Auto Updater is clearning config files

I just went through the auto updater for the 6055 release and my customizations to files in the mods folder and scripts folder (for interaction with helios and my touch screen) were removed.

Am I going to have to do this for every little patch? :cry:

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

• ED Team
my customizations ... were removed.

They were backed up in .backup_000 folder in the installation folder.

Unfortunately, there's no way to autoupdate AND keep user modifications to game files at the same time.

We are working on a solution to allow all user mods to be loaded from Saved Games\DCS\ subfolders.

Btw, placing aircraft/tech mods in Saved Games\DCS\Mods\ is already supported.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Ooooo. Nice! That's better than what I was expecting. I'll look into putting most of the stuff for gauge exports in the mods directory ASAP.

Thanks! And thank whoever asked that this feature be put in. That makes the process a lot easier and seeing as the directory structure is preserved, very easy to recover from!

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

Can the Autoupdater leave files that we moded if they were not part of the update?

It's bit anoying to have to change them back every time update happens. I don't mind changing if the files I moded were part of the update but why need to "repair" them if they are not part of the update?

No longer active in DCS...

• ED Team
Can the Autoupdater leave files that we moded if they were not part of the update?

Nobody can guarantee that the game will continue to work after update if the mods are left in place.

However, your suggestion is something to think about.

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Nobody can guarantee that the game will continue to work after update if the mods are left in place.

However, your suggestion is something to think about.

If you have a data file (for example the monitors lua file), and the dev's decide to change it for whatever reason, than it get's changed (original backed up off course), but if it's not changed by the dev's, it be left in place?

• ED Team

My opinion is that user mods do not belong to the game installation folder.

They should be placed in Saved Games\DCS\ subfolders.

Currently it is supported for a limited number of moddable areas, but the situation will improve.

My opinion is that user mods do not belong to the game installation folder.

They should be placed in Saved Games\DCS\ subfolders.

Currently it is supported for a limited number of moddable areas, but the situation will improve.

It would be WONDERFUL if this could be made to work for all modded files.

coff thanks for this initiative.

I know dates are rarely given for such things.. but can you give any indication about when you will have time to try and get this feature fully included.

If it is weeks, i'll hold of on much customisation, if its months i'll bite the bullet and apply the numerous modifications i like to use.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

• ED Team

DCS has so many areas to mod, that the support will come in steps. One at a time. Full support: months.

In the mean time, I'm considering making the updater to ask whether to leave user modifications in place or backup them. This one is weeks :)

DCS has so many areas to mod, that the support will come in steps. One at a time. Full support: months.

In the mean time, I'm considering making the updater to ask whether to leave user modifications in place or backup them. This one is weeks :)

Thanks mate.

Just to clarify.. if i add the file structure under Mods from the main directory to the saved game's directory and add my modded files they will be used rather than the ones on main directory.

i.e

\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\CDU\device\modded.lua file

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

c0ff thanks for feedback

So what you are saying we could place moded file into SavedGames/...etc folder (following game folder structure) and they could work and this way autoupdater would not touch them? (oops, MadTommy already asked same question :D)

I'm gonna have to try this out

No longer active in DCS...

• ED Team
Thanks mate.

Just to clarify.. if i add the file structure under Mods from the main directory to the saved game's directory and add my modded files they will be used rather than the ones on main directory.

i.e

\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\CDU\device\modded.lua file

they should not work at such way. mostly because we need to keep in mind safety and cheat avoidance

you can change only cockpit package entirely, i.e. remap used cockpit path to another directory

Edited by Alex O'kean
sigpic2354_5.gif

they should not work at such way. mostly because we need to keep in mind safety and cheat avoidance

you can change only cockpit package entirely, i.e. remap used cockpit path to another directory

Correct me if i'm wrong.. but that means you can use the saved game folder to add a new plane (addon) but not to alter the defaults airframes provided with the game. (a10, ka50 etc)

If so that is a shame.

I'm not really sure how modified files in the main directory are ok for security & safety yet the same modification via saved games is not. I'm sure there is logic here but due to my own lack of knowledge i can't see it.

So in the mean time every autoupdate will remove all modified files to .backup_000 folder in the installation folder?

Edited by MadTommy

• ED Team
Correct me if i'm wrong.. but that means you can use the saved game folder to add a new plane (addon) but not to alter the defaults airframes provided with the game. (a10, ka50 etc)

If so that is a shame.

I'm not really sure how modified files in the main directory are ok for security & safety yet the same modification via saved games is not. I'm sure there is logic here but due to my own lack of knowledge i can't see it.

So in the mean time every autoupdate will remove all modified files to .backup_000 folder in the installation folder?

i said that you can change cockpit package entirely , but you should declare it as valid plugin , it can be placed in Saved Games/DCS/Mods , cause it is valid place for mods , no matter that is ED plugin or not , i don't have such functionality to check that mod is maded by ED , where is my shame ?

local self_ID = "Ka-50 by Someone else"
declare_plugin(self_ID,
{
})

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
make_flyable('Ka-50',current_mod_path..'/Cockpit/Scripts/',nil, nil)--make_flyable(obj_name,optional_cockpit path,optional_fm = {mod_of_fm_origin,dll_with_fm})
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plugin_done()

sort of this plugin declaration will switch Ka-50 cockpit to your scripts entirely

sigpic2354_5.gif

where is my shame ?

The only shame is i didn't understand you correctly. :doh:

I didn't understand "cockpit package".

Thanks Alex

I wish i understood what Alex is trying to tell me. :(

I hate code! I wonder if anyone could explain this to me.

I had a look at the 'How To » DCS Mods structure : How to create your plugin from scratch' thread hoping that might help... well over my had and knowledge of code.

I think i understand the principle but certainly not the practice.

Config\View\View.lua is a rather annoying one as I edit it to "UseDefaultSnapViews = false" so that I can use my own custom snapviews and when DCS updates it changes it back to true.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• 4 weeks later...
I wish i understood what Alex is trying to tell me. :(

I hate code! I wonder if anyone could explain this to me.

I had a look at the 'How To » DCS Mods structure : How to create your plugin from scratch' thread hoping that might help... well over my had and knowledge of code.

I think i understand the principle but certainly not the practice.

I think what he is trying to say is that if you say Copy the KA-50 files then reinsert it as a mod with a different name, then any changes you make will be avalible in that mod.

It will only work for single player and you will have to change the missions to select your aircraft.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey