FC3 weapon fire/release on A-10/F-15

Hello.

So, I'm having problem with these two FC3 aircraft (A-10A, F-15C). In all other aircraft including free Toad, there is one button for releasing weapons and firing the gun, which is activated after selecting respective mode. With A-10A and F-15C however, gun is always "hot" and fires upon pressing my fire joystick button, no matter in which mode I am. Other weapons has to be fired with keyboard and that is annoying.

Real problem is, I can't change it because Weapon Release joystick column is blank:

-img deleted-

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this? And could be this classified as bug? Because I can't find any reason, why those two particular aircraft have separate buttons for fire/release and gun always ready, while other aircraft require change to gun mode.

Thanks.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

Ok, so I partially resolved this issue.

I opened lua file located in \Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\a-10a\joystick and added this entry:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN1", reformers = {"LCtrl", }}, }, down = iCommandPlanePickleOn, up = iCommandPlanePickleOff, name = "Weapon Release", category = "Weapons"},

So JOY_BTN1 pressed with LCtrl now releases weapons. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but better than nothing. I still can't get my head around two things:

1. Why DCS won't let me add that modifier in options? Why do I have to do this "hacker stuff" with editing luas? Not very user friendly.

2. Why this things exists in a first place? I guess real deal have separate controls for firing the gun and releasing weapons, but with addition of #1, I can't see my simulation factor being somehow improved with this. If I want to fire my gun, I'll select the damn mode :( Russian aircraft have one button for everything, F-15C and A-10A have this mess...

When i was new at DCS i was able to make such blank fields when i copied a A10a Profile to F15 or vice versa. Since the 2 Planes have different Layouts i messed things up.

• Like 1

Specs:

System: Asus Z170-E, I7 6700K, 16GB DDR4, Asus GTX1070 8GB, 1TB M2 SSD + 2x 250GB SSD,TrackIR, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder

Modules: A-10C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, F5E, M2000, AJS37, AV8b, F18C

You were right, those blank fields were probably created by me, messing with profiles. So I deleted all the inputs and that is now resolved :) But that fire/release thing is something I can't probably change, so those two airplanes need two separate buttons. Too bad I don't have any more spare buttons on the stick, so button + modifier it is.

1. Why DCS won't let me add that modifier in options? Why do I have to do this "hacker stuff" with editing luas? Not very user friendly.

Good point, perhaps something can be done.

2. Why this things exists in a first place? I guess real deal have separate controls for firing the gun and releasing weapons, but with addition of #1, I can't see my simulation factor being somehow improved with this. If I want to fire my gun, I'll select the damn mode :( Russian aircraft have one button for everything, F-15C and A-10A have this mess...

Because that's the way it works in the real aircraft ... and while it may not improve your simulation factor, it improves mine. I can take a gun snapshot with missiles selected if someone flies through my gun WEZ, or take a missile shot while in guns mode, which I may use for rapidly searching nearby airspace.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Good point, perhaps something can be done.

That was my fault applying joystick profile on A-10/F-15 that was originally created for russian aircraft. This disabled that field, because there's no separate fire/release in other aircraft configurations.

Because that's the way it works in the real aircraft ...

Didn't think of that. I guess I'll get used to it, or when I'll buy new joystick, I'll be able to map two buttons for gun and weapons. Right now, my guns are fired with modifier + button, which is not ideal, but better than nothing

Yeah I think I'm having problems here too. I lock a target, press weapon release but the gun always fires on the F-15C. How do I get round this? I'm using an XBox 360 controller?

That's the issue I was having. F-15 (and also A-10) has separate functions for weapons ("Weapon Release") and gun ("Weapon Fire"). So even when you select missiles, Weapon Fire button is tied to gun. Map two buttons for those two functions and you're good to go. And buy a joystick. Even those cheap ones (around 60 bucks) are better than controller.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

Yep. And just to be clear, I used to fly with a cheapo controller a long time ago, so I understand your solution and I don't think it's a wrong one. I was just replying to your question as to why it's modeled that way, and explaining why it might add to the simulation :)

The Russian aircraft on the other hand, do use the same trigger.

Didn't think of that. I guess I'll get used to it, or when I'll buy new joystick, I'll be able to map two buttons for gun and weapons. Right now, my guns are fired with modifier + button, which is not ideal, but better than nothing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

As a matter of fact, I think the game should allow several different actions being mapped to a the same key/button (of course, providing appropriate warnings about potential conflict). Maybe that could sometimes be used to simulate more complex avionics (like SPI-dependent key switch functions), or help those whose joystics have a limited number of buttons.

For example, the key for the wheelbrakes could easily be used for something else when airborne (I'm thinking FC3-level fidelity there of course, DCS-level would seldom need this sort of things).

Of course, great care (from the user) would be required not to mess up everything with conflicts. I think Jane's F/A-18C allowed that.