Clouds vs Performance

IonicRipper

It seems the clouds are the biggest hit to performance for me. The same mission with cloudy skies will run at lower frames and it only gets worst as i get near them. Is there a way to reduce their performance impact? Lower resolution perhaps?

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It seems the clouds are the biggest hit to performance for me. The same mission with cloudy skies will run at lower frames and it only gets worst as i get near them. Is there a way to reduce their performance impact? Lower resolution perhaps?

Clouds don't effect me if there is only 1 or 2 systems of clouds. If you run more then 4 of course it will slow this sim down to a crawl. The developers are slaving this engine to the CPU. It does not use CUDA physics to render cloud behavior. Then it should use the GPU to render many of the special effects.

Dell XPS 8500 Modified

700 Watt PSU

Windows 8 Pro MCE

Intel I7 3770 3.8 GHZ TR (stock)

16GB DDR 3 PC12800

Gigabyte 760 OC 2.0GB

2x 2TB HD

Clouds don't effect me if there is only 1 or 2 systems of clouds. If you run more then 4 of course it will slow this sim down to a crawl. The developers are slaving this engine to the CPU. It does not use CUDA physics to render cloud behavior. Then it should use the GPU to render many of the special effects.

Stop this BS already. PhysX is supporting Nvidia GPUs only. On AMD hardware CPU would be used anyway, CPUs also can't make use of all benefits it gives. OpenCL would be much better because it's not platform related. AMD users are suffering enough pain in DCS already.

Stop this BS already. PhysX is supporting Nvidia GPUs only. On AMD hardware CPU would be used anyway, CPUs also can't make use of all benefits it gives. OpenCL would be much better because it's not platform related. AMD users are suffering enough pain in DCS already.

Take your prozac... Christ almighty.

Dell XPS 8500 Modified

700 Watt PSU

Windows 8 Pro MCE

Intel I7 3770 3.8 GHZ TR (stock)

16GB DDR 3 PC12800

Gigabyte 760 OC 2.0GB

2x 2TB HD

IconicRipper, fastforward abit this AI test mission until you get into the cloudlayer. Make sure you have Vsync off and maxfps= 120. What happens with fps and what avg value do you get? What values to you get if you fly the mission yourself same route?

clouds.miz

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Im sorry, I completely forgot about this thread.

xracer: There is not much FPS drop in the clouds after all.

Maybe the problem was with precipitation then...

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]