Bigger objects in the distance option gone?

harf4ng

Hi,

Previously I had an option to have objects in the distance like planes or the like bigger.

This helped me especially as I fly in VR so I have a lower resolution and world details.

But can't find this option anymore in 2.5. Can someone explain me where this option is? Or is this option gone?

Thanks

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

It's gone. It was already removed in 1.5 for quite some time IIRC.

Also, see here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=204308

here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206351

and here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=199148

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Oh too bad. This was useful for VR users...

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

For now you can have a play with the (labels.lua) file harf4ng.

You cannot mess the files up, Trust me....

You can find the label.lua file if installed in the standard place at...

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View

(Labels.lua)

Save a copy of the (Labels.lua) file to this location.

C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\Saved Games\DCS(beta etc)\Config\View

Now DCS will use this file now and not the original file when labels are on, if you mess up just delete it...:thumbup:

Now you can have a play with this file and set it up to your own liking...

As you can see, DCS sets the "local variables" for the names that are seen in sim on lines 61,62,63

These are then used in the "Airformat" on line 72 (..NAME_DISTANCE_PLAYER)

Remove this ..NAME_DISTANCE_PLAYER to get rid of the, NAMES, DISTANCE and PLAYER names that are see in the sim when at 5000 meters distance.

Same with the others.

..NAME_DISTANCE

..DISTANCE

Edit this using note pad or better to look at code notepad ++ this is what I'm using below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184054&stc=1&d=1525777751

Attached below is one I've been playing with, not exactly happy with it for VR as of yet, it's a start tho.

Download and place in the view folder to try it out.

Now make it as hard or easy as you want for VR, depending on VR settings.

LabelsQuick.thumb.jpg.c66f392098887099b47041d8d5a9e672.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Labels? But I don't really like playing with labels, this is a bit unrealistic no? :)

Labels? But I don't really like playing with labels, this is a bit unrealistic no? :)

Those labels only add a label-dot on top of distant units in a similar manner to the late model enlargement. So you won't be getting any revealing text or anything.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Those labels only add a label-dot on top of distant units in a similar manner to the late model enlargement. So you won't be getting any revealing text or anything.
How large/big can you make the dot? TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

you can only change the font size, the text will be the same whatever the distance.

But in the lua file you can setup how far it will be displayed as well as play on its alpha transparency for a fade out effect.

To make it bigger with distance, just use different character for different ranges.

example, replace : '.' with a 'o'

Just a quick update,

Had a little play with the labels in VR with the F-15 on NTTR Map and the A-10C in the sitting ducks mission on the Georgia map.

This is quite a bit better I think, this is of course for single player in VR, should work OK for monitors too, adjust for your VR settings.

Label file attached at the bottom, this is what I came up with so far.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184192&stc=1&d=1525941032

Download (Labels.lua) below and place in the view folder to try it out.

-

Labels.lua

VR_Labels_V2.thumb.jpg.91ae4b104839657870cf19284f3c0e68.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thanks will try that.

But I am surprised about what you said that it did that the previous official object enlargement. I remember trying a mission with the sabre and with this option on I saw a bigger enemy plane. Not a dot above the enemy plane.

I'm sure ED is working on something? This is only a work around to help see in VR or on a monitor a little better for now. ED may bring back what they had perhaps?

-

• 1 year later...
Just a quick update,

Had a little play with the labels in VR with the F-15 on NTTR Map and the A-10C in the sitting ducks mission on the Georgia map.

[/b]

Hi,

Thanks David, I'm pretty pleased with this and with the explanation regarding manipulating the file.

Are you still using these settings?

Happy new year!

Cheers Andrew

I'm sure ED is working on something? This is only a work around to help see in VR or on a monitor a little better for now. ED may bring back what they had perhaps?

-

ED is working on visibility but not any sort of model enlargement or scaling.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4150636&postcount=163

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5