she has twenty different treadmills to choose from, all most a different one each day of the month :D.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Smarter

Showtime, I see you are getting smarter with bribing of the women folk when it comes to your sim pits. Keep up the good work. Juicehead, I know how you feel about Jedi's version of the AB pit. I have a 32" on my desk about two feet away and no real problem. After the super bowl, will hit Sams/Wal*mart for one of there open box flat screens which are usually a great deal. We picked up a 45" Vizio just after the holidays for less then half price for one of my daughters. I saw when they took it out of the box a week before as a demo model and it had been put up out of reach of most people so was in really great shape.

Lumper

-------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough, the smart cutout.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you pull that off, a new 36” TV for your pit and have your pit in the bedroom, I will call you DA MAN. It’s taking me 8 months to convince my wife to put my pit in OUR OFFICE in place of a treadmill that hasn’t been used in 2 years lol. I got her a Gym membership so that she has twenty different treadmills to choose from, all most a different one each day of the month :D.

She is the one that suggested it! But, that means I can't fly late at night like I use to. Tricky women, they think they can outsmart us. I'll go along with it at first. She knows I love to fly :joystick: and we just moved into a smaller house. Our bedroom is the only place that it can really go. Unless I put it in the garage :huh:

I would go in the garage.....

Where do you live? I live in Louisiana and it's freaking hot in the summer time.....no thank you.

Make any more progress Juicehead?

Well, got all the wood sealed and ready to paint. Assembled it up yesterday. I didn't get pics yet, was too busy flying!

Just a side note, if anyone wants to buy this thing, I think I want to build the Jedi cockpit as it has the center stick... I will most likely put it on the "for sale" subforum shortly.

I'm not home yet and still have about 2 months to go, but can you pm me some prices?