Can not read gauges with active NVG

Nopileus

I am not sure if this is a bug or if you even have the means of changing this, but i will report it anyway.

Flying the night mission in the campaign i have found that it is impossible to read most of the cockpit gauges while using night vision goggles.

Both lit and unlit gauges appear very dark, almost pitch black.

This happens with both standard and modded NVGs,

and does not happen in both Ka-50 and A-10C.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83226&d=1370536627

Edited by Nopileus

This is how it looks by the way, same effect with unmodded NVGs.

I just don't understand why they seem completely dark and not blindingly bright.

Note the non-working lights on some gauges, this is a known bug AFAIK.

Screen_130606_183403.thumb.jpg.3422235b9ffedb271fdaef873d631220.jpg

Except for compass, non of the gauges are really illuminated so they appear as black holes under NVGs in current build. To work around that with our current build we have to fly with the white dome light on. Still quite far from the real thing

080319-F-7338M-047%20MC%20using%20NVG.jpg

Wonder when newer build will be released, as instrument illumination was shows even before the pre-release.

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

Instruments should be unreadable through the NVGs if focused correctly. That's why they aren't supposed to be right up against your face, so you can look under them to see the instruments.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Pimax Crystal

VP Force Rhino w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus AH-64 Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v2

This is what I am getting with NO dome light (instruments/console are illuminated)...seems to be the most realistic solution for the time being.

Screen_130607_134526.jpg

Screen_130607_134536.jpg

Screen_130607_134559.jpg

Here is with the white dome light on, works too...but just doesn't satisfy my realism needs. I also fine tune the NVG contrast with a switch on my HOTAS.

Screen_130607_134629.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Todd, that last pic actually isnt that unrealistic. Adjusting contrast on your goggles IS!

no kidding? I don't know about the aviation-grade ones, but our ground-pounder monoculars could adjust gain and brightness. well dang, guess, i'll have to quit with that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The aviation goggles (talking about AN/PVS-6 and AN/PVS-9)are meant to be hands-off devices, so the brightness gain is adjusted automatically. There is no such functionality in DCS, so we have to do it manually. On the other hand, we can't adjust focus in the sim, and this can be adjusted on the real devices... not that there is any need currently in the game, as we can see everything clearly.

Here's AN/PVS-9 with a distant storm, you can see the flash protection somewhat working, that's actually a function that is developed constantly because of the high inertia of the system - still can't respond and drop the voltage quickly enough, maybe this will be fixed with superconductive currently being developed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmaaMFH3eAw

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

There wouldn't be a reason to adjust focus in DCS, because that's not what you'd do irl either.

Actually, you do adjust focus IRL when you first put them on. You just wouldn't adjust focus after that unless it was not done correctly in the first place. The above pictures with the dome light off where the instruments are easy to read are completely unrealistic. The dome light on pic is much more representative of what it looks IRL. I have about 600 NVG hours in helos, so I'm speaking from experience, not just trying to say harder is more realistic.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Pimax Crystal

VP Force Rhino w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus AH-64 Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v2

I think we can conclude that the reason for this is improper instrument lighting.

The current way may look good, but is by no means functional.

I hope Belsimtek reads this and improves on it accordingly.

What do you mean by not functional?

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Pimax Crystal

I guess I need to go back and mess with it (moving, and just had to pack up my SIM computer). Yeah, gauges need to be visible when looking underneath the goggles, but unreadable through the goggles.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Pimax Crystal

Actually, you do adjust focus IRL when you first put them on. You just wouldn't adjust focus after that unless it was not done correctly in the first place. The above pictures with the dome light off where the instruments are easy to read are completely unrealistic. The dome light on pic is much more representative of what it looks IRL. I have about 600 NVG hours in helos, so I'm speaking from experience, not just trying to say harder is more realistic.

I know, but you focus your goggles before you get in the aircraft usually, that's why I said it's useless in DCS, also, the focus should be set for infinity, so there's no reason to change that in DCS.

I know what it looks like IRL :) I have around 300 NVG hours, if I'm to take a wild guess.