Can you be an Infantry unit and walk around?

robmuzz

I saw a video (of the P51 I think) where they started on-foot (looking down at their feet) and went up to the aircraft.

I am new to DCS World, so...

My question is.

Can you get out? Or control infrantry in the Combined Arms?

If I make a mission in the Editor with a P51 and an Infantry unit, can I switch to the ground unit?

Thanks,

Rob.

• Like 1

Oh ok, thanks for the quick reply.

So... what about a Chinook, or Tornado or something, although I wouldn't expect a cockpit or anything, can I control other stuff in a mission I made, or is it just a few tanks and the default planes?

Has there been talk of a control of infantry / vehicle's and assorted ground equipment in a Combined Arms environment, where a dedicated ground squad could conduct ops on a regular basis in first person?

I know that is almost a whole other world, a complete new set of everything - but it would be interesting to have a Ground - Air and Sea elements controlled by real players.

Another WW2 themed game tried this and changed game dynamics and only allowed ground players in a small section of the map at any one time and it destroyed any possibility of good ground combat or freedom of movement.

You can control the ground units (most anyway). Others you order around like a realtime strategy game. You can also order around air units but you dont directly control them normally.

Or you could directly control an air unit like the SU-25t and enable 'pilots control ground units' to order them around.

Combined arms simple mission:

I have another mission where I fly the black shark and use the map to move ground units somewhere...

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I've been playing with the editor for a couple of days now, and have found how to put units on the map, but apart from when I get the "player" skill level option, I don't understand how you control other units ?

I did manage to put an UK - IFV and control that once, but I can't seem to be able to do it again. every time I go to F10 and click on a unit to take control, it tells me I can't !

How did I do it the first time ?

TiA

you should click on the button with the two flags in the editor and distribute the ground roles for the two coalitions. For example, you can put a platoon of four Challenger tanks on the map. Then click the "flags" button and set the "ground commander" option for the blue (or red, if UK is on the red side) coalition to 1. Then click "try mission". When the sim finishes loading up, you will be asked which role you want to take in-game. You choose the commander you set in the editor and get to f10 view. Once there, click on the vehicle you want to control, then click on the button with the tank icon (upper left). If your vehicle gets destroed, or if you want to change, you can get to f10 view again and repeat the above. There are limitations however, as of now, you can't control infantry units (individual soldiers), and some air defence vehicles

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

If there is a possibility to walk around (after ejection), I wonder why there is no infantry JTAC ?

Just add a binocular view (+ laser and etc..) and it would be so much fun !!!

Even though you cannot control infantry units from first person view, it would add so much to the game play if there was the binocular view!

Edited by Skitter
  • Like 1

It seems to me that DCS is creating a world where dedicated infantry play will be possible one day, that day could be years off, but that day will arrive at some point, I believe.

Our group is a dedicated air squad and prefers the "High Fidelity" flight Sims that DCS is producing, an equally detailed ground element would open the game up by leaps and bounds.

Then it will be true combined arms.

Unless your a navy guy, then you will need player controlled ships also.

• Like 1

To be honest, I only hope for better models and animations for infantry, and to include a paratrooper model (where you have infantry troops under a parachute canopy) for the mission editor. The biggest thing that they need to do is to make the non-playable aircraft do a lot more in the simulation.

Why have a C-17 and helicopters with no ability to transport troops and equipment? It would just make the sim more realistic and will greatly enhance missions. I shake my head at times when I make missions because I feel very limited given the lack of use of AI aircraft that could make my missions more dynamic.

I know the devs may be busy with other stuff, but I honestly feel that dedicating to making the AI aircraft have more ability with respect to actually transporting troops by parachute, landing them at DZ's, or dropping equipment, would be a great addition to the sim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
To be honest, I only hope for better models and animations for infantry, and to include a paratrooper model (where you have infantry troops under a parachute canopy) for the mission editor. The biggest thing that they need to do is to make the non-playable aircraft do a lot more in the simulation.

Why have a C-17 and helicopters with no ability to transport troops and equipment? It would just make the sim more realistic and will greatly enhance missions. I shake my head at times when I make missions because I feel very limited given the lack of use of AI aircraft that could make my missions more dynamic.

I know the devs may be busy with other stuff, but I honestly feel that dedicating to making the AI aircraft have more ability with respect to actually transporting troops by parachute, landing them at DZ's, or dropping equipment, would be a great addition to the sim.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAN that would be awesome doing air assault missions with the Huey...dropping of squads or FO's....doing S&R missions over a multiplayer server...awesome! Reminds me of my days crewing chinooks!

• Like 1

Branch Sustainability and Integration Officer

Militarygamers.com

A community for current and former US Service Members. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. I want to play out my own Red Dawn. :music_whistling:

With the exception of paratroopers, you can do these things in the mission editor in a sense. With triggers tied to specific AI behavior, you could simulate troop deployment, or equipment delivery. While there is no capacity these thing actually apart of the plane in sense you may be looking for, you can still end up with the same result.

• 6 months later...

CA Infantry

I've found that while I cannot posses the infantry I can give orders to groups of infantry using Combined Arms. Worked fine with using USA M4 soldiers but found I could not give orders to Russian infantry.. Strange..

Su-27 Flanker 1995 Super EF2000 1997 Jane's F/A-18 1999

Yeah, its kind of like Arma 2's High Command, but DCS really need to put more effort into the "Ground" part of their world. One modder in Arma 3 is now doing a pretty good job of copying the A-10C from DCS with complete cockpit and startup procedure. I don't know if he'll be able to get a decent FM into it, but we'll see. DCS has great fllight simulation, but their "world" pretty much ends there.

• Like 1

Actually the ground in Arma 2 will probably look similiar to EDGE. Actually, Arma 2 will probably still look better, at least from what I've seen of the DCS photo's. They remind me of Unreal Tournament 1 graphics. Of course, DCS is a much larger world. Would be nice to see some third party programmers come in and start making infantry and vehicle modules.

• Like 1

Lol, yeah, the Arma engine is still pretty bad. You need a MONSTER computer to run it because its still CPU dependent and runs on one thread. They need to move to Outerra Engine or such.

Here's the link to the Arma 3: A-10C discussion if anyone wants it. This guy looks like he's trying to make a DCS style A-10C for Arma. I hear there's also an AH-64D with a clickable cockpit, but I haven't seen it yet. I think he's kind of struggling with getting in the CCIP / CCRP / Maverick functions, but looks like he's got some like the SPI and TADS already in! Plans on finishing Alpha by middle of this month!

If anyone knows good Arma coding, I'm sure he would appreciate the help.

I know a lot of people are just going to blow over the link thinking "yeah, right", but seriously, take a look at the pics on the first post. Their pretty dam nice!

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169460-A-10C-for-Arma-3/page1

Edited by Dr. Yes

Arma 2 has horrible "ground" for a flight sim.

ArmA series has horrible ground for infantry warfare anyway. whoever that already crawled in a wood will tell you about it. It's a great game overall, I still play it a lot, but infantry fighting sucks - the map miss "infantry scale relief", ie ditchs, rocks, foxholes, trenches and a lot of things i just don't know the exact word in english, but can provide cover to someone......

And before hanging me on a tree, i can assure i surely played more OFP/arma series than nearly anyone else here. (10hours average on a day every day, when i had computer addiction disease). I love that game - yet on a pure simulation stand point - the games lacks barely everything and is only suitable for basic WW2 fighting.

So.... I don't think infantry fighting make sense in DCS, at individual level. I would prefer infantry to be simulated at platoon/squad. One squad is one entity in the engine, like in Combat mission and some other wargames. It would ease the pain for both mission editor and hardware, and look even better from the air.

EDIT : yet, it would be nice to be able to be a pilot and enter aircraft and vehicle. I would love to start from the control tower, and then drive an UAZ to my Ka-50. :)

Edited by Darkwolf

I agree with you on the missing stuff about ditches, rocks, trenches on all the maps except one - I think its Chernarus. In the module "They came from Above" (which I think takes place in Chernarus ), its a really interesting romp. I can remember hiding in old creek beds and ditches. There's little roads and old houses stuck back in the woods. At one point, I came across an old boat house with a dock and cattails on the edges of the lake. Its just that most people go to the big villages and such, but if you explore around in the less "known" areas, there's interesting things about. Whoever made that map really put his soul into it. I remember one of the devs actually grumbling that "way too much time" was wasted putting that map together and that's not going to happen again. I thinks its a really great map that's pretty realistic. There's a lot of detail in it, like chairs sitting outside on the side of the house, where two people were probably sitting and talking at one point. Now that's "life like". The animals like cows wandering around and reacting to your presence is pretty neat as well. Chernarus is really the Jewel of Arma 2.

But yeah, most of the other maps are just your usual Arma stuff. Thirsk is a little interesting as well.

What would be great, is if we could get the detail up to the level of Arma 2 and Chernarus in DCS. I'm really interested in seeing the new EDGE tech in DCS with a good terrain editor. Some of the Arma 2 players ( a lot of whom have publicly rejected Arma 3 as a bad joke ) would definitely be interested in coming over to get real flight simulation added to their FPS play.

As for Arma 3, its nothing but a barren wasteland on both Altis and Stratis. 3 or 4 of the same old houses just stacked together. Can't stand it. It's like they didn't even try. They didn't even bother putting furniture in the houses.

Edited by Dr. Yes

Chernarus scenery is nice, indeed.

I still wonder why people do want infantry to be playable. On a gameplay point of view, it would be even less than delta force games.

Delta-Force_2.jpg

Flat land, without any cover (tree don't stop LOS or projectiles) and ground relief like 100m resolution.

AI shoot you from miles away while you can't do no shit with your M4 / AK74 rifle. :doh: