FC3 Airfield select: closest to farthest

Home Fries

One thing that makes FC3 aircraft more difficult than real life is having to cycle through the different airfields in Nav ILS/Approach mode and hope you have the right one. Right now the cycle order appears to go in the same sequence regardless of where your aircraft is on the map.

Instead of a standard cycle order, I would like to have it where cycling airfields in FC3 starts with the closest airfield, then the next closest, etc. This just makes more sense since the field you want the ILS for is naturally going to be close to your position.

Here's the implementation:

1. When you initially go into ILS/Approach it should display the field that was selected previously, but the first toggle should be to the closest field (even if the field is the same one that's already selected, as this just confirms that you have the closest field selected).
  2. Continuing to cycle airfields cycles the next closest airfield, and then the next, and so on.
  3. Once you reach the farthest airfield, it cycles back to the closest.

Alternate flows:

1. If you are close to a number of airfields, the "closest airfield" will always be the one that is closest when you began cycling (i.e. your position when you started cycling airfields is frozen). This prevents an order change in the same action when you fly closer to another field while cycling.
  2. To "reset" the closest field (i.e. unfreeze the above position so the actual closest field will be selected first) after the above scenario, cycle to Enroute Nav mode, then back to ILS/Approach (i.e. toggle "1").
  3. Whenever you cycle between Enroute Nav and ILS/Approach, cycling airfields will start back at the closest airfield regardless of where you were in the sequence before toggling. This allows you to immediatly go back without having to cycle through the entire sequence if you accidentally cycle one too many.

Edited by Home Fries

• 4 weeks later...

A simple but very good idea. This would be very helpful in all aircraft.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.