Nobody can connect to my server

Depth08

Hello guys,

I am having the following problem, whenever I host a server and see somebody connect I see the next thing show up:

XXXXX connected uid="xxxxxx-xxxx"

XXXXX entered the game

Small pause

SPECTATOR XXXXX left the game

I remember a few years ago I was able to solve the problem but don't exactly remember how. Back then I used DMZ but now I'm correctly portforwarding 10308 since they can actually see my server & try connect to it.

I read somewhere the latest version of DCS WORLD was unstable in multiplayer, so I downgraded to a version 1.2.2.7286. Server browser also popped up some servers so that version was still populated. Still the same thing, people connecting and then disconnecting systematically!

I have disabled my firewall and I'm pretty sure even if it was set, I set all rules and exception to let 10308 for all DCS applications through... I'm out of idea's.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Sounds like people might be timing out during the mission load. Mission load times for some reason got a bit longer with 1.2.2 overall (partly because of embedded miz files) and as a result the "load_timeout" results in people being disco'd.

Check in I believe it's the saved games / dcs / network config.lua (or thereabouts) and either set those load_timeout and (can't remember the other off hand) to longer (90 seconds instead of 60) or just disable them altogether (that's what I've done and resolved many, many issues.)

Worth a look anyway.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Thanks for the reply, can't really find the load_timeout in the directory you specified sadly enough :(.

I do remember it had either something to do with my firewall or DMZ settings. Don't think it was a version issue. Last time I solved it, it didn't really involve changing settings such as the ones you summed up :s I'm puzzled.

Anybody out there who can help?

no it's not in the directory- it's in the .lua file associated with the network configuration. I'll see if I can go find it (at work now... don't remember it exactly).

Edit: Found it.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=97861&page=2

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Thanks for searching that ENO, but still no luck for me :(

Tried that and still have my clients systematically disconnect as SPECTATOR about 7 seconds after they "entered the game". I re-created a basic tanker mission, I even reset my whole router. That together with the better version still leaves me with no luck!

The port is definitely forwarded correctly... But i'm thinking maybe it's broadcasting, but not allowing signals from outside in? I don't know I'm not your average networker. I tried DMZ but that did not give me anything new :(

Small update:

Had some players on my server today. I hosted a mission without tankers, and people joined. 1 guy remained and eventually it occured to me to try and at least switch to a mission with a tanker. To my great success it worked! I was in multiplayer with another person and a tanker to hook up to. (He eventually ended up destroying it but that don't matter!)

There were some people joining in progress (a lot of them) but they all failed to connect with that mission on. Switching mission doesn't seem a problem. I'm puzzled!

Oh... well that's your problem:

TANKERS!

I tried to enter the Bactria mission in the Firehouse multiple times yesterday but got the DCS has stopped working each time. I was able to enter Rampant Bear with no problem each and every time. So what is different about Bactria, all else at my end being equal? Are there tankers in that mission?

So you are saying:

Not using tankers should have people being able to join.

Having tankers -> Open port 10309 as well? Or just a NO-GO?

Just open both ports, try letting someone join.

works? -> port was the reason

doesn't work? -> port was not the reason

if port was not the reason -> load a mission without tanker.

works? -> tanker was the reason

doesn't work? -> wait for patch

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Ok, here's the deal guys:

Opened 10308 & 10309 TCP/UDP - Nope

Opened 27015 & 27016 TCP/UDP - Nope

No tankers in mission:

Both port series work, which just proves: Doesn't matter which ports you use. People just crash when they try to connect. Had one guy connect twice after eachother, so that one in specific might have not had dcs stopped working, just another error.

Now that I did have people joining the idea crossed my mind to change to a tanker mission. So it seems the only way nowadays to host a tankers-server is to switch to the mission rather than having JIP's. Had people in my mission hooking up to tankers so yeah.

Going to host like this: Make a warmup mission, gather people, inform them about the bug in the briefing, and after we have a good amount, we switch over :p I'll gladly wait for another update.

Do the evil tankers switch to port 10309 when 10308 is set?? Jobe must be in DCS..

Believe it or not, I don't care, but opening port range from 10308 to 10309 rather than only 10308 solved the problem for me. I got that hint from another server admin, so can't be too unrealistic.

As far as I know AWACS is an issue too, not only tankers. And of course no one knows if mods are used here, can cause issues too.

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

I tried to enter the Bactria mission in the Firehouse multiple times yesterday but got the DCS has stopped working each time. I was able to enter Rampant Bear with no problem each and every time. So what is different about Bactria, all else at my end being equal? Are there tankers in that mission?

Blooze I found out last night that the version I kept in the folder was my 1.2.2 updated version but not the one where I took the tankers out. I posted the wrong one.

I've since switched them out so when I post it it will be the non tanker version.

"ENO"

Depth -

Also look at the Pings that your server is showing in the MP Lobby, and the Pings that the Clients are showing in your mission - use the Pool button. Are the Pings higher than 200?

I've flown on servers with Pings close to 300... Not ideal - under 200 is good.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

When my router also needs to open 10309 too when 10308 is set to be the almighty number then i'd wonder if theres not something wrong with the routers firmware or hardware in particular. Have you concidered trying another device just for the hell of it or check if theres a firmware update available? Do you use more routers/switches and computers in your intranet where internal IP's mix up? If theres more than one machine in your intranet, do they get static IP's from the router or is it set automaticly so the first computer that connects also gets the first IP in line? MAC adress/IP coupling with static handed over IP's prevents things mixing up.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Pings are fine! There's alot going on inside routers, so opening additional ports can have some positive effects you know, very strange.

Anyway the problem "NOBODY CAN JOIN MY SERVER" is already solved. The topic sorta changes to: "Nobody can join when I host a mission with tankers". And then you're allowed to say "Just wait it out, it's a known issue". Maybe I'll host a server with lobby to change over to a mission with tankers, since that trick does the job. If you are interested in Air to Air Refueling training, keep an eye on the servers forum, I'll be posting something there soon.