Mi-8 Durability

Hi,

Okay, so I'm flying the Mi-8 as a raider. I get told that there are some advanced recon elements near by for me to pick off. So I dart in and take out two Humvees... They hit me with about 20 .50 caliber rounds...

So, I continue - do a rocket run on some Paladin's behind the lines and then stumble into a tank platoon. Here I take some more 12.7mm rounds - but I also take over a dozen 20mm rounds from a Vulcan. I lose weapon control, one of my rotors is noticeably shorter and I eventually end up having to autorotate. However, I do make it back to my own lines.

So my question: Is it realistic?

Can the Mi-8 survive a burst from a Vulcan? Or even multiple hits from a Browning?

At the 159th, those of us who have the Hip (around 6-7 of us) find that it takes far too much stick to be realistic, -both battle and accident damage.

We assume that the damage-model just hasn't progressed that far yet.

We are loving the flight-model, however!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

Your case do not happen to me. The Vulcan is deadly for my Mi-8 and the 12,7 mm is very dangerous. Normally I finish on ground. I think is enough realistic.

In case you have the Huey too, you cant compare the durabil of such choppers. The Mi-8 have other made for... The narrow doors from sides,are not made thinking in fast landing, but for a strong and protected struture.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From Belsimtek

The flight, engine, and fuel systems modeling is essentially complete and passes muster with our very own senior Mi-8 pilot managing the project - PilotMi8. The damage model is still in progress. Weapons currently fully modeled include unguided rockets and three varieties of external gun pods. While I have no doubt that our progress on completing the essential feature pack will be very quick, we obviously understand some of you may wish to wait until they are "in" before making your purchase.

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

Theoretically you should be able to shoot the passenger compartment pretty much indefinitely. (If you're really stupidly lucky.) It's just a big aluminum box.

So it is probably more able than most choppers to survive an autocannon burst in the airframe. Just so long as the damage model includes the statistical chance of frag severing something important.

This ^^ is modelled at least to some extent. (Admittedly it's in the testing version, but) I've had it where the Mi-8 kept flying after taking so many rounds I lost count in the de-brief, and where the golden 12.5mm bb (or 2) has caused the engines to die after a few minutes with no further hits, and anywhere in between.

The 14.5mm RHMG (rediculously heavy machine gun) on the BTR-80 demonstrates this well.

Depeding where they hit you, you can, after the first hit, instantly find yourself outside looking in at a pilotless helicopter flying off into the distance, discover in the debrief that the reason you ended up parked a long way from where you meant to is that the only 14.5mm round you caught caused a failure in the engine control systems, or have confirmed that you soaked up so many rounds the passenger compartment must look like a collander, nobody would have walked out of there unaided, but the systems were undamaged.

Cheers.

• 4 months later...

It's not the damage model but rather how easy it is to get hit. From experience, it's not THAT easy to hit an helo with a machine gun or a canon (non-radar controlled). Most of the time, soldiers can't hit a barn when it comes to a fast attacking chopper. Of course, it's a different matter when you actually have to land troops in a "disputed" area. Then you are, for all intent and purpose, a sitting duck. Ask my brother.

Intel i5 2500K 4.2 Ghz

GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr ii

16 Gb DDR3 RAM

Win 7 64 bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]