LockOn Sounds Project

Frazer

We see a lot of aircraft and terrain mods created by the community for LockOn, which is great. Though, I think the sounds in lockon stay behind. In my opinion, sounds make the sim for a big part and are at least as important as nice looking terrain or 3d model.

There are quite some limitations regarding the sound system of lockon but there is still room for improvement, also over previous sound mods.

I've created two ALPHA versions of the Su27 and F16 project.

LockOnSoundsProject_Su27_AV1

(Read the README please)

LockOnSoundsProject_F16_AV1

The idea is to create a sound mod for every aircraft, this may seem a bit odd but if you want the most realistic sounds possible within lockon, this is the only way to do it. The reason for this is easy, there are simply not enough sound files in lockon (multiple aircraft use the same sounds).

The following aircraft are planned for the first official release.

Su27 / Su33

Mig29

F15

F16

F18

To make this project work out as good as possible I need help from the community though. Every one of you has aviation videos on their hard drive and I need those, rare high quality ones without music or other environmental noises (like people chatting, blowing winds and so on).

If you have movies like that, please contact me by PM or email so that I can give you the FTP address for uploading.

Greatly appreciated.

Edited by Frazer
  • Like 2

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We used Frazers sounds at the LLTM-Live-Demos. We put the volume up and turned the bass close to max. The room was shaking!!! Great feeling, I can tell ya!!! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Thanks guys, I'm really glad you all like the sounds :)

Still though, the project is far from done. These sounds are not sampled from the best quality movies out there and I ran out of resources. Some sounds are only a "guess" in the right direction.

I'm really going to need movies like I subscribed in the first post. Please all, run though your movie collections and see if you find moments in them with good sound for 6 or more seconds.

The sounds (any aircraft type) i'm still looking for are:

FrontEngine: Howeling sound of approaching jets in the air, for as long as possible time. Jets making multiple turns during approach would be the best, even more if this happens in the mountains.

BackEngine: Recorded from jets on the ground with a certain distance. The sound should not overpower the microphone.

Flaps/AB/Gear/Canopy sounds: Recorded during maintenance or something, normally you will never really hear these sounds since the engine is too loud.

CockpitSystem sounds: Cockpit sounds when airborne, during cruise as well as slow flight (landing).

In special, I need F18 sounds (any situation), this jet makes very typical sounds and I haven't been able to find anything good yet.

NOTE: No music or environmental noises (like people chatting, blowing winds and so on).

PM or email me (lars.hofman@gmail.com) and I will provide a place to upload the movies.

Highly appreciated :thumbup:

Edited by Frazer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for your work Frazer. I not sure how to help but I will try to find some sound files or something. I think it would be hard finding proper sounds since most are ether capture by the pilots mask mike, and not truly how you would hear them in the cockpit or by video cameras, and sound microphones are easily overpower by the 180+ decibels of a jet engine.

I wish a had at least a camera I could go to work and record some stuff. So many sound you guys do not get to hear from videos, little details, like hearing the fuel slosh around as the aircraft moves, Giros spinning, etc. Can not wait to hear the results of the final product. :thumbup:

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Do you need inside or outside sounds or videos?

To bad we do not have a Lightning in the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWRPJcQXkL0

This look and is so dangerous, not sure if the sounds help do

F-18 low pas in AB, mountain background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9VEEqLGzVo

Harrier in whales, low level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-AgSDkoFMw&feature=related

F-15E take off

F-16A PW-220

Another

Cockpit F-15 take off

I hope this helps man, if not let me know and I will stop.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

You certainly helped there with giving great examples of what i'm looking for. Only great examples though, since in most movies the microphone was boosted, people chatting or winds blowing. Never the less, I will try to use it. Thanks!

What I'm really hoping for to find are movies like these: Link

Good quality and great sounds. The Mig29 cockpit sounds turned out to be the best so far.

Speaking of cockpit sounds, as you can see in these movies the camera recorded the true cockpit sounds. You can debate about it though, if this is fully real to implent in Lockon. Normally, a pilot has a helmet on, which reduces these sounds to the minimum to be able to hear more important things like warnings and radio comms.

I made a choice there and went for the more exciting, letting the lockon pilots experience these cockpit sounds much more intense then a real pilot would.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Frazer, did not mean to overwhelm you with You Tube videos. Any way,

Realistic is not always the most fun. I like the noised to know if I have afterburner since I can not feel the aircraft tremble. Noise is very good for many other indications that we do not have. Real pilots get to feel the aircraft movement and that helps. We do not have those cues and I think sound is a good way of doing that or at least helping the visual cues. Perfect example for sound cues that we need is RWR. In many videos you can hear aircraft like F-18 with different tones for different treats. Falcon 4.0 also uses a lot of this and I know many guys that can tell you how a MIG-29 sound as a RWR treat.

If you are going for realism; you could always muffle the sounds in US aircraft. USAF pilots use Ear plugs plus the helmet muffles sound as well. They also use this with their helmet:

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123068488

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Frazer, here's some sound files I recorded from a Serbian MiG-29A cockpit video, these include cockpitsystems and Airbrake:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=647717&postcount=50

Cockpit systems are a bit too loud, (I couldn't hear anyone in TS) so you should normalize that file before you finalize it.

Airbrake is a record of a Coke bottle being opened with slight pitch correction I used to get that "Whoosh" of hydraulics!

Feel free to use 'em!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eject sound - "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

Lars, isn`t yours scream? :smilewink:

Hehe, no thats not me :D This screaming sound comes from Falcon 4. It has nothing to do with reality, though its just so freaking funny to hear that on ejects (especially of a shot down pilot flying by your cockpit) :D

Sorry Frazer, did not mean to overwhelm you with You Tube videos. Any way,

Realistic is not always the most fun...........They also use this with their helmet:

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123068488

No problem, you gave some great examples which are very useful to find the right stuff :smilewink:

About the afterburner sounds, I personally never liked to hear them that loud or that obvious. Same for other sounds like airbrake/gear/flaps.

At first, I will create the sound mod to my personal likings but because everyone has their own preferences, I will include a full "Sound Tutorial".

Frazer, here's some sound files I recorded from a Serbian MiG-29A cockpit video, these include cockpitsystems and Airbrake:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=647717&postcount=50

Cockpit systems are a bit too loud, (I couldn't hear anyone in TS) so you should normalize that file before you finalize it.

Airbrake is a record of a Coke bottle being opened with slight pitch correction I used to get that "Whoosh" of hydraulics!

Feel free to use 'em!

Thanks a lot! I actually used these movies also to create the mig's cockpitsystem sounds and my version ended up very close to yours :smilewink:

The only thing I left out is the med/high pitched sound which comes up when the pilot puts a certain system on. This sound doesn't go up and down together with the power setting so I left it out. This sound is also a very annoying and might even be bad for the ear to receive for longer periods.

Edited by Frazer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

You probably noticed that Med/High pitched sound as you call it should go off once supersonic but you already mentioned and most of us know that LOMAC/FC has a very modest sounds library and general sound handling!

IMHO, number of sounds available should be quadrupled to get something out of it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Falcon forum at Frugals is down right now, but have you tried Gunnys soundpack? It´s for Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. Don´t know about copyright though, but my guess it will be ok to use them I think. Can´t find the link as the forum is down, but I have the pack as a zip on my HDD. Just woundn´t send it before asking the author.

Edited by Kaptein_Damli

My moviemaking channel at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertDamli