problem on mission ON THE OTHER SIDE

David A Sell

Hi guys,

Playing through the campagin deployment, and have a problem on "the other side" mission I follow my waypoints, but cant seem to get enough altitude to cross the mountains, any ideas on whats wrong? looks like im capped out at about 3200 meters, but my abris tells me to go right over the mountain, i need at least another 1000m to clear, I attached a screenshot that shows where i am stuck as well as my abris, and altimiter, i just cant get the bird to go any higher, ideas?

Thanks

ScreenShot_011.thumb.jpg.65fbc6dd4e6d0a2b6d89ba2086973ebe.jpg

Home-Built Rig - | ASUS TUF Z390-Plus| i9 9900k | 2080ti | 32g G.SKILL TridentZ |Samsung 970 evos | Tagan 1100w PS | Warthog Hotas | Track ir 5 | Saitek Pedals | PFT Collective

ok i must be doing somtjhing wrong, I take off, turn and maintain general runway heading at about 130-150km have a good climb going, get warning to turn on rotor de-ice, do that, continue to climb, get up to about 4200m and then i just lose my climb ability, my climb gauge slowly bleeds off to nothing, then negative when i get into the mountains. I'll try agin and maybe post a track unless im doing something wrong..

Home-Built Rig - | ASUS TUF Z390-Plus| i9 9900k | 2080ti | 32g G.SKILL TridentZ |Samsung 970 evos | Tagan 1100w PS | Warthog Hotas | Track ir 5 | Saitek Pedals | PFT Collective

ok i must be doing somtjhing wrong, I take off, turn and maintain general runway heading at about 130-150km have a good climb going, get warning to turn on rotor de-ice, do that, continue to climb, get up to about 4200m and then i just lose my climb ability, my climb gauge slowly bleeds off to nothing, then negative when i get into the mountains. I'll try agin and maybe post a track unless im doing something wrong..

ahhhh....exactly the same thing happen to me ... making the mission impossible to finish!

-LuKariello-

--------------------

Fly high, Fly Fast!

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic6300_1.gif [/sIGPIC]

heres the track if anyone has a sec to look at, its an ugly flight, but near the end you can see how i just cant keep up positive climb, as you can see i lose it about 3800m and then just cant recover any kind of upward altitude, like im fighting the bird just to maintain current alt.

thanks

noheight.trk

Edited by Munny

You can also use the ABRIS to plot a course over a mountain. It automatically designates waypoints to pass and speed + altitudes to achieve to get over the top.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Firstly, you want to engage engine anti-ice along with rotor anti-ice.

Secondly, your best climb (time) rate is at 130km/h.

Thirdly, the F10 map displays the elevation of terrain at the point under the cursor which is good to scout out the best (lowest) crossing point.

Lastly, if you really have to, increase throttles beyond auto to maximum.

I had this same problem also until heard that you climb better when you move. When you reach the mountain top and cannot go forward anymore just turn back flying 130 km/h for awhile then turn back and you'll have have plenty of alt to clear the mountain. Keep the collective just below the position where you get the yellow warning lights.

Edited by Kaitsu

ok i must be doing somtjhing wrong, I take off, turn and maintain general runway heading at about 130-150km have a good climb going, get warning to turn on rotor de-ice, do that, continue to climb, get up to about 4200m and then i just lose my climb ability

4200 m is plenty high enough. If you follow the waypoints in that mission the highest point is at about 3500 m.

If you really want to get even higher you probably have to get the helicopter lighter by getting rid of some weapons or fuel.

ahhhh....exactly the same thing happen to me ... making the mission impossible to finish!

-LuKariello-

Never say impossible! Reasure yourself that lots of people have managed to get over the mountains so it is only a matter of time before you manage to do it to! :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

I manage to make it to the other side the second time i flight that mission by gaining altitude from the start of the mission and until i reached the hills, i gain enough height to pass them. I also slow down to around 80. Also as other said enable anti ice.

Edited by connos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

It looks like in your track you never turned on engine anti ice. You also didn't turn on rotor anti ice until you were at 3750. Lastly you didn't have any forward momentum.

Try tuning on both engine and rotor anti ice at 3000 to use those as a preventative measure, and keep the forward momentum. Also try to stay on course. Route mode works good on those long rides. ;)

It looks like you overstressed something that lead to the failure, but I didn't catch it or hear the warning. I'm guessing from trying to climb without any forward momentum caused that because you weren't moving when it happened.

Thanks all, It was me not turning on engine de-ice that caused the problem. After that it was no sweat to get over the mountains, although the fight waiting on the other side took a few tries...

It's a great mission and a great test of mountain flying airmanship. To those still struggling, remember that you gain more lift when you have airspeed up over about 40-50 km/h in the translational lift range. Don't slow below that. Pull collective until the rotor RPM is just bouncing off the bottom limit, keep your airspeed over 50 (ideally 130), make sure you have your anti-ice on and you should be good. Aim for a gap in the mountains, don't just blindly follow the set course.

The first time I did it I just barely scraped over the crest - in the end I had to cyclic climb using up my translational lift buffer to clear the ridge.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes: