Fw-190D and P-51 AI DM

chris455

I think most of us understand that the AI Dora is a little quirky regarding its FM and DM. Very challenging, yes, but historically believable, well..................

Desiring a somewhat more realistic challenge, I tried the P-51 v P-51 mission in the mission editor. It was my hope that the AI P-51, with a fully developed flyable alter-ego, would offer a more imersive, historically credible opponent.

Although the FM wasn't quite as stellar as it's AI buddy, the Dora, I found that after blasting him with over 100 hits (checked the log afterwards) of .50 caliber ammo, trailing fuel, coolant and oil, and holes in every square inch of his visual model, this guy was just getting warmed up. His engine continue to hum in the same pitch that mine does only when it's at Military. And it never changed. Even after giving him this very severe mauling, his continued performance showed no sign-ZERO- that anything was out of adjustment, let alone damaged.

After finally running out of ammo, I stupidly decided to go to WEP and outdistance him in his shot up crate. Certainly he would be unable to catch me................

Well, you can guess the rest. :(

This is a fantastic sim, very imersive and fun, even educational regarding the detail with which the Mustang has been engineered.

But when do we get a believable AI to fight against? I'm all for a challenge, but a realistic challenge would be very welcome at this point.

Devs?

Edited by chris455

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Remembering Arlie "Jack" Campbell, US Army Air Forces, WWII. Well done dad, rest in peace.

Probably when DCS WW2 will be out...:thumbup:

When I asked Luthier about the poor (friendly) AI of the WW2 warbirds that we have now and if RRG intended to do something about it, he replied it's all up to ED.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

The fw 190 ai is hard, probably the hardest ai i've fought against, however it is obviously running on a simplified( and sometimes crazy) fm. That being said if that is the best way to get tough ai then I guess I'm for it. Of course the ideal set up is true fm ( like BOS ) that is hard to beat, though with BOS I've noticed when you get in the saddle so to speak behind a plane they tend to give up(although it is still very good ai). But just watch the outside view of the 190 when it's going up and down,up and down,and up and down, and you can see how railed the flight is.

The damage model isn't "great" for the AI but it is good enough to get quick kills if you focus the firepower. We've all been frustrated with the AI at one point (you can find plenty of existing threads about it if you search) but you will get better flying against it. Specifically, your energy fighting. And their performance can be countered with the right maneuvers quite easily after some time. You really don't need a ton of bullets to set the AI aircraft on fire... but spraying the airframe with random shots will not get you a kill. If you want "more human-like" behavior there are many actual humans that enjoy combat in the DCS P-51D :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I look at it this way: Back in my days as an avid racquetball player (before I got old and the knees gave out), I always tried to play against guys just a bit better than I was. Boring for my opponents, perhaps, and they almost always beat me, but it upped my game considerably.

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!