Quick to configure ABRIS and LCD mini monitor

JAG

Hi guys, I want to share this with you, because I have received a lot of help from many guys in the forum, and want to give back some of that help.

Here I will explain how to configure lua files to show the ABRIS on a second monitor, in this case a Samsung U70 7" USB LCD monitor.

At first things look a little bit harder, but they are not complicated at all.

One important thing is the resolutions of the monitors, in this example I used a Main one with a resolution of 1440x900 and a mini monitor with a resolution of 800x480.

Before getting into the action we need to do a few things. Enter to the screen properties windows and select configuration, then select from the dropdown box the second monitor and enable the option Extend the desktop to this monitor.

In the same windows you will see a Image showing two monitors, number 1 is the main monitor, and numer 2 it's in this case the mini monitor. If the image of the second monitor is at the left of the main one, click on it and drag it to the right of the main one, and when you see a box with coordinates, move it until you see 1440x0 coordinates, then click OK.

If your main monitor use a higher resolution, don't worry, the procedure it's the same, for example, if the resolution is 1920x1024, move the second monitor, until you see the coordinates 1920x0.

monitorconfig.jpg

As the ABRIS is showed vertically, then we must rotate the screen on the second monitor. If we were doing this for the shkval, we don't rotate the screen.

rotationn.jpg

Now we need to calculate the area that will show the cockpit and the ABRIS, and we obtain that value from the sum of the width from first monitor and second monitor in this case 1440+480 = 1920. We sum 480, because the ABRIS is showed vertically instead of horizontal, if we are doing this for Shkval, then the total area will be 1440+800=2240.

Enough of complex maths, let's go to the action. Now we need to modify and create lua files. Before this, make sure you are using a proper editor for this kind of file, there is a free one and popular called Notepad++, it's a free editor, just google it, and you will find it quickly, or if you are familiarized with this, use your favorite one.

The first file you need to modify is options.lua located in ...\Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts\ open it and go to the final of the file, once there you need to change a few values.

luafile1.jpg

The last file we need, will store our dual monitor configuration and we could create it or modify one of the existing in ...\ka-50\Config\MonitorSetup, I recommend you to open one of the availables, and modify the values. Open the file Shkval+Camera.lua and you must see something like this in your editor:

luafile2.jpg

Next we modify the next values:

luafile3.jpg

Once all the values are in place, save the file as Camera+ABRIS.lua, later you can change the name if you like, and make sure to save the file in ...\ka-50\Config\MonitorSetup.

Now open the sim, go to options and in MONITORS: select Camera+ABRIS, yes it's the file you created recently and if you see it there that means you saved it in the right folder.

UPDATE: The FULL SCREEN option must be unmarked.

Save the changes on the options screen and begin the instant action mission. When the mission is loading you should see the second monitor showing a part of the background screen, that's normal. When the mission is ready to start, start it and you should see the ABRIS in your mini monitor, now you are ready to navigate to some target and blow up a lot of stuff.

I hope you find this guide helpfull, and have fun.

Saludos

totalarea.jpg

Edited by JAG
update
  • Like 2

Quick guide to configure ABRIS and LCD mini monitor

Quick Countermeasure Editor v1.3.0

Core i5 3570K 4.0Ghz | GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD | Crucial M4 120GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ | ASUS GTX 670 | AOC LED 23" | AOC LCD 24" | HYBRID DUAL THROTTLE (SAITEK THROTTLE QUADRANT + SUNCOM DUAL THROTTLE) | CH FIGHTERSTICK | SAITEK PRO PEDALS |

Thanks!

It should be noted that adding second monitors at different resolutions will totally mess up your multiplayer menus. The reason is that in singleplayer menus, only your main screen is used. It's not until you get in the simulation part that it adds the other monitors.

In multiplayer, the menu remains a rectangle, but is stretched to the height/width values you set in your options.lua. (which is the total width of all your monitors, and the total height of all monitors, or most commonly, the height of the largest one.) So, for example, if your second monitor is only 600 tall, but your main is 1080, you have the bottom right of the screen unavailable. I will try to illustrate this....

For Vista/Win 7 users with UAC on, you will need to edit your options.lua in this folder:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts

You can change the resolution in the options.lua if you like. Just make it match your main screen resolution. Sometimes when testing new layouts, its easier to just change it there instead of in the game. You can also edit the ["multiMonitorSetup"]="blahblahblah" to reflect what file you want to use instead of picking it from the in-game menus. That way, as soon as you launch the sim, you can just hit "instant action" and test out your changes.

Edited by walker450

Was a pleasure :thumbup:

Saludos

Core i5 3570K 4.0Ghz | GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD | Crucial M4 120GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ | ASUS GTX 670 | AOC LED 23" | AOC LCD 24" | HYBRID DUAL THROTTLE (SAITEK THROTTLE QUADRANT + SUNCOM DUAL THROTTLE) | CH FIGHTERSTICK | SAITEK PRO PEDALS |

Yes, this guide was made for windows xp, but I supose it could works for vista too.

Cheers

Well I tried it to the letter and all I got was a blank screan. I could hear the game running in the back ground.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Please, could you post the resolution of your monitors and your lua files?

problem 1. If I set up the moniters like 1st pic and have lua. files set for my screan size. BS wont even start. Now if I go and combine the two moniters into 1 screan (my main screan goes to my lowest setting 1280 x 1024, realy makres my main screan look like crap (1680 x1050). The game runs loads mission but git no viedo of in CP or abris. but can hear it running in the back ground.

I have 2 8800gt not in SLI. I tryed having the second mon on both cards. the only way I can combin the two mon into one is have both on the same vid card. I will make a video for you and post it latter.

I had it working along time ago but culd not get main screan to look right. I may just wait till I get Win 7

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Both lua files are confuse. Let me guess:

Is your main monitor resolution is 1680x1050?

Your second monitor is a mini lcd monitor or a big lcd monitor and what's the resolution you are using?

Let's assume both monitors have a resolution of 1680x1050

Your options.lua must look like this:

options =

{

["difficulty"] =

{

["padlock"] = false,

["easyRadar"] = false,

["enemies"] = true,

["setGlobal"] = false,

["immortal"] = false,

["geffect"] = "realistic",

["permitCrash"] = true,

["easyFlight"] = false,

["tips"] = true,

["radio"] = false,

["fuel"] = false,

["hud"] = false,

["aftSwitching"] = false,

["cockpitLanguage"] = "english",

["units"] = "metric",

["externalViews"] = true,

["altTrimmingMethod"] = false,

["myPlane"] = true,

["iconsTheme"] = "russian",

["map"] = true,

["weapons"] = false,

["allies"] = true,

["labels"] = false,

}, -- end of ["difficulty"]

["audio"] =

{

["wind"] = 100,

["radio"] = 100,

["musicEn"] = false,

["engines"] = 90,

["soundEn"] = true,

["effects"] = 100,

["music"] = 16,

["radioSpeech"] = true,

["warnings"] = 100,

["volume"] = 100,

["inCockpit"] = 100,

["mech"] = 100,

["subtitles"] = true,

["gui"] = 50,

}, -- end of ["audio"]

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "mycamra+abris",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 0,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "Medium",

["aspect"] = 1.6,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 1,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["resolution"] = "640x480",

["full_screen"] = false,

["aspect"] = 1.333333333,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

}, -- end of ["display_mode"]

["effects"] = 3,

["lights"] = 2,

["haze"] = 0,

["terrPrld"] = "60",

["height"] = 1050,

["resolution"] = "1680x1050",

["civTraffic"] = 1,

["width"] = 3360,

}, -- end of ["graphics"]

["playerName"] = "CAT",

["views"] =

{

["cockpit"] =

{

["mirrors"] = false,

["reflections"] = true,

["avionics"] = 4,

["russianHud"] = false,

}, -- end of ["cockpit"]

}, -- end of ["views"]

} -- end of options

In this first lua file we changed the width and fullscreen values.

And the next one, the mycamra+abris.lua must be:

Description = 'ABRIS on the right monitor and camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 1680;

y = 100; 'change this to y = 0; if necessary'

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

}

Two things:

1 -If you can see the abris on the second monitor and you see it a little bit below the upper border of the monitor, change the value of the y property from 100 to 0, in the ABRIS section.

2- The ABRIS section assumes you don't rotate the image on the second monitor, If you rotate the image, just switch the values of the widht and height in the ABRIS section, like this

Description = 'ABRIS on the right monitor and camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 1680;

y = 100; 'change this to y = 0; if necessary'

width = 1050;

height = 1680;

}

Hope it helps :smilewink:
Edited by JAG
update

Hail JAG,

I use UM-710 usb powered 7inch monitor that very similiar to yours, so I would like to know your experience,

Since we both use main monitor with higher vertical resolution than 7 inchi ones (mine is 1920*1200 of main monitor, with 480*800 sub monitor for abris), so we are forced to use window mode that will badly decrease fps we get. (BS can get lower 20 fps in my setting). Do you suffer from this too or have better solution can share to me? thanks.

Hi questerymj, about the window mode I'm not sure, I play the game with the max resolution of the monitor 1440 x 960 with fullscreen disabled in the options and the game use the whole screen.

About the fraps, they are lower in my pc too if I use the mini monitor, but it's playable. :smilewink:

I red that an alternative solution could be connecting the second monitor to another video card or something like that, but that's only for monitors with vga or dvi connectors.

I hope the next module include some improvements for this aspect of the game.

Saludos :thumbup:

Hi questerymj, about the window mode I'm not sure, I play the game with the max resolution of the monitor 1440 x 960 with fullscreen disabled in the options and the game use the whole screen.

About the fraps, they are lower in my pc too if I use the mini monitor, but it's playable. :smilewink:

I red that an alternative solution could be connecting the second monitor to another video card or something like that, but that's only for monitors with vga or dvi connectors.

I hope the next module include some improvements for this aspect of the game.

Saludos :thumbup:

Thanks for your reply! I think use window mode will just do same hit on fps to us all. I hope next patch will fix this too.:smilewink:

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

I have 2 samsung u70s that I had first planned to use in combination with

the cougar MFD pack for the LEAVU2 project that will work with FC2.

This is allready set up.

But when I saw this thread I thought I might aswell use my U70s for DCS Black Shark also.

I followed your guide and now I have the Shkval landscape oriented on my first U70,and the abris portrait oriented on the second.

I have to stick to windowed mode,but the fps drop isn't that big I thought it would be.

I've also used the tweaking guide from Frazer.

The game is playable ,sometimes some +-20 fps over big cities and airfields with shkval enabled,but overall 25-30fps.

Thank you for your guide,it helped me a lot to set up my multi-monitor configuration.

greets:)

To see your opponent for who he or she is,is to put your blade in front of their deepest secrets and make them come up front,outward with a defeat or a win.

Hail Schizwiz,

hey,

The game is playable ,sometimes some +-20 fps over big cities and airfields with shkval enabled,but overall 25-30fps.

Thank you for your guide,it helped me a lot to set up my multi-monitor configuration.

greets:)

In my setting with optimize, I got 60-70 fps in 1920*1200 full screen,but 20-25 fps in window mode and nearly unplayable.:( I don't why this different so much...:cry: