DIY Warthog stick extension

Yes another DIY Warthog stick extension branded Gardena. Went to Bauhaus and bought some sewer tube, screws and Gardena fittings. The extension ended up extending the stick 11cm and is made of 40mm sewer tube that makes a tight fit with the Gardena fittings. Removed the rubber-gaskets and filled them with hot glue instead. Everything fastened with a lot of screws (mostly for fun).

Easily disassembled and packed under the table, when not in use :-)

Result

stick01.jpg

stick02.jpg

Gardena.jpg

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

That's neat. I would like to give it a go as soon as I get my HOTAS back. Have you got the part numbers for the fittings so I could do a search and get some ordered?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

He he looks like Bauhause can make some profit of the TH Warthog extention. I have just tried the Gardena coupling and drain pipe :music_whistling:

Looks great Tietze :thumbup: Do you already have the mini DIN connectors for the extension cable? If not I got some inbound from China, if you need a set.

Cheers

Hans

IMAG0799.thumb.jpg.fe529c887d254cfde8aefb9891728a2d.jpg

Edited by Hansolo

That's neat. I would like to give it a go as soon as I get my HOTAS back. Have you got the part numbers for the fittings so I could do a search and get some ordered?

No I don't have any part numbers - I tried to search on the net beforehand but found out a visit to the local Bauhaus solved all the googling.

The main part was the (rather expensive 10) Gardena squarish gardenhose connector. It is cylindrical, which makes it easy to lump together with some plastic tubing. I would recommend putting the joyhandle in a backpack and visit a local hardware store selling all kinds of garden and DIY stuff and just browse until you find the inexpensive and workable parts that can be fitted together.

The plastic/ PP sewer tube is quite a common article here in DK, so I don't know how that would apply in the UK.

Looks great Tietze :thumbup: Do you already have the mini DIN connectors for the extension cable? If not I got some inbound from China, if you need a set.

attachment.php?attachmentid=79236&d=1365018965

That looks great as well Hans - did you heat the tube to get it into that shape?

I must admit I couldn't wait for the PS/2-extension cable to arrive, so I cannibalized a ps2->usb connector and soldered the wires directly onto the pins in the joy handle (sorry, that is really a ghetto solution ;) ).

Noooooooo! you didnt really solder directly to the joystick connector.... Oh well, no harm done I suppose.

:lol:

(did it really nicely so it (hopefully) will be easy to desolder, but time will tell ;) (though I did even use shrink tubing as well, such a waste ;)))

That looks great as well Hans - did you heat the tube to get it into that shape?

I must admit I couldn't wait for the PS/2-extension cable to arrive, so I cannibalized a ps2->usb connector and soldered the wires directly onto the pins in the joy handle (sorry, that is really a ghetto solution ;) ).

No the drain pipe I found was already in that shape. The inner lip seal as removed and a bit of the end cut off. The Gardena parts was then glued unto the pipe using Loctite two component epoxy glue :music_whistling:

I don't like to wait but I am really looking forward to trying it once the cable is done

Cheers

3276.jpg.7f03a501f8015efbf32c9350d0e67cd8.jpg

• 3 months later...

Gardena 1"

Hi all,

thanx for the good examples how to extend your stick.

This week i ordered some Gardena G 1" fittings and some pipes.

But these fittings didn't fit......?!? 1" just seems to small for the stick / base.

Can anyone help me out?

I thought 1" would fit but apparantly i need even larger Gardena fittings?

If i look for these in Holand 1"are the biggest...

please help :(

Hi all,

thanx for the good examples how to extend your stick.

This week i ordered some Gardena G 1" fittings and some pipes.

But these fittings didn't fit......?!? 1" just seems to small for the stick / base.

Can anyone help me out?

I thought 1" would fit but apparantly i need even larger Gardena fittings?

If i look for these in Holand 1"are the biggest...

please help :(

These fit the thread perfectly, available at a Gardena retailer (which is where I got them)

http://www.gardena.com/nl/watermanagement/slangkoppelingen/slangreparateur-308131/

http://www.gardena.com/nl/watermanagement/slangkoppelingen/slangreparateur/

http://www.gardena.com/nl/watermanagement/slangkoppelingen/slangreparateur-308121/

http://www.gardena.com/nl/watermanagement/slangkoppelingen/slangreparateur-308126/

When you say 1" what measurements are you talking about. I think mine was probably a hose size of 3/4", I think its called a hose repairer in English. I have just measured the outer diameter on the thread. Its roughtly 36mm.

Cheers

Hans

Lukas you are fast :-D

Edited by Hansolo
Ah... Lukas beat me to it :-)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has anyone asked TM if they could supply the extension hardware? Extension wire and plugs, base extension tube, grip extension tube.... etc?

What are the dimensions of the real A-10 stick?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Has anyone asked TM if they could supply the extension hardware? Extension wire and plugs, base extension tube, grip extension tube.... etc?

What are the dimensions of the real A-10 stick?

lol, not a chance..... they are not the business of modding!

Looks great!

I would like to make an extension-that's not-an extension for mine. I basically want to just offset the stick 20Deg CCW or so from the base for better ergos, but don't want to actually extend the vertical at all.

Can you give an estimate on what the shortest length possible is for this? Just the Gardena and electrical connecters etc..?

EDIT: TM TARGET software isn't an option for me unfortunately.

Edited by johnv2pt0

• 2 years later...
Yes another DIY Warthog stick extension branded Gardena. Went to Bauhaus and bought some sewer tube, screws and Gardena fittings. The extension ended up extending the stick 11cm and is made of 40mm sewer tube that makes a tight fit with the Gardena fittings. Removed the rubber-gaskets and filled them with hot glue instead. Everything fastened with a lot of screws (mostly for fun).

Easily disassembled and packed under the table, when not in use :-)

]

Great DIY solution…

1.what kind of connector is used? It looks like PC DIN connector BUT the pins are wrong, and guide slot is as well...IS IT PURCHASABLE...as What?

....or did TM create custom cable connectors (which I highly doubt)?

2. I assume the Gardena fittings are metric... Any US suppliers use metric style garden hose fittings?

I broke my TMHW Stick connector,

and Thrustmaster has no spares for it, either for the Wathog or the Cougar… really a BS situation!…

They would only sell me a full TMHW flight stick handle for $116 shipped.

...trying for work arounds... Though I am likely to go ahead and purchase the spare handle ...Jonesin' to get back in the air!

Cheers,

Chas

I broke my TMHW Stick connector,

and Thrustmaster has no spares for it, either for the Wathog or the Cougar… really a BS situation!…

They would only sell me a full TMHW flight stick handle for $116 shipped.

PS2 (Mini-DIN) connector male and female are available disassembled.

BTW - In the video looks like you broken Warthog "neck" (common occurency) - but not the DIN PS2 connector.

Print a new "neck" in Shapeways, option for plastic - more strong than original "metal" - or in steel.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/debolestis

And give a :harhar: for Tm "support".

Edited by Sokol1_br