NON Steam Version but Want Steam Logging and Online Notification

Can anyone help?

I would like to keep my NON steam DCS world and all the modules I have just the same but I would like to:

- enable STEAM to detect I am playing so my steam friends can seem I'm in DCS world (either single player, multi player etc..)

- would like the STEAM overlay if possible - but no big deal

I have added LAUNCHER.EXE as a non steam game, but since DCS closes launcher after you select an option from the main menu (ie. multiplayer, instant action etc..) STEAM no longer detects I am playing the game and my steam status goes to "ONLINE".

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks

You don't have to install it via steam. In steam go to your game library and click "Add a game" in the lower left corner, followed by "Add a non-steam game" and then browse your current DCS install and select the DCS exe. Problem is though, that as soon as you start a flight, steam will not recognize you playing anymore, as DCS starts another instance of itself. You could however start DCS with the following parameters: "--net-mode gui" so it would start directly in MP mode, and you should have the overlay and steam will show you as "Playing DCS"...

Here's a short guide I wrote in the Steam forum a while ago, summarising Chippy's solution.

Note this is for the non-Steam version of DCS.

How to add DCS World to Steam (with Steam overlay)

Here is how you can get the DCS World program to work with the Steam overlay

1. Add non-Steam game -> launcher.exe from \DCS World\bin

2. Select the properties for that shortcut in your Steam library:

3. Add " DCS.exe" on end of Target, including the space but not the quotes.

4. Remove "bin/" from the end of "Start In".

Finished

To add the multiplayer shortcut as well, do the same thing except:

> In step 1 select DCS.exe instead of launcher.exe.

> In step 3, instead of adding " DCS.exe" onto the Target, add " --net-mode gui" minus the quotes.

> Optional step: You can rename the shortcut from the Properties window (for me it showed up in the library as just "DCS").

Now you can add Steam shortcuts for these to the desktop if you wish, so that launching the sim from the desktop shortcuts does it with the steam overlay.

Hopefully it still works the same way.