have I improved

This is for those who have seen my previous flying ability or lack there of.I tried practicing some menuvering and auto hovering.I'm also trying to figure out how the rudder controls work.It feels like I'm fighting to stay turned in position I'm trying to turn in.If anybody has any advice,I'm all ears,thanks.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hold the trim button while manouvering works for me.... then when your straight and level... stabilised release... heading hold will try to keep you on course.... or some people turn off heading hold while `funky flying`...

keep going :thumbup:

bigdog4215 I saw several problems with your flight. First off your flying really high. Helo's usually stay pretty low. Your hitting over 1000 and should never hit over say maybee 200, your just asking to get shot down. Second off your flying with 2 of your auto pilot chanels off(though they are the less priority ones). Third your fighting your own trim. See that diamond at the top of your HUD, your helicopter WANTS to point that direction. Thats why you feel like your fighting to stay turned. Your stick may be to the left but the little diamond is to the right. The helo WANTS to return to the diamond, so when you release your stick its going to chase after the diamond. Put the diamond on the heading you want with the trim button and let the helo do the work. Hit the trim button while changing headings and watch what the diamond does. Also dont forget you can hit RCTRL ENTER to bring up Controls Depiction. That way you know where your rudder is set. I play on the 104th server about everynight starting at 1045pm CST during the week. I play on and off on Saturday and Sunday. I will work with you everyday if you want till you are satisfied with your flying ability or until I feel I can't offer anything further (you match my skill level or exceed it).

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't really see the point of posting a track. It seems like your calling me out, or telling me to put up or shut up.

• Like 1

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't really see the point of posting a track. It seems like your calling me out, or telling me to put up or shut up.

Posting a track is the best way to get some help around here, it's also very common. Asking to post a track isn't a code for calling you out or telling you to shut up FYI. Uncalled for mate.

Ha ha its no issue at all friend. Ok I'll post a track. I'll have one in a few.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hold the trim button while manouvering works for me.... then when your straight and level... stabilised release... heading hold will try to keep you on course.... or some people turn off heading hold while `funky flying`...

keep going :thumbup:

Thats what I do,but it seems when I use the rudder,I can't get it to stop turning.I'm gonna look into what silver said about that diamond on the hud.

bigdog4215 I saw several problems with your flight. First off your flying really high. Helo's usually stay pretty low. Your hitting over 1000 and should never hit over say maybee 200, your just asking to get shot down. Second off your flying with 2 of your auto pilot chanels off(though they are the less priority ones). Third your fighting your own trim. See that diamond at the top of your HUD, your helicopter WANTS to point that direction. Thats why you feel like your fighting to stay turned. Your stick may be to the left but the little diamond is to the right. The helo WANTS to return to the diamond, so when you release your stick its going to chase after the diamond. Put the diamond on the heading you want with the trim button and let the helo do the work. Hit the trim button while changing headings and watch what the diamond does. Also dont forget you can hit RCTRL ENTER to bring up Controls Depiction. That way you know where your rudder is set. I play on the 104th server about everynight starting at 1045pm CST during the week. I play on and off on Saturday and Sunday. I will work with you everyday if you want till you are satisfied with your flying ability or until I feel I can't offer anything further (you match my skill level or exceed it). I should also let you know that I am a 104th Kadet going through the 104th training acadamy and that this training is a friendly gesture and not representative of the 104th training acadamy standards(wich I just started and have already learned alot).
I would take you up on your offer but my paps is on quite a bit.

Trim

In this video I set a variety of trim's. I went into hover and yawed the helicopter so you can see how it chases the diamond. Then I took some turns without trimming so you can see how it affects the copter, notice the sideslip. Then I trimmed out one last time at the very end. You were hitting trim, changeing direction, hitting trim, changing direction. If you just hold trim down until you level out in your new heading you won't have to fight it. Also when you go into auto hover get as close as you can to hover (aim for about 15 to 10) hit autohover and reset trim and let the chopper do the work. Don't even touch the stick it will take care of it by itself. You may have to hit reset trim one more time to get to a perfect 000. Apologies Conuk

Trim.trk

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi bigdog4215,

The keyword here could be "control". As you will se in my track I only trimmed once.

What I like to practise are airtaxi - low and slow flying around the the base at different speeds and of cause slowing down when turning. Try it and then post a track.

Regards

Pingo

Edit: Be carefull not to over do by trimming all the time - it`s you who are flying not the trimmer :D

Re Improved.trk

Edited by pingo

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, ASUS Motherboard P9X79 Pro, Seagate Baracuda Green 2TB SATA 3.0, DCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.6 120GB, HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E, Corsair XMS3 1600Hz 8GB Vengeance CL9, INTEL Liquid Cooling LGA1155 - LGA2011, INTEL LGA2011 Core I7 3.6Ghz - 3820, Silver Power SP - SS850 850W PSU, 24" Benq HDMI LED Monitor

Where do I put the files to watch them

Hi,

The track folder - you can find it in the mission folder ;)

/Pingo

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, ASUS Motherboard P9X79 Pro, Seagate Baracuda Green 2TB SATA 3.0, DCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.6 120GB, HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E, Corsair XMS3 1600Hz 8GB Vengeance CL9, INTEL Liquid Cooling LGA1155 - LGA2011, INTEL LGA2011 Core I7 3.6Ghz - 3820, Silver Power SP - SS850 850W PSU, 24" Benq HDMI LED Monitor

pingo, let me start by saying that was great flying. That said it was low speed (from what I saw of it) and did not help bigdog4215 with the concept of trimming. It was good though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

pingo, let me start by saying that was great flying. That said it was low speed (from what I saw of it) and did not help bigdog4215 with the concept of trimming. It was good though.

Hi,

Np ZQuickSilverZ my get go was more a kind of start slow by gaining control and then later on rock and roll :D.

Two people dont se this kind of track the same way - I saw it more like as he was fighting the "beast" from the first second and the trimming of it didnt bring it home. I se the trim function as a tool to realese the tension on the rudder pedal and joystick, but before that, control (speed, heading and alttitude) have to be established and your intentions have to be clear, then the trim button can be released and you fly from there. All of that can or will happen within seconds as a reflex by planning your flight which isn`t always easy.

There are more than one road to Rome and you will find people her who trim alot and some that dont - Im one of those that dont trim alot.

I find this thread rather good so why not have some more comments on subject and help bigdog4215 to get a kick ass pilot :pilotfly:

Regards

Pingo :D

Ps Have you seen the whole track the speed do get up a bit at the end.

Edited by pingo

I've found this to be a very helpful thread - thanks to bigdog for starting it, and QuickSilver and pingo for the tracks!

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Hi Again,

Another track with alot of trimming according to my standarts and some fast flying, hover, direction change. Hope it give some more sence in what I wrote in my early reply above.

Have some fun :D

/Pingo

A little more trim.trk

Right pingo I see where your coming from. Just in my experience most people that fight the controls do it because the helo AP is trying to follow the set trim point and there trying to turn it away from it. So you got the helo and the pilot fighting with each other. We definately have different flying styles but I give you props you really seemed in control of your Helo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crazy Trimming

Hi pingo. I decided to include another track to show our very different flying styles. I was just kind of playing around in the city to show how I trim the helo. The flight was'nt planed so It is kind of all over the place. I topped it off with a super fast landing (I usually go for more like 60 or so though I think 80 is recommended), though it could have been cleaner but, ya know it was pretty fast so..... I do think I may adopt some of your technique though. Props to you friend for introducing me to new techniques. Now if I could just get Frazer's techniques................. lol

CrazyTrimming.trk

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ZQuick,

I tried what you have suggested yesterday with regards to the diamond on the HUD. What sets the position of the diamond on the HUD? the way point? how to change the heading to where i want to fly the chopper?

Thanks,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

The diamond is either the heading to an active steerpoint or target point, or if none is active, the heading that the trim button was released at.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

so the AP heading hold tries to maintain the chopper with current heading and that heading changes if i have the auto turn to target or it has nothing to do with the heading?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

What Avilator said

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In my experience Heading Hold keeps the Helo from wanting to drift (i.e. sideslip) off course, maybee I am wrong but that seems to be the effect it has for me. Notice if you have it on and have a trim set the helo will want to go toward it even at an angle (It wants to fly at an angle causing you to fight to turn it). Perhaps one of these other guys can explain it better. Autoturn To Target (ATT) makes your heading center with the piper. I have never used it outside of hover. It makes the helo chase it kind of like it chases the diamond. Go into a hover and activate your vickers and just slew the piper around. See what happens? The helo chases it around, You can actually turn your helicopter just by slewing your piper and not even touching the cyclic. I think I answered your question if not tell me and I'll try agian. By the way did anybody watch my track? I'm open for technique critique. If needed I will make a track and demonstrate ATT for you, just ask. I need to leave so it will be later tonight before I can pose one though (about 11pm CST).

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]