FPS drop high speed low level

sylkhan

when flying (Ka-50) at high speed at very low level (1 m), fps drop from 60 to 10

I think that this is no issue...that seems to be normal and also seems to be up to your settings. At low altitude and full speed your System has to render all that things pretty much in a high LODs and it needs to do this also quite fast. 3D Objects are coming closer and each milimeter you move forward in the game needs to be recalculated by the system...so I suggest reducing the grafic options, I dont think it is a bug.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I think that this is no issue...

It is.. fps drop from 60 (5 m level) to 10 (1 m level)

that seems to be normal and also seems to be up to your settings

No

At low altitude and full speed your System has to render all that things pretty much in a high LODs and it needs to do this also quite fast. 3D Objects are coming closer and each milimeter you move forward in the game needs to be recalculated by the system...

Ok but the problem occur without any 3d objet, in open field for example.

so I suggest reducing the grafic options

No thanks, they are fine. :)

I dont think it is a bug.

Not really a bug. I thing it's a problem of ground dust rendering optimization.

don't forget, it's when flying at high speed and very very low level, in fact at ground level.

It is.. fps drop from 60 (5 m level) to 10 (1 m level)

No

Ok but the problem occur without any 3d objet, in open field for example.

No thanks, they are fine. :)

Not really a bug. I thing it's a problem of ground dust rendering optimization.

don't forget, it's when flying at high speed and very very low level, in fact at ground level.

all might be true...but honestly...your initial post havent really explained much

when flying (Ka-50) at high speed at very low level (1 m), fps drop from 60 to 10

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Good to know sylkhan. I was flying around very low the other day and it went into a 10fps slideshow. I can't be sure this was the cause (I was testing Radeon Pro's Double Vsync at the time) but if it happens again I'll see if this is my problem.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I've just done some more testing without Radeon Pro's Double Vsync and it does indeed drop to 10fps when I fly below 20.

I tried deleting smokecloud.pfx and it seemed like that was causing BS to fail to load but that turned out to be a weird bug between FRAPS and Radeon Pro, so I have to load FRAPS after BS is loaded. Now I can fly as low as I like and it stays at normal fps (about 48 on Instant Mission - Shooting Range). Nice find sylkhan :)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Please, can anybody specify the path to smokecloud.pfx? Thanks.

Matias.

Sure, it's Bazar/Effects/PFX and then high, medium or low depending on which setting you're using (or just delete/rename all three).

• 2 weeks later...

Same here!

There was no problem with 1.2.0, but FPS goes 10~18 with v1.2.1 at low altitude on same PC system (my signature).

Thanks for temporary solution.

Edit: Strange; Tonight it's OK. It's 60~65 FPS at 2~3m...

Edited by Devrim

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tested with 1.2.2 but I'll just rename smokecloud.pfx again if necessary.

Ok, i was right, it's a ground dust effect problem.

I removed the smokecloud.pfx (ground dust) file, do some test, and no more fps lost at very low level flight (3 m AGL).

Something is very wrong with this file.

Thanks for that I have same issue, when engaging sam/ aaa a little close and dive to the deck and retreat to evade fire, 60fps down to 10 or less.

will remove that file also

Cheers, Ian

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

• 3 months later...

Removing smokecloud.pfx, still helps in 1.2.3.9871. With the cloud in place it only seems to bug my system down when speed relative to ground gets up. This hints that the more dust is generated the bigger the FPS-penalty.

When looking closer at the dustcloud, it seems two dust clouds of different color are puffing up - one white and the other yellowish.

In a somewhat stationary hover the FPS does not drop much with dustcloud (FPS ~ 31):

hover-outsideview-speed4-fps31.jpg

hover-cockpit-speed4-fps24.jpg

When going faster the dustcloud/trail hits FPS hard (FPS ~ 13):

lowpass-cockpit-speed197-fps13.jpg

lowpass-outsideview-speed197-fps13.jpg

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

Removing smokecloud.pfx, still helps in 1.2.3.9871. With the cloud in place it only seems to bug my system down when speed relative to ground gets up. This hints that the more dust is generated the bigger the FPS-penalty.

When looking closer at the dustcloud, it seems two dust clouds of different color are puffing up - one white and the other yellowish.

In a somewhat stationary hover the FPS does not drop much with dustcloud (FPS ~ 31):

hover-outsideview-speed4-fps31.jpg

hover-cockpit-speed4-fps24.jpg

When going faster the dustcloud/trail hits FPS hard (FPS ~ 13):

lowpass-cockpit-speed197-fps13.jpg

lowpass-outsideview-speed197-fps13.jpg

Same broblem here, it's really shame that this kind bug wont be fixed. Removing dustcloud helps , but it won't be good solution for long run. (i like dust) :mad:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
Agree and it has been noted.

Nate

Is this still being tracked?

Please check out this track I recorded. There are NO other buildings or objects to be rendered and for testing purposes disable "grass clutter" etc in your settings. Unlock your FPS as well if you have done so (maxFps = 30 or so, remove that).

Watch from F2 view, you can go to 60 seconds with accellerate before watching the effect. You can see stationary ground effect is fine, moving ground effect happens way to often -> many draw calls I believe (since GPU is sitting at 40% usage) -> bad performance. Gotta reduce particle generation frequency.

ka50 low fps.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

Any official input on this? I think my track provides a perfect example of the problem.

See how OFTEN the little cloud particle is created when t he aircraft is hovering and how much more often they get spawned when the helo moves. Max. particle speed must be cut down!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

• 1 year later...