[REPORTED] red glowing static F-15Es??

Hoirtel

Anyone noticed that static F-15E's glow red from miles away? Look like airfield lights. When getting closer they glow with a red halo until overhead when it disappears? Then as I fly away it fades back in again. I fly in VR and like to decorate airfield with some static parked objects. Been doing this since 2.5.6. I have specifically seen this at Nellis on the Nevada Map, not tried others yet. Not really a problem, but a definite bug! No other objects seem to be doing this from what I have seen so far.

• ED Team

Hi

can you take a screenshot and attach it here for us to check.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting screenshots was harder than I first thought. This is much less noticeable on a flat screen, even on the mirror from my VR headset. If in normal daylight then this is basically invisible on the flat screen. I had to set the light to dusk just to get good screenshots. In VR this is very very visible day and night via the headset (Rift S) I think this is to do with the scale, as when the airfield is tiny on my flat panel, its larger and easier to see in my VR headset (The mirror shows a much more zoomed out view than I get) The screenshots I got are cropped to show it best, but if you really want to see it properly then I suggest having a look in VR if you can. I can see these so easily and they show up from so far away, even before the rest of the scenery has even drawn properly (view distance - high). I would attach the .miz but its a very easy test. F-15Es from the static objects list (not uncontrolled plane groups) approach from any plane pass overhead as if doing a break.

124624293_Faraway-crop.png.97c6b3a2f1596e12e9398c916396e9e9.png

1416678862_Closer-Crop.png.e44e84382e3bc55a2d5f74d7483424d7.png

Overhead.png.cc9232f015b36dccfad46feb4ca2b2cf.png

I noticed this too, but the issue is not limited to the F-15E's. I saw it on other aircraft as well, e.g. Mi-8 and Mi-28 AI models. And not only red lights, also saw the same issue with white lights.

I think it's a general 2.5.6 issue that aircraft strobe and nav lights are way to large/bright, when looking at them from a distance. Never seen this issue on 2.5.5

Just as if there's some sort of scaling problem. When distance increases, the light orbs (sorry I don't know the correct term) should become smaller, up till a point that you can't really see them. In 2.5.6 it seems they only scale smaller until a certain distance and then stop getting smaller. So if you look at one of those F-15E's from several miles out, the lights appear to be extremely oversized.

Can be easily reproduced in:

Instant action: Persian Gulf F-16 cold and dark

Press F2, and zoom out. You'll see the light issue on the F-15's

(oh yeah... I fly VR only... not sure if this is an issue on pancakes)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Anyone noticed that static F-15E's glow red from miles away? Look like airfield lights. When getting closer they glow with a red halo until overhead when it disappears? Then as I fly away it fades back in again. I fly in VR and like to decorate airfield with some static parked objects. Been doing this since 2.5.6. I have specifically seen this at Nellis on the Nevada Map, not tried others yet. Not really a problem, but a definite bug! No other objects seem to be doing this from what I have seen so far.

To me it is a IMPROVEMENT, not a BUG. I like, at least, realistic NAV light in night visible since many Km. As happens in real life.

Increase the size it is, yes, but in its halo. It happens too in other AC like F-15 or Mi8 / Mi-26. I hope this sort of lighting would be implemented to all ACs´ in DCS. Finally, I could maintain formation with other F-15 or helos at night operations.

I noticed this too, but the issue is not limited to the F-15E's. I saw it on other aircraft as well, e.g. Mi-8 and Mi-28 AI models. And not only red lights, also saw the same issue with white lights.

I think it's a general 2.5.6 issue that aircraft strobe and nav lights are way to large/bright, when looking at them from a distance. Never seen this issue on 2.5.5

Just as if there's some sort of scaling problem. When distance increases, the light orbs (sorry I don't know the correct term) should become smaller, up till a point that you can't really see them. In 2.5.6 it seems they only scale smaller until a certain distance and then stop getting smaller. So if you look at one of those F-15E's from several miles out, the lights appear to be extremely oversized.

Can be easily reproduced in:

Instant action: Persian Gulf F-16 cold and dark

Press F2, and zoom out. You'll see the light issue on the F-15's

(oh yeah... I fly VR only... not sure if this is an issue on pancakes)

Its not a BUG for me. In real life, strobe lighting is bigger when you see an AC since 7 or 8 Km. As happens now with F-15C/E. Its much more better now. Do you think it is realistic not seeing strobes or position lights more than 500 or 600 meters in night? I don´t think so.

Please ED, extend F-15 strobe and position lights, to the other AC in the sim. At least we can seeing other planes approaching to airports. Also, I fly in VR.

• ED Team

Sorry to be a pain, I tried to reproduce with my vive cosmos but was unable,

can I have a short track replay showing this, I can ask other testers to try also

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'll try and add some footage from my Reverb, but it probably won't be better than Hoirtel's screenshots

Its not a BUG for me. In real life, strobe lighting is bigger when you see an AC since 7 or 8 Km. As happens now with F-15C/E. Its much more better now. Do you think it is realistic not seeing strobes or position lights more than 500 or 600 meters in night? I don´t think so.

Please ED, extend F-15 strobe and position lights, to the other AC in the sim. At least we can seeing other planes approaching to airports. Also, I fly in VR.

No, it is not realistic. At least not the effect Hoirtel and I are seeing.

Looking at it from large distance, the "circular" light effect is waaay to large

It looks something like this in my Reverb (see image)

20200416_173752.jpg.b9e79848a8c20c306605f36b79f810dd.jpg

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

These aircraft are supposed to be parked, added in from the static objects rather than an aircraft group (just makes the airfield a bit more realistic for me) If you were to actually see it, you would know that it isn't right. Happens in the day and night but very difficult to see on a flat panel due to the size things appear (VR is 1:1 scale). I did try to snap a shot through the lenses on my headset with my phone but couldn't make this work with any quality.

I'll try and add some footage from my Reverb, but it probably won't be better than Hoirtel's screenshots

No, it is not realistic. At least not the effect Hoirtel and I are seeing.

Looking at it from large distance, the "circular" light effect is waaay to large

It looks something like this in my Reverb (see image)

Maybe you have modified the file "terrainoptions41.lua",

Please check what is your "lampsScale" parameter, in your local file. If you´ve tweaked to 5 or 6, you will see those huge lights. In my case, I tweaked to 2.5 without seeng those huge lights posted by you. Default is 1.0 (maybe that is why bignewy didn´t see it). I would attach a printscreen.

Maybe you have modified the file "terrainoptions41.lua",

Please check what is your "lampsScale" parameter, in your local file. If you´ve tweaked to 5 or 6, you will see those huge lights. In my case, I tweaked to 2.5 without seeng those huge lights posted by you. Default is 1.0 (maybe that is why bignewy didn´t see it). I would attach a printscreen.

Thanks Gryzor, but I never touched that lua (with my skills, it's best not to mess with that :P

But no harm in checking it out and try if a different value works better for me :thumbup:

Making screenshots from VR is pretty useless as the image quality is extremely poor and it won't even get close to showing exactly what I see in my Reverb.

(The fact that I use an old 1366x768 monitor doesn't help with that. It's about time we could lose those pancakes. Would save a lot of space)

EDIT:

I gave it another shot to visualize it on screenshots.. But this is the best I could do with my monitor.

Mission: Instant action F-16 Persian Gulf - F2 view, max zoom out

Screen_200417_174902.png.9feb032d5b92fdd95c19d15faecb8032.png

Screen_200417_174909.png.573b40bf7d7a3089d60a829f03d34b65.png

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

Yeah, I have never touched any of the lua files either. I have attached the trackfile from my test. For anyone trying it this will need Nevada and the F-16 although you can reproduce it with any map and aircraft. Currently on latest open beta as of yesterday's (16/4/20202) update

Glowing F-15Es.trk

Edited by Hoirtel

In another (and final) attempt to get this issue acknowledged:

Here's a "through the lens" shot of two AI Mi-28's on a FARP

If you zoom in on this picture, you'll see that the white tail light is so huge, that it covers the entire landing platform. While actually, from this distance it should be a small but bright speckle.

So far, I'm sure I've seen this issue on the F-15E and the Mi-28, but I'm pretty sure I also saw it on other AI aircraft.

Edit:

Sorry I see one of the pictures is upside down... ah well, you get the idea :smilewink:

20200417_182358.thumb.jpg.9446005e9ce1ff47603e53486ae90442.jpg

20200417_184008.jpg.2ac1d6cd21e37218da532c1e72013f60.jpg

System specs:

Reported, thank you all.

Please don´t remove the feature of seeing position & strobe lights during night, night flight is much improved with this.

Maybe, its a bit bigger (it doesn´t appears too much for me, with Index and SS 204%) but at least finally you could detect position lighting AC during night. Its more realistic thinking in nightime operations.

Better solution: consider to extend to other planes, not only F-15 or Mi-8 / 26. In real life, a night strobe lighting seen from 4Km, could looks as bigger as the AC emitting lighting (due the "halo" effect).

Thanks

Edited by Gryzor

Please don´t remove the feature of seeing position & strobe lights during night, night flight is much improved with this.

Maybe, its a bit bigger (it doesn´t appears too much for me, with Index and SS 204%) but at least finally you could detect position lighting AC during night. Its more realistic thinking in nightime operations.

Better solution: consider to extend to other planes, not only F-15 or Mi-8 / 26. In real life, a night strobe lighting seen from 4Km, could looks as bigger as the AC emitting lighting (due the "halo" effect).

Thanks

I really think you have got the wrong idea here. This issue is with parked planes. Not moving, not switched on, no pilot etc. In real life these would be dark. In DCS these have been chosen in the misson editor from the static objects menu and I have simply used them as eye candy for the airfield. Bit more fun to land at that a bleak empty one.

I have not actually tested this with aircraft in plane groups, I have never seen it in any AI planes and don't use uncontrolled AI aircraft to decorate the field as it would use more system memory than static objects.

Did you check my track file??