My modest MFCD Panel + Poor Mans UFC

CubPilot

MFCD Panel

Thought I would post about the UFC that I have setup for my MFCD panel. This panel isn't in a full blown cockpit, it just sits on the desk and houses the TM MFD units with 8" monitors (#YN8088AV 8" VGA AV TFT LCD RCA XGA Display Monitors I bought off eBay) behind them and soon my poor man's UFC, the main monitor sits behind this panel.

p1030331.jpgp1030331.jpgp1030331.jpgP1030331.jpg

The panel in it's construction phase is shown above, is made of 1/2" MDF board. When it gets warmer I will paint it.

P1030330.jpg

The pic above shows the back of the panel and how the 8" monitors are attached. The screws for the four shinny tabs screw into the wood blocks at each side of the monitor. The TM MFD's are stuck to the monitors with double sided tape at the top and bottom (keeps the tape off the monitor screen). I used the back half of the case the monitor was enclosed in to cover up the wiring and hold the monitor PCB's. I cut the bottom front half of the case off that has the monitor control buttons on it and placed it at the top, attached with a couple small nails.

P1030326.jpg

The wood blocks at each side of the monitors are used to hold the screws to secure the monitors to the panel, much better than using MDF material that doesn't deal with screws as well as wood. The long dado below the monitors will allow a MDF piece (not shown) to be attached at 90 degrees to main panel and shims used under it to tilt the panel slightly when set on the desk top. The main panel below this piece will be below the desktop and stop the panel from moving away from the user while pushing buttons.

Poor Man's UFC

I would have loved to make the UFC replica posted elsewhere in the forums (the guy who did this did a fantastic job!), but it won't fit between my MFD's. Having the UFC above the MFD panel isn't an option for me, it would block the bottom of the main monitor.

I chose a Genovation 682-U Keypad (USB version shown below) as it would fit between the MFD's. It has 35 programmable keys and a second key layer that adds 35 more (using one key as a shift key to choose key layers). Each key can be programmed to do multiple key strokes or with key modifiers (CTRL, ALT,SHIFT, etc) with one push of the programmed key. I tried to keep the original UFC key layout as best I could except for those keys that are not used by the sim. The keys that were left I used for other things I thought would be handy to have on the keypad. The CTR Track IR key is on this keypad because the keypad has F 13 - F24 keys that can be assigned. By using F13 I don't have to use any other keys for the Track IR centering key that conflicts with the default sim key assignments. I plan to take the top and bottom enclosure off the UFC keypad/PCB unit. Then fire up the router to lower the keypad/PCB unit into the panel so the keys aren't sticking out so much from the panel.

P1010285.jpg

This keypad has two layers activated with the upper left key. When the second layer is active a LED will be lit on the key. I plan to have keys for Communications use plus other things with the remaining keys of the second layer. I will need a key map below the keypad (or somewhere) to show the second layer key assignments.

To get this to work I first determined my own key assignments for the various UFC keys (taking into account what key assignments A-10C Beta4 uses for other things in the sim) and programmed them into the keypad. The key assignments are then programmed and loaded into the keypad using the keypad software. The code is saved to a file, then downloaded and stored in the keypad, no need to load it for each use.

The next thing was to edit the Keyboard.lua file so that the UFC key assignments are available for modifying them by the user (me) in the Options/Controls screen. NOTE: The Keyboard.lua file does not need editing in DCS A-10C Final Version, skip this step and continue with the next paragraph.

After that it was a simple matter to open the sim to the Options/Controls screen and select the UFC item from the list and add the new key assignments by pressing the appropriate key on the UFC keypad.

I now have a working UFC that interfaces with the HUD and MFCD's without having to use the main keyboard (with multiple key presses/command) or using the mouse to click in the screen cockpit UFC. My modest UFC keypad keeps my hand on the stick, much better! biggrin.gif

UPDATE

I fired up the router to make room for the keypad and did some painting ( and to add to the spam :megalol:).

P1010289-1.jpg

The front view routed out for the keypad and its PCB's. It required three depths of routing due to the design of the metal keypad base and the PCB'S.

P1010290-1.jpg

Back view of the keypad mounting. If the MFD panels were any closer together I would not have room for the keypad, whew.... :gun_sniper:dodged a bullet there!!

P1010292-1.jpg

The keypad fits! The two notches (middle top & bottom of the keypad metal base) will be used to fasten it to the panel with two small screws. I made a molding to go around the keypad to finish it off (after a bit of swearing on my part). Epoxy is a great fix for those brain farts while using the router! Can you find my brain fart above (hint, the router bit is round)?

P1010295-1.jpg

Rear view of keypad. The white connector at the right is for the keypad USB cable.

P1010296-1.jpg

The TM MFD Panel is installed into its panel cutout. The USB cable routes out the back side of the panel and cannot be seen from the front. I put a piece of black electrical tape vertically (not shown) on each side of the MFD panel where it meets the main panel to block any light from the monitor coming through the crack. The tapes sticky side is towards the TM MFD panel and the main panel so it doesn't get onto the monitor screen. The monitor screens and covers were installed next.

P1010308.jpg

Rear view of both TM MFD Panels, the monitors (#YN8088AV 8" VGA AV TFT LCD RCA XGA Display Monitors I bought off eBay), and the keypad installed. I added a four port USB hub as I was running out of USB ports on my computer. It can be used unpowered or powered. The keypad only draws 10ma, but Im sure the MFD panels draw much more with all the LED's that are in them, so I have the USB hub powered. I haven't had any problems using this USB hub with these components. The monitors run on 12v DC, so they are supplied with 120v AC to 12v DC transformer/plugs (shown at left and right). The USB hub also has a transformer/plug (shown in the middle). The VGA connectors on the monitors point straight down. The horizontal MDF panel (below the monitors on the back side) prevents hooking the VGA cables to the monitors VGA connector, so a 90 degree VGA adapter is used to remedy that situation. The cables not shown hooked up are the two VGA cables and the USB hub to computer USB port cable.

P1010305-1.jpg

So here's the front view with everything hooked up and DCS A-10C running. At the lower left I have a piece of wood under the panel base to tip it up slightly, just testing now to find the proper angle. I will attach two blocks to each side after the testing period. The bottom lip is below the desktop so the panel will not move away from me in the heat of battle.

What commands I want assigned to the keypad is still a work in progress, but it is easy to change as I determine what items are the most important to have in front of me and one key press away.

Only problem is the keypad keys are not lighted so a dark room it is a problem. I plan to make a ledge similar to the top of the A-10C instrument panel where the fire extinguisher handles are. I have some green LED's coming, along with a dimmer, and I hope that the LED's mounted under the ledge will be enough to illuminate the keypad keys properly. I may have to modify my keys colors due to the green LED's, but that is easily changed. :pilotfly:

NOTE: To see the latest evolution of this little panel GO here to post #25. This thread got hijacked just a bit, the link may save you some time.

Edited by CubPilot
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up. When programming your Keyboard/keypad be sure to set your UFC key assignments as "repeating" keystrokes. I didn't do that at first and as a result the buttons & rocker switches did not always move on the main monitor UFC, only every 4th or 5th keypad push would result in the main monitor UFC switches moving. Setting the UFC keys as repeating keys fixed the problem. The other non UFC keys I have on my keypad don't need to be repeating keys.

Edited by CubPilot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5

What is UP with the SPAM????? #4!!!!!!!!!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Nice :) I'm looking for two 8-inch monitor's for the MFD's, can anyone recommend a (preferably) cheap solution? I take it it has to be 800x600 resolution? (4:3)?

Hello DE, I did a search on Google, (8" monitors, UK) Several came up, but being in US, I don't know the Companies, I have heard liliput is good, Also that USB Monitors are NOT working, Good Luck, Jim:)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

So, USB monitor's wont work for the MFD's?

let me search forums, but what I remember is NO they will not. It is related to GPU and MFCD Export. I will look.

Mulli Monitor and display thread, 2 pgs where USB's not working, Have not seen a fix, also Seen threads on SCS Sims(Helious) where USB's not working, VGA Does, Would be nice to see DVI?

Edited by celticcoho

Right. Problem is, I've only got one DVI port remaining on my GFX card, so would that mean I have to get a second gfx card?

Second card will cause FPS Big Drop if both cards have monitors connected, Best is all(including MFCD's) comming off one card(or One card in crossfire) I use ati Eyefinity 6 cards in crossfire, I connect up to 6 monitors on one and, crossfired to second.I see alot of set ups driving main View and MFCD's on main card, second card used for such as helios, ETC. Sorry, I know it gets so confusing but biggest hit in FPS seems to be not running main View and MFCD's off of same card!!!:book:

Ps. Other option is another say 22' Screen off of your remaing dvi, EXPORT mfcd'S AND OVERLAY tm mfcd FRAMES WITH BUTTONS, Or Helios to that screen. If The 295 can pull that much???

Edited by celticcoho

Makes sense to me.. But as I have got only two dvi ports ;) That's gonna be troublesome... Would a secondary 16" monitor (dvi or vga) work for this purpose? I suppose so?

I am like you, I believe it would! depending on the connection, many adaptors out there for you to make it happen. But also remember, once Mfcd's are extracted, you must use Windows mode, Full Screen will not work, Even though many of us wish it did. Cheers my friend, Sorry I was not much help, It is a mess when it comes to wanting and doing what we want, lol:thumbup: I have a 3 monitor set up for main view, works great in Eyefinity, and I can drive my 3 touch screens too, The killer is Windows mode when i have all six screens, So I am back to 27"main and my 3 touch screens. My set up pushes 4gb of GPU Memory...I will find an answer..Just doesn't happen overnight,, I say why not...Let me know if it works for you, Cheers, Jim ...In reality, I could drive 12 screens(not in crossfire), but between the Drivers and DCS extraction only in windows mode, this does nothing for me either..Just a perspective....

Edited by celticcoho
spelling

Makes sense to me.. But as I have got only two dvi ports ;) That's gonna be troublesome... Would a secondary 16" monitor (dvi or vga) work for this purpose? I suppose so?

Make the connection!!! Export Mfcd/s, You can position them and I believe even Size them with DCS Lua config. Should work, How much FPS hit, I do not know, only know it is better off same GPU.:thumbup: best of luck. Jim;)

Edited by celticcoho

So, USB monitor's wont work for the MFD's?

I'm using 2 Mimo iMo USB monitors they are working ok. Still have to manually tweak the .lua files to get it to display where you want per Kuky's thread. Also I'm using 2 480 GTX in SLI so previous posts on old beta versions don't seem to be correct for release.

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Black shark multiplayer is different. If the server had lua export turned off it will block you from using them online. Hopefully they update BS to A-10C codebase soon...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Sorry for a little OT but I want to bring this to attention:

you must use Windows mode, Full Screen will not work, Even though many of us wish it did.

When you use SoftTH you can use as many displays as display-ports you have on your computer in fullscreen-mode. The monitors can have different resolution size and aspect.

The new v2.04 is even for 64bit available.

Everyone that still uses the windowed mode to see MFCDs at a second (or even fourth) screen should have a look at it SoftTH.

SoftTH works even with eyefinity and TH2GO and also with usb monitors.

here is an example of Eyfinity with softTh using DCS:

The three horizontal monitors are eyefinity and the lower and upper monitor are configured with Softth.

And here is the point: DCS runs in full-screen mode and you get much better fps .

Here are two other impressive examples what you can do with softth:

dirt2 on 15 monitors

9 monitors in a row
Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

No - you still need to modify your monitors.lua.

But you will be able to run DCS in fullscreen instead windowed-mode and have a higher fps, when using Softth.

Or maybe i'm missing something here because I'm unfamiliar with what you mean with "I.e. without the need for the server to allow lua exporting".

Edited by PeterP

When I try to enter a MP server (which is a FC2 server), I can't join the flight. I can enter the server, and select the aircraft, but when I try to enter the flight, the button to do so has "dissapeared" underneath my secondary monitor (twin monitor --> left = main; right = shkval, abris)..

And I read somewhere that the server has to allow lua exporting for this to work properly..

When I try to enter a MP server (which is a FC2 server), I can't join the flight. I can enter the server, and select the aircraft, but when I try to enter the flight, the button to do so has "dissapeared" underneath my secondary monitor (twin monitor --> left = main; right = shkval, abris)..

And I read somewhere that the server has to allow lua exporting for this to work properly..

In DCS:BS the setting was in the export.lua file. Most FC2 servers unfortunately have it disabled to prevent use of TACVIEW and LEAVU + ERI utilitiles. There are many pages of discussions on this and we are kind of OT and hijacking this guys thread so.....search is your friend :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

• 2 months later...

EEEK! The MFCD panel is growing up.

Got home one day and my little desktop panel seems to have grown a bit! :smilewink:

Something was added to it on all four sides of the basic rectangle shape.

panel_w-additions-1.jpg

Decided I needed flood lighting for the Keypad & new AHCP switch panel, so decided I might as well make a reasonable copy of the instrument panel glare shield. The green LED flood lighting is brighter than it shows in the picture, used a flash for this picture. The LED lighting does a good job at lighting the keypad and the ACHP panel, it can also be dimmed to taste.

Just got done hooking up the AHCP switch panel thru a BU0836 that I use for the rudder axes, thought I might as well use the buttons functions on that board too. Almost regretted doing it that way, built a button matrix breakout board and it started out as the evil.gif "The Matrix from HELL" evil.gif !!! All sorted now. My breakout board was fine, it was the matrix challenged virgin (referring to the lack of button matrix experience) that was the cause of most of the problem. :doh:

All switches work on the glare shield, Fire handles, Fire Bottle, Stores Jettison. At the left is the LDG Gear lever which will also be functional (no need to pull it out to cycle LDG Gear, felt it would be too much work and pulling on the LDG Gear handle might risk pulling the panel off the desktop). The Anti-Skid and LDG/Taxi Light switch will be added to the left wing panel above the LDG Gear handle.

More later. :pilotfly:

Edited by CubPilot
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]