Finding and identifying targets

Impact

At the moment I try to distinguish different enemy vehicles by using the AGM65D Maverick. In the TGP, its no problem to find and identify targets, and destroy the Anti Air at first, but with the Mav D, its all too blurry, even when zooming in.

And the first campaign mission lets you only carry Mavs and Clusters, no Targetingpod. I want to destroy the Shilkas first, and then drop the clusters on the tank brigade.

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

You can carry the targetting pod if you want, plenty in stock I checked.

But isnt this called cheating? They want me to do the job with the stuff they gave me, so I do it like they want.

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

Some people might consider it cheating, I call it using your initative which is one of the qualities an airforce would look for in its pilots! Anyway it must be fun to try and do it the old fashioned way. Good luck! At least now without the cloudbase you have a chance...

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

But isnt this called cheating? They want me to do the job with the stuff they gave me, so I do it like they want.

That is a question only you can answer.

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

I never fly without a TGP. It's effectively my eyes on the battlefield, and indispensable for me. So, I would always carry one. And it's not 'cheating' at all, especially since you can change your loadout on the ground in-game.

You're the player/pilot, it's your choice as to how you want to handle things.

I use Use TGP all the time too. I maybe imagining it, but I feel that spotting targets on the MAV sensor is way harder than it was with Lock On

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

and for detecting ground troops?i have problems for that, also with the TGP, any tip for that?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Some people might consider it cheating, I call it using your initative which is one of the qualities an airforce would look for in its pilots! Anyway it must be fun to try and do it the old fashioned way. Good luck! At least now without the cloudbase you have a chance...

I gotta say, without the overcast skies the mission is much easier, but it gave it some serious character... dropping out of the clouds with only about 1200 feet of airspace between blindness and the hard deck... :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding ground troops and TGP, I personally find that switching between BHOT and WHOT usually helps. Depending on conditions and background it may be easier to see them in one or the other, so flipping between them (Boat forward and Boat aft) improves your odds. Generally speaking my completely anecdotal experience is the BHOT seems to be the better one, in there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hasn't it been said that the real A-10C never flies without a TGP these days? So rearming yourself with a TGP may in fact be more realistic than following the default loadout and going without one.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

TGP for the win, Never leave home without it!!!!! :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheA10FAN?feature=mhum

coolermaster HAF full tower

Intell i7 960 bloomfield 4.0Ghz

Evga X58 Classified 3 mobo

Corsair H-60 Hydro Cooler

Corsair Dominator GT 12g DDR3 1866 ram

Corsair Pro Series AX1200w ps

OCZ Vertex3 SSD 240g

Evga GTX590 Vid Card

Creative X-FI Titanium soundcard

TM Warthog Hotas

in a mission i tried, in wich i had to suppres ground troops attacking an allied forward base it was nearly impossible for me to spot ground troops without icons, i tried with both WHOT and BHOT cameras

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

That's unfortunately the way it is. An infantryman that knows his stuff is extremely difficult to spot from the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I was taught in flight school (C172) that a good pilot uses ALL available resources. We weren't allowed to use GPS during early training because they wanted you to perfect the use of paper charts, but you can bet as soon as I got my PPL, the GPS came with me on every flight :) That was in 1999. I guess by now, GPS is probably part of primary training (I hope).

So IMO using the TGP is not cheating

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Remember also to use your AI wingman. As he calls out targets, note his SPI in your TAD and use it to orientate you to a target grouping. There will usually be plenty of targets for you both at that location. Use EXP 1 mode in the TAD; this enables you to reposition the moving map without reference to your ownship, a much better way to see/hook a buddy SPI than in the default TAD mode.

It's difficult to distinguish targets with the seeker head on the Mav. I personally like to compare two systems when I do anything; navigation, aquisition, etc. One thing that people often forget is that the Warthog is second to none in going low and slow. Simply throttling down can do a lot in helping to spot targets. Slowing down does make you a better target, but let's face it, 300knts isn't very fast either! Probe the area for AAA and SA by getting a wing on the area (I prefer right wing) and getting gradually closer to the area of operations. If you get lit up on the radar or you see tracers, you're abeam of the threat so you're not an easy target. Calmly wing left out of the area (do not drop your wing too far or you're exposing a bigger target for them). If you probe the area and find no immediate anti-air threats, keep a wing on the AO and gradually take your speed and altitude down and move gradually closer to the center of the suspected AO. For a better view, zoom your view all the way in, and if you're using TrackIR, engage 'precision' mode (F7 default.. I changed it to LCTRL F7)

You WILL be suprised at how much you can see if you slow down, drop down, and look over a wing.

Check this post for more general info on spotting targets:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1106259

Good luck

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm