Understanding the MIG29 fuel guage...

I've been trying to understand how the MIG29 fuel guage and the lights beside the tape work . I've read the manual and still don't understand how it measures fuel with/without exterier tanks.

Can someone please explain.

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

i'd like to know this too - if i load an external tank do i have to request refueling?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

i'd like to know this too - if i load an external tank do i have to request refueling?

I believe the fuel in the external tanks are not represented on the tape. The lights on the left side of the tape do I believe indicate some info about the external tank fuel.

I believe the fuel in the external tanks are not represented on the tape.

Yes it is. Fuel in internal tanks is meassured via sensors in the tanks. Fuel level in external tanks is calculated based on known initial amount(manually set before take-off) vs. rate of consumption derrived from the flowmeter function.

Both the meassured(internal) and calculated(external) amount is indicated on the tape, when the T/P switch is in the "P" position.

The lights on the left side of the tape do I believe indicate some info about the external tank fuel.

For the MiG-29 (9-12) there are four lamps on the side - the top one(IIRC) indicates end of transfer from external centerline tank, the 3 other for each of internal tanks in the order they are being emptied(bottom lamp last).

For the MiG-29 (9-13) and MiG-29S(9-13S) the gauge has tape indication for an increased amount of fuel(due to the additon of wing drop tanks) and an extra lamp on the side(second from the top) indicating end of transfer from external wing tanks.

JJ

in very simple terms..

when the top light comes on u have no fuel left in the external fuel tanks. the external fuel isnt represented in the total fuel amount.

the lights below the first one are the internal tanks

u can do around 160-180km on 800kg at 75% thrust.. and have enough to screw up one or 2 landing...

make sure when the top light comes on jettison the tanks so the drag gets lower...

tip: dont burn on takeoff and keep to 85-95% trough your flight if there is no combat...

its my favorite plane to fly its light and agaile also caries to most varaity of missiles

my tipical set up

3R77

1R73

1R27ET

1R27ER

this way u will have an option for all possibility

Thank you both for your reply.

Alfa:

"Both the meassured(internal) and calculated(external) amount is indicated on the tape, when the T/P switch is in the "P" position."

Can we control the T/P switch?

Also, if the top light represents the mid drop tank and the second to top light represents the wing drop tanks being empty then shouldn't they be on immediately if no ext tanks are being carried?

here are some test proven facts...

Sitting on the apron I did the following MIG-29s re-fueling tests:

With no drop tanks [external tanks]:

fuel load tape reading:

100%=3500 w/no lights

90%=3000 w/N light

80%=2700 w/KP light added

70%=2300

60%=2000

40%=1500 w/3 light added and audible 1500 warning

20%=800 w/1 light added and audible 800 warning

10%=500 w/audible warning

Here is where it gets interesting:

From 500 [10% internal fuel] on the tape, add CL external drop tank 1500L and you will see the the tape indicator go up, I believe proportional to the volume of fuel and certainly enough to put out the 4 fuel indicator lights. You might think that the tape can read the ext. drop tank but I think what is happening here is there is an auto transfer of fuel from the added ext. drop tank to the plane's internal tanks and therefore in this way the new fuel can be read. Once the max limit is reached internally, no more can be read [3500 max] and this was proved by me adding a second ext. drop tank.

Well if the fuel from the CL ext. drop tank when loaded gets pumped into the int. tanks automatically if partially empty, would that mean there is probably little to no fuel left in the ext. drop tank because it is emptied by the transfer. I would think so in this scenario; and therefore as a further test it could be mid air dropped with no loss in fuel load.

Edited by fitness88

I did not see this when I just rearmed in a MP mission. I did not jettison the tank while I was out. I grabbed a new external tank and missiles, and the internal tanks did not fill, and the tape didn't move. Only after moving the fuel slider on the rearm window down and back up to 100%, did it finally take fuel.

I did not see this when I just rearmed in a MP mission. I did not jettison the tank while I was out. I grabbed a new external tank and missiles, and the internal tanks did not fill, and the tape didn't move. Only after moving the fuel slider on the rearm window down and back up to 100%, did it finally take fuel.

My test was done in a quick mission sitting on the apron with no engines on.

The test was done systematically starting with a full tank 100% and no ext. drop tanks.

As mentioned I did several tests reducing the fuel by 10% on the slider each test, when I finally got the fuel down to 500 on the tape, I then added CL ext. drop tank.

Try doing exactly this and watch the results.

Thank you both for your reply.

Alfa:

"Both the meassured(internal) and calculated(external) amount is indicated on the tape, when the T/P switch is in the "P" position."

Can we control the T/P switch?

Sorry fitness88 - I misunderstood the topic of your thread. I interpreted your question about understanding the MiG-29 fuelgauge and the reference to "the manual" as concerning the functionality of the gauge as described in the flight manual for the real aircraft.

There are some issues with how the fuelgauge is depicted in the sim - it looks like it migt be under revision for FC3 and I thought your question was in extension to previous discussions on this.

No you cannot control the T/P switch in the sim and IMO there is really no reason for this - it could just be set to the position to show total amount(int + ext.) of fuel. But then we are talking about possible changes and not about how it currently works.

Also, if the top light represents the mid drop tank and the second to top light represents the wing drop tanks being empty then shouldn't they be on immediately if no ext tanks are being carried?

No because they indicate "end of transfer" - if no external fuel tanks are carried there is no transfer to begin with :) .

Anyway, for a more in-dept description of the MiG-29 fuel indication(wingtank modified) you can check this post by IvanK:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1330322&postcount=45

JJ

Thanks for the update Alfa. I've read the post by IvanK however I've done some of my own tests which more closely resemble the workings of the actual sim, see my post below.

you wrote: "No because they indicate "end of transfer" - if no external fuel tanks are carried there is no transfer to begin with smile.gif ."

In the sim the fuel lights go on only for internal fuel level indications [probably showing lights as internal fuel tanks empty], not for external drop tanks.

Edited by fitness88

Thanks for the update Alfa. I've read the post by IvanK however I've done some of my own tests which more closely resemble the workings of the actual sim, see my post below.

Yes I realise now that you were asking how to understand the fuelgauge functionality as it is currently in the sim.

In the sim the fuel lights go on only for internal fuel level indications [probably showing lights as internal fuel tanks empty], not for external drop tanks.

No but like I said there are issues with the fuelgauge in the sim, which hopefully will be addressed. Since the MiG-29(and MiG-29S) in the sim has the ability to carry wing droptanks, the fuelgauge functionality/indication ought to be implemented according to the excerts from the Luftwaffe MiG-29G flight manual in IvanK's post :) .

Better yet IMHO would be to diversify it for the MiG-29 and MiG-29S, so that the MiG-29 be depicted in its original form with the old fuelgauge/centerline external tank only and the MiG-29S with the new fuelgauge and added wingtanks, which this variant has from the outset.

JJ

Mind you to re-read this thread.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53797

Thanks and I agree great info, I'm sure in the real world that is how it works...not in this sim. Try the test exactly as I did it and you will see how it works in the sim.

If you want to know exactly what fuel you are starting the mission with you need to first empty the internal fuel to 0% on the slider and disarm any ext tanks. Then when you put fuel back in it will be an accurate reading.

Here is an example of sim preloaded fuel:

I ran a "create fast mission" MIG29s starting from the apron. Default loading is 1 CL ext tank and fuel slider is at 100%. Cockpit tape reads 2700kg, top 2 lights are on. This would be correct if the fuel slider wasn't at 100% because 100%=3500kg on the tape not 2700kg.

Also try LOVP its a digital guage that gives total fuel int and ext while flying.

Posted by IvanK:

The MIG29 Fuel system Indications in FC2 are bugged. The Fuel gauges now only ever show 3500Kgs of fuel even when carrying external tanks. The correct Fuel is there ok but just not being indicated correctly.

The gauge sits at 3500 until external transfer is complete, then the gauges start dropping.

In FC1.12 the MIG29 fuel system worked just fine as it should and external fuel transfer could be monitored as shown in the jpg below.

Mig29fuel.jpg

Please fix this bug .

They are still bugged in FC3, thank you.

Edited by fitness88