[NO BUG]Nav on cold start aircraft doesn't work before March 28 1994

Bankler

Reproduction steps as tested 2019-11-24 (build 2.5.5.39384):

1) Set time in ME to anything before March 28 1994 (note that it's possible that the exact time changes as if it's a matter of the differance between today's date and that date in question exceeding the capacity of the datatype measuring this time span. So when testing, please use an even earlier date).

2) Spawn cold on an airfield or the boat.

3) Startup. Notice that the HSI map remains grayscale instead of going full color (in the .trk it's black though).

4) Set WP steering, select WP1 and box SEQ1.

5) Take off.

6) Notice that the distance to the waypoint doesn't update in the HUD.

Comment: It's extremely easy to work around the problem by just setting the time to a later date. However, it's plausible that this bug is a symptom of some more serious underlying problem, so it makes sense that your engineers take a look at it.

Track and miz included. Cheers!

BrokenNav1993.trk

Hornet.miz

Edited by Bankler

• ED Team

Hi

Not a bug, GPS will only work after 1994

You would need to manually align before this date.

1. In the case the plane didn't move since start of the mission: coordinates of the first waypoint can be used to set own coordinates after INS align completed

a) on HSI page choose wpt 0 using PB12 "up" or PB13 "dn", then press PB14 "WPDSG"

b) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB7 "DSG", press PB6 "ACPT"

2. In case the plane has moved since start of the mission: you can use TCN position update after INS align completed

a) TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC

b) turn on the TACAN and set channel and band of the beacon, set T/R mode; you must receive bearing and range

c) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB6 "TCN", press PB6 "ACPT"

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

You would need to manually align before this date.

1. In the case the plane didn't move since start of the mission: coordinates of the first waypoint can be used to set own coordinates after INS align completed

a) on HSI page choose wpt 0 using PB12 "up" or PB13 "dn", then press PB14 "WPDSG"

b) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB7 "DSG", press PB6 "ACPT"

2. In the case the plane has moved since start of the mission: you can use TCN position update after INS align completed

a) TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC

b) turn on the TACAN and set channel and band of the beacon, set T/R mode; you must receive bearing and range

c) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB6 "TCN", press PB6 "ACPT"

Thanks

Very cool! Thanks a lot!

Unless you're flying an A-10C :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry for what are probably stupid questions, but I am currently trying to fly the DCE campaign detailed here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259521

and am experiencing this issue due to the date the campaign is set.

When the aircraft is starting it is on a moving aircraft carrier, subsequently the plane is moving. Does that mean I have to follow step 2?

If that is the case what is meant by "TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC", and also what TACAN am i tuning to. Is it the TACAN of the carrier?

Thanks in advance

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Bit of an old post but GPS is not used in GND or CV alignment modes regardless. In GND the position of waypoint 0 is used if it exists (which it always does in DCS), so alignment should complete automatically pre-1994 or otherwise. CV is a bit more long winded and not really worth going over here imo.

Sorry for what are probably stupid questions, but I am currently trying to fly the DCE campaign detailed here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259521

and am experiencing this issue due to the date the campaign is set.

When the aircraft is starting it is on a moving aircraft carrier, subsequently the plane is moving. Does that mean I have to follow step 2?

If that is the case what is meant by "TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC", and also what TACAN am i tuning to. Is it the TACAN of the carrier?

Thanks in advance

Afaik you can set it to the carrier tacan as of now, but the correct CV alignment procedure is different (think similar to tomcat if you own it), maybe it'll change in the future.

Bit of an old post but GPS is not used in GND or CV alignment modes regardless. In GND the position of waypoint 0 is used if it exists (which it always does in DCS), so alignment should complete automatically pre-1994 or otherwise. CV is a bit more long winded and not really worth going over here imo.

Afaik you can set it to the carrier tacan as of now, but the correct CV alignment procedure is different (think similar to tomcat if you own it), maybe it'll change in the future.

So please can you tell me, if commiting the first method to align from wp0, should I set the INS dial to GND when aligning. Once the procedure is complete do I switch it back to NAV, or leave it at GND?

Thx

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

So please can you tell me, if commiting the first method to align from wp0, should I set the INS dial to GND when aligning. Once the procedure is complete do I switch it back to NAV, or leave it at GND?

Thx

Right now you have to do the procedure bignewy explained and if you're on a carrier use the carrier's tacan. When the color map shows it means it's done and you can switch to NAV.

Right now you have to do the procedure bignewy explained and if you're on a carrier use the carrier's tacan. When the color map shows it means it's done and you can switch to NAV.

Thx again for your help.

I tried the 2nd method to align the INS but must have done something wrong.

I cheated and used autostart to get the plane going for the mission from the carrier.

I followed the instructions and turned on the TACAN and tuned the TACAN for 62X (IDY). I set the HSI to TCN to confirm i was tuned in correctly to IDY whick showed a distance of 0.1.

I selected WP1 which from the carrier showed a distance of 48.3, but as i flew towards it the distance didnt change at all. This was the same for all way points. I switched back to TCN and could see the distance between me and the carrier (IDY) was increasing.

The autostart leaves INS set to NAV. Should I have changed this to CV or GND?

Thanks for your help. I have used method 1 to allign using waypoint 0 (leaving INS knob at NAV) and it works great.

Hopefully this will do the trick for the remaining missions.

Kind regards

• 4 months later...