OT: it's that time of the month, again...

leafer

Time to think about an upgrading path for myself.

I have:

Mobo: 3rd world CRAP I can't even pronounce

CPU: Intel Celeron 2.0 watts (seems like watts than GHz)

Memory: 512MB of dirt cheap generic brand

Graphic: Lemel GF fx 5200

Sound: On board AC'97 Codec

Moooodem: PCI SoftV92

Y'all sympathize with me here? You hear the slow leak coming from my puter? I can't use word without it stuttering when I type to damn fast. Let's me put it to you this way...My crappy shitniz sucks negative G!

So, what on earth should I upgrade first that will give this pile of hazmat some performance boost so I can play FC with my brand new CH HOTAS? I don't have it yet, but I will in about a month.

Thanks

El heap of el cheapo

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

So, what on earth should I upgrade first that will give this pile of hazmat some performance boost so I can play FC with my brand new CH HOTAS? I don't have it yet, but I will in about a month.

Check out http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/index.php

For example november high end gaming pc buyer guide.

If you can't afford that, then check out value gaming pc guide.

So, what on earth should I upgrade first that will give this pile of hazmat some performance boost so I can play FC with my brand new CH HOTAS?

IMO all of it...and dont forget u need a good PSU..ur backbaone of ur pc ;)

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)

Ahhh...the old sharkyextreme trick! Thanks. :D

Been out of the hard ware loop for a long time! Has the nForce chipset improved? Last time I read up on the technology was two years ago and I remember reading that they're troublesome.

Christmas is a very bad time for getting a PC better wait a month...at least. best time is around February/March.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

You should not upgrade but get a completely new system, if you can afford it.

Oh, and don't ever buy a "brand" computer!

That's exactly it ... you'll never be able to upgrade what you have right now to adequate levels ... get a new one!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You should not upgrade but get a completely new system, if you can afford it.

Oh, and don't ever buy a "brand" computer!

I'll jump on that bandwagon. IMO, Yellonet is absolutely correct.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Oh lordy, that thing is...

If you must pick one component- my knee jerk thought is the card just because I've seen people run LOMAC w/ a 2.0. Whereas the 5200 owners have been almost without exception unplayable. I think Gaze (?) is the only one Ive ever seen play a 5200 with any success at all. But I don't know all the specifics of the CELER-Y type CPU's beyond their "price leader" status. They might be a LOT worse than the Pentiums..

You need a new rigg, bro. Drool here.

No, I cannot afford a new rig because that will cost at least a 1000 usd. And 1000 usd is roughly 40,000 Thai bath; that's 4 months of slaving for the company. :D

So I'm not really upgrading but rather replacing part(s) as I can afford to. Hence the reason why I asked which part would give me the best performance boost. I guess I'll replace the 5200 with 6600. Or should I get the radeon 800?

A stronger cpu is first on the list. But make sure your mobo and ram will not hold it back. Gigabyte (and maybe other manufacturers) are in Taiwan. Can you get a Gigabyte mobo cheap there?

nForce works fine.

No Gigabyte; haven't seen it anywhere. Haven't seen either Abit nor Epox as well. We've got Asus, Lemel and some generic stuff. Same with memory. We've Kingston and some generic stuff. Havn't seen Corsair, OCZ or any of the high-end brands.

And nothing is cheap here if you want top-end brand. In fact, hardware is less expensive in the States and you have tons of brands to chose from.

Now if ya want software... lol

I know what you mean about an entire new rig being expensive, but IMHO upgrading anything on that rig would be a waste of money in the long run.

Chances are you won't be able to upgrade the CPU without replacing the mobo. And even if you could the speed of the FSB on the mobo you've got will drag performance back to a crawl.

Putting a new GFX card in there might buy a slight improvement in some games, but with the CPU load in LOMAC you'll still not get anything like full value out of it.

Even replacing the RAM would be a waste since the chances are the RAM compatible with that mobo would be a bottleneck in a new rig.

If I were you I'd start saving money and bite the bullet for the moment. Use the time to start shopping around for the best component prices you can find.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

one step at a time, get the asrock dual agp/pci-e mobo, and a socket 939 amd cpu, anything above 3200, and use the video card you have now, then when you have more money, simply throw the card away and buy a pci-e version, which will fit into that mobo, it will help you upgrade, and make it so that it is still upgradeable in the future.

ASUS asrock dual mobo and amd64 939 3200+ or higher, then when you have more money, get a better video card.

People seem to forget that, when upgradeing mobos, they always go for pci-e nowadays, when there is a MAGIC double solution, that has all the newest features on it and yet still allows for the highend agp video cards to die gracefully, instead of being thrown out or dissused for pci-e versions.

I will say it again, anyone with good agp card, and are wanting to upgrade to newer board but dont have the cash for a new vid card aswell, get the ASROCK Dual agp/pci-e board.

cheap and a really good performer.

perfect solution, and it will be max of 3-400$ for the board and cpu, probably more like $300

As for your celeron 2.0 jiggawatts abomination, basically, the celerons are broken pentium4's from the fab process, would you buy broken anything that had its name changed to hide the fact that it is a broken evil creation and a poor performer ? that is the first thing that you shall burn when you eventually upgrade.

Dang. I was hoping upgrading the vid card would liven things up a bit. Hmm...I guess I'll start saving up for a completely new system. Buggar!

I didn't know that Celeron chips are rejects from manufacturer. No wonder! I can't even play Silent Storm (a 3D turn-based game!) OUCH!

Feck! To think I spent 4000 + Thai bath for the fecking abysmal GF fx5200...

:(

Or movies on DVD while they're still playing in theatres...lol. :cool:

Well, teh...you're almost right. ;)

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and all the pirated DVDs in this country are out before the movies hit theatres, in the U.S.! The picture and sound are of excellent quality, too. hehe

Guest IguanaKing
Well, teh...you're almost right. ;)

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and all the pirated DVDs in this country are out before the movies hit theatres, in the U.S.! The picture and sound are of excellent quality, too. hehe

Heh...I guess you're right. But its usually a month or two before those DVDs get back here, to the states. My brother was stationed on Okinawa, so he visited Thailand fairly regularly. He brought back a DVD of Spiderman when he came home on leave...it had just been released in the movie theatres here a week before that.

:D

I wonder how they managed that! Must be someone from inside the studios that copied the masters and sell them to us.

Anyway, next time your brother's here let him know that if he wants to buy pc games, the retail titles (non-pirated versions) are extremely cheap here. A lot cheaper than you can buy anywhere in the U.S.

I bought The SIms for 15 USD. Silent Storm was even cheaper! Richard Burns Rallay for 10 USD. Again, they're original and brand new!

Anyway, gotta go to work.

:D

Guest IguanaKing

Oh, he's got more than a few of those already. Mostly PS2 games though, since that's what he had on Okinawa...no PC of his own there. ;)

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

you can get all the movies you want weeks and months before they come out in the theatres, but the quality is usually poor, and they have dots and numbers at the sides of the screen, like they havent quite decided which music goes where and what cut is going in here etc etc. basically a work in progress film.

usually a waste of time downloading them but they are normally of ok quality. just a normal dvd screener. suprnova used to be cool for that crap, but alas it gots shutz0red down.